Best chainsaw for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Best chainsaw for camping

Post by Gwion » 13 Apr 2016, 8:38 am

tom604 wrote::thumbsup: oh and it starts easy not like my stihl :unknown:

Just to repeat myself. The cheap stihls are mostly plastic and made in Thailand or some such. Not that place of manufacture means a great deal if QC is up to scratch but the Stihl flagships are still made in Germany, which suggests they just make the other models cheap for home/occasional use. My old man bought a budget stihl and i borrowed it for a few jobs before i bought my first saw (a husky). In short, i hated the thing. Difficult to start to the point of being unusable. Probably needed a tune, but..... It was pretty new so i don't know if the chain was stretching or the bar wouldn't lock down tight but the chain kept coming loose... etc. If you're spending less and want something to last, go the Husky range, i say; all made in Sweden, i believe(?). As a landscaper, most tree loppers/arbourists, etc i have known use huskies for the smaller saws and stihls for the big saws; so, that's what i have done as well. Not that i am any sort of expert on chain saws, just what i've seen in the trade.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Apr 2016, 8:53 am

I think some of the smaller huskies are assembled in the US, the smaller stihls are chinese made apparently, my chainsaw mechanic doesn't recommend Stihl anymore (he used to be a Stihl man most of his life but not now, they have bearing issues apparently) he's had way too many in with the same issues of late even ones still under warranty have been rejected because Stihl are blaming the owners for the bearing issues instead of owning the fact something is wrong with their manufacturing process at the moment.

Also I don't think the smaller Stihls can be tuned (no adjustment screws in the carbs) which has to be a dumb idea if ever I heard one) cheap and nasty is the best way to describe that setup.

My advice is buy a real chainsaw, not some pile of crap that will let you down when you need it most.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Apr 2016, 9:00 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 14 Apr 2016, 2:27 pm

I'm in similar position Chacka.

I've been shopping around for a saw to cut a nights worth of firewood on 9-10 camping trips a year. No use outside of that.

I went to my local Stihl shop on the weekend.... I'll be buying an Oleo Mac :lol:

Mostly a service complaint here but in any case, it cost them my business so here it is, I made my requirements clear and the guy suggested 'at a minimum' I needed their MS 231 which is a $1,000 saw, and if I wanted something 'good' I should look at the 241, a $1,500 saw... Give it a rest :roll:

Despite my best efforts I couldn't communicate to the guy a $1,500 saw was overkill and he all but ignored my requests for a little information on anything else.

After sending him on his way I had a look for myself at the cheaper ones (these are the Chinese made ones, not German like the 2 above). As others have said, general feel and sense of quality was not inspiring, and you're still talking about a $400ish saw, they're not $150 jobbies from Bunnings. Not peanuts as far as price goes.

As for the Oleo Mac, their entry level one is the GS35 which is about $370. Just seemed ok to me.

The 937 is the first of their 'intensive use' chainsaws and this is the winner for me. Goes for about $440 but for the $70 increase feels like a much better saw than the slightly cheaper entry level Oleo, and against the comparable Stihl felt way better.

I'll be picking mine up this weekend.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

Yep definitely go the Olemac over the chinese crap mate, I think mine is a 936 model (about 12yrs old or more now) and it's been a little rippa of a saw, starts easy, never misses a beat and it's never been serviced either, I think I've put a spark plug in it :lol: and I just clean the air filter every now and again and away she goes, I've cut some bloody big arse gum trees with it too and it just smashed through them with out a fuss.

When I first got it it didn't seem to want to rev our the way I thought it should, so took it back and got them to sort and bloody hell don't she rev now! :wtf: I guess they removed some sort of restrictor or limiter or something but she's a rippa to use now no doubt about it.

Good luck with it mate, I hope she's as good as my little beasty. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 18 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

Got my saw on the weekend and broke her in.

Went with the 937 like I said. This is her.

oleo-mac-937.jpg
Oleo Mac 937
oleo-mac-937.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 7765 times

1.6kw, 16" bar and 4kg. Nice and easy to carry around and use. Price has dropped too, was $470 and now $430 retail.

Ended up getting the saw, fuel can, a bottle of 2 stroke oil and bottle of blade oil for $420 all up so came in under budget :thumbsup:

Starts easy; one pull on the cord with the choke on to splutter it, one pull to start after that and can both be done while standing.

Have only done 20 minutes sawing with it so far but happily cruised through some 10" hardwood logs.

Tick of approval.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Apr 2016, 1:54 pm

Good choice mate should do you for many years
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by chacka » 28 Apr 2016, 5:49 pm

Thanks again to everyone.

Sounds like a good package for the price, Lorgar.

Good to hear some about a brand outside the usual ones too as you do find some gems that way.

Put it through some proper work yet?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 28 Apr 2016, 6:55 pm

WayneO wrote:I have to admit to never, ever having used a chainsaw in my life. Looking at some of these posts I am not to sure I ever want to either.

Dude, you be missing out on a lot of manly fun with that attitude.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Apr 2016, 8:31 pm

This topic might be flogged out by now. But I bought a Stihl MS181 miniboss I bought for camping with a 14" bar with tungsten chain and it has been flogged clearing fencelines on the farm and cutting all my firewood every year for 3 years and my fire runs all winter. And never missed a beat. Leaks a bit of bar oil but lay it on its side in storage and it's sweet. Always starts and runs great. And it's light and small enough for camping/hunting Dad also has an old Stihl farmboss that is over 30 years old that runs and starts as good as a new one.

IMO Stihl are as good as you'll get.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Apr 2016, 9:51 pm

Been busy over the last couple of weekends cutting firewood to feed my wood oven to keep me warm in the man cave over Winter

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by chacka » 02 May 2016, 10:02 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:This topic might be flogged out by now.

Nah keep it coming. Can't have too much info on something.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 May 2016, 10:11 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:This topic might be flogged out by now. But I bought a Stihl MS181 miniboss I bought for camping with a 14" bar with tungsten chain and it has been flogged clearing fencelines on the farm and cutting all my firewood every year for 3 years and my fire runs all winter. And never missed a beat. Leaks a bit of bar oil but lay it on its side in storage and it's sweet. Always starts and runs great. And it's light and small enough for camping/hunting Dad also has an old Stihl farmboss that is over 30 years old that runs and starts as good as a new one.

IMO Stihl are as good as you'll get.

They used to be good, my small engine mechanic who was a Stihl man for 30-40yrs but is no more, he's been seeing a lot of them with bearing issues (new ones) and Stihl just wipe their hands of the problem apparently (they blame the owners for not using the right oil/fuel etc but there are way too many of them having the same bearing fail for that to be the reason (he suspects they have changed bearing suppliers) or specs re hardness or something along those lines.

I'm very weary of these chinese made Stihls too, I certainly wouldn't buy one myself, I'd rather buy an Oleomac over one of them anyday!

The other thing I hear about some of the Stihls is they aren't tuneable which seems real dodge to me, not sure I like that idea either to be honest.

I like the old Stihl stuff however, it seems to be well made and has a good life expectancy (mine gets a good workout each winter as does the little Oleomac and the Johnny will be getting a run once I buy a sharpener for it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 02 May 2016, 2:48 pm

chacka wrote:Sounds like a good package for the price, Lorgar.

Put it through some proper work yet?

Did a tank of fuels worth of cutting on the weekend, amounted to about the same amount of wood as in in Scott's 6th picture (the one with the Tumbleweed Compost Maker on the side).

About the same thickness logs as pictured as well, with a dozen thicker cuts around 12" or so.

Effortless cutting really. Only issue worth mentioning is after half a session cutting I rested the saw to move the wood, about 40 minutes later saw was flooded and would not start.

Easy enough fix though; the back cover comes off by hand, spark plug comes out with the multitool provided, gave the cord 4-5 pulls with the switch in the 'off' position to clear it and after screwing it back together fired right up. 30 second job.

Had that happen twice, but once fired up goes great guns for a little saw.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 May 2016, 3:59 pm

Lorgar,

That's a strange one mate, never had that issue with any of my saws :unknown: Only issue I ever have is with the Jonsereds, its a cast body and once they get hot they can be hard to start again (you can hear the fuel boiling sometimes LOL so generally you keep en going until you empty the tank, then either pick up another saw and keep going or give em a rest for a bit, top em up and get back into it.

I'd take it back and get them to have a look at it mate, no doubt it's a simple fix (when I first got mine it didn't seem to want to rev out like I thought it should so I took it back and they did a bit of a tune on it and man does it rev now! :lol: whatever they did certainly made a massive difference, I've cut up massive gumtrees with that little saw (50-60cm across) the main trunk and it did it without too much fuss at all, you just gotta keep the revs up and chains sharp and it will do the job fine - for a little saw they go very well and aren't that much slower than the bigger ones really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 03 May 2016, 7:17 pm

Hmm,

Yet to be tested but might be a case of chalking this one up to the user.

Spoke to the shop, no cutting required today so still waiting to try out the advice.

As you obviously know... Cold saw = choke start > full start. Warm saw = straight to full start.

Last saw I had was an old dog that needed to be choked every time to fire up, regardless of being cold, hot or anything in between. I was following the same routine with the 937 but possibly the time I was resting between cutting sessions I should have been skipping the choke and going straight to the full start.

We'll see next camping trip :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 03 May 2016, 7:50 pm

happyhunter wrote:Dude, you be missing out on a lot of manly fun with that attitude.

I hear you. Think i will have to pull on a pair of big girl panties and get busy learning how to use one :D
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 May 2016, 9:48 pm

Lorgar wrote:Hmm,

Yet to be tested but might be a case of chalking this one up to the user.

Spoke to the shop, no cutting required today so still waiting to try out the advice.

As you obviously know... Cold saw = choke start > full start. Warm saw = straight to full start.

Last saw I had was an old dog that needed to be choked every time to fire up, regardless of being cold, hot or anything in between. I was following the same routine with the 937 but possibly the time I was resting between cutting sessions I should have been skipping the choke and going straight to the full start.

We'll see next camping trip :thumbsup:

Ah that makes more sense now, more than likely the issue I would say. ;)

Been out using the big scary beasty saw today, that bloody thing is a rippa to use, heaps of torque and just keeps on going and going, seriously got a soft spot for this ol girl. She was smashing through this stuff just like cutting through butter! :D

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 03 May 2016, 10:41 pm

Hey BFS,

You need to come around some time and play with some proper hardwood and a decent saw...084 :D

That wood is more than half rotten already. :sarcasm:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 May 2016, 11:00 pm

Yeah some of it was indeed average, the 084 sounds the go mate, might be a tad big for the stuff I get to play with these days :D I hate cutting in that dirty s**t, bloody stuffs ya edge in no time but if that's all I can find well then that will have to do, so long as I can keep warm I'm happy. I did have some nice red box to burn but most of that's gone now. :(
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 May 2016, 5:28 am

Something else to consider is a tungsten chain mine is I think 2 years old and still cuts like new no sharpening yet.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2016, 5:58 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:Something else to consider is a tungsten chain mine is I think 2 years old and still cuts like new no sharpening yet.

Expensive bastards aren't they. They say they are no good if you hit a rock or are cutting in dirty wood etc and need some sort of diamond files or wheels to sharpen, I've heard good and bad about them and to be honest not sure I'd bother, it doesn't take much to sharpen a chain anyway (couple of mins) I use one of the Stihl 2in1 sharpeners which does the cutters and rackers in one hit so makes it very quick to give em a touch up, I also have a stump vice so if need be I can sort it in the field without fuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpQ8LEjJdQ4

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHAINSAW-BAR ... 0636931738
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 9:46 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah some of it was indeed average, the 084 sounds the go mate, might be a tad big for the stuff I get to play with these days :D I hate cutting in that dirty s**t, bloody stuffs ya edge in no time but if that's all I can find well then that will have to do, so long as I can keep warm I'm happy. I did have some nice red box to burn but most of that's gone now. :(

The 084 doesn't get that much use these days compared to what I used to do cutting White, Yellow and Red Box from 600mm and above felling trees then blocking them up. I used to cut around 3 tonne a day, 7 days a week for months on end until the supply ran out when the owner decided I was going too slow and brought a dozer in to push the rest, stack it and burnt the lot. Probably the best use the 084 got was ripping box fence posts.

The most used saw here over the past 30 odd years was a 75cc Partner with an 18" Bar. It's very sad compression wise these days so I resort to something smaller. I have a Stihl 023 and a Stihl 023c which are probably the handiest thing with plrenty of guts, 40cc with 12" and 14" bars respectively. Also used to run an Atom Borer when fencing. The short bars with micro chains make each saw feel like it's twice the capacity and light so save on the old back pain.

For a general camping saw I'd go with these. A mate bought a couple of new Stihls, one is about 80cc but his favourite is the 40cc MS230 (same as those two above) and it goes with him everywhere. His came with a 16" bar but it wasn't long before he put the 14" on it and it's stayed.

Talk about dirty wood. Try cutting old railway sleepers with a chainsaw. About 3-4 cuts and it's blunt, very blunt. That's where I've heard tungsten chains being used but not often as they do loose their edge cutting all that metal dust and dirt impregnated into the wood over the years. Hit something solid like a hidden nail, piece of wire I believe it will strip teeth of the tungsten chain and then that's big money for a repair. Thought of one many years ago but the minus points outweighed the positives.

Best carry extra chains if you are in really dirty wood and sharpen them all later.

The stump vice is great and quick when you just want to touch up a chain when refueling. Just a round file and a couple of swipes if you know how to sharpen a chain properly. The first thing they teach you if you do a chainsaw certificate course.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2016, 10:00 am

Ya running some ol classics there Lindsay :D I reckon they are better in some ways than the new stuff (should outlast em) as they made em to last in those days, sadly the same can't be said about stuff today.

I too like the littler saws for basic firewood cutting duties, they seem up to the job no worries at all and for camping are perfect. My chainsaw mechanic loves his ol saws too and I've seen some of his 2 man saw collections and they are awesome to say the least, the chains on some of them! FMD big arsed bastards for sure but I guess they had to be to cut the big trees that were around back then.

I think the biggest problem people have when it comes to sharpening chains is the rackers, they forget to adjust them down and wonder why the saw won't cut properly, the other problem with some of em is they put the chains on arse about :lol: my mechanics ol man got given a new saw once that had that exact problem!! :lol: he dropped it off to his son to see what the problem was and he immediately spotted what the problem was, turned the chain around and away it went smashing through wood like nobodies business! :D

I don't cut huge amounts of wood in one go (the body isn't up to that sort of thing anymore) I do carry spare chains with me but never really have to worry about using them as I sharpen before heading out each time and if I really need to do it I have the 2in1 and vice in my chainsaw kit anyway so I'm good to go either way.

Only thing I really need to get for the kit is some wedges (occasionally get a bar stuck) but always have a back up saw with me anyway so no big deal there I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 10:24 am

If you are felling trees then wedges are a must as is a spare blade and chain. Most times two saws but there are also the extras in the tool box.

Just be careful with rackers. They really do not need adjusting all that often. I'd rather use a gauge and check rackers before heading out for a day. Take rackers down too much and you can create a dangerous situation where all the chain wants to do is grab and/or kick.

I used to really enjoy cutting firewood, felling trees etc until I did my back in. Now it's not real fun any more. However the best fun and enjoyment I had many years ago was doing the week long forestry certification courses. First softwood then hardwood training for a workcover certificate I needed for employment. It really opens your eyes watching those trying to learn that have no clue what so ever of how to operate a chainsaw safely yet alone fell just a small tree then trim it of branches without killing themselves. So many things can go wrong.

Anyway, talking about firewood. I've got to go cut some before I run out and looking forward to a mate turning up next week when we'll spend a few days cutting for this winter. I'll get him to do all the bending over and heavy work.

Stay warm.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2016, 10:39 am

The reason I like the 2in1 is it will only take the rackers down to the correct depth so no chance of taking too much off (this setup does everything in one go so to speak) so sharpening is so quick and easy it's not funny and you know the chain is set up to be at it's optimum each time you sharpen it. Not cheap though at around $80 but well worth it and files are around $9 for a set of 2 so not overly expensive and readily available from any Stihl shop.

Yeah cutting wood can be hard on your body alright, that's why I only do a ute load each time, that's as much as this poor worn out ol body can handle these days LOL. And you are right about people being clueless, but we all started out much the same and we've learn't how to do things the correct way without getting injured so all good.

I'm going to give those nylon wedges a go I reckon, I've tried the metal ones and they just didn't want to bite into the tree like I though they should have (you'd belt em and they'd just want to pop straight back out for some reason) we tried a few diff shapes/sizes and all did the same thing so figured I might go the nylon and see how they react, not that I cut many trees down more the buggers on the ground that want to pinch ya bar that cause me grief at times (mind you I can spot when it's going to happen more often than not now) but would be nice to just belt a wedge in and not have to worry about it so much.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 10:55 am

I carry two nylon, two aluminium and two steel wedges in my kit as well as a block buster. The steel one's haven't been used since I got the others many years ago. The nylon has teeth on the sides, the aluminium doesn't but hasn't slipped as yet. I do keep driving them in as I cut and they are used to break the hinge when felling a tree. The biggest mistake I have seen others do is keep cutting until the tree starts to fall.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 May 2016, 11:35 am

Not quite a chainsaw but when having to remove >1000 trees it's more efficient :)
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG (262.76 KiB) Viewed 8882 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 1:30 pm

Oh, a baby crawler. You'd want something a lot bigger than that around here to make a scratch on a 30-50 metre tall box tree. :D

Soil Conservation built some dams for me a number of years back and had to remove a couple large yellow box trees, probably around the 40m high x 1.5m at the base with their Cat D6 and boy did that little toy have fun. Much ripping of the ground to try and break roots, then push a monster pile of dirt to build a ramp to give a bit of height advantage. Some hours later and much pushing the first one came over, very hasty retreat by the dozer before the root system came up and tipped the dozer over. Not the sort of thing I'd like to be doing much of, very risky business.

Then out came the Stihl 084 to cut it into a few sections so the dozer could actually push it away bit by bit. Lots a fence posts and later firewood after it dried for some years.

A different story in scrub size timber.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 06 May 2016, 2:19 pm

WayneO wrote:I have to admit to never, ever having used a chainsaw in my life. Looking at some of these posts I am not to sure I ever want to either.

Depends on the saw and the job mate.

Saws with a lot of ponies are not for the ones to start with, a kick back can really send the saw flying and if you're not handling the saw in a way to manage it or aren't prepared, look out.

The kind of saws for home / recreational stuff with smaller motors can 'kick', but I'd describe it more as a sharp push than a hard kick back. A lot easier to arrest and steer the saw as it comes, usually not more than half a foot compared to a powerful saw which will throw your arms up in the arm for you.

Can be used very safely :thumbsup:

Seek proper instruction, but easy rules of thumb to follow which put safety first are:

1) Get a saw with a brake (probably can't get them without one these days anyway?)

2) When using the saw lock your front arm straight and pivot with the rear arm so if you get a high kick the brake will hit your firm arm and activate it. (Bent, relaxed front arm means less likely to hit the brake)

3) Only cut logs thinner than the bar is long so you never have to use the top corner of the chain. (Google 'chainsaw kick back zone for this)'.

Can all be done safely with a little care :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation