Best chainsaw for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Best chainsaw for camping

Post by darwindingo » 23 May 2016, 10:09 pm

agentzero wrote:
darwindingo wrote:There are other additional protective measures one can take advantage of, such as chaps for example designed to clog the saw chain and help keep the level of injury in check.

The chainsaw chaps are actually pretty amazing IMO.

The first time I saw them and didn't understand what they actually did I was like WTF? Pants? That isn't going to stop anything! :lol:

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first saw them. But after seeing a bloke (accidentally) test his out while wearing them :shock: I now consider them a very worthy investment :thumbsup:

here is a link to one of the many demonstrations out there for anyone that has not seen what they can do :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLl4 ... 0ejn7wB9vM

Cheers

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Releb » 24 May 2016, 11:57 am

That would sure as hell get your attention :lol:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 25 May 2016, 9:19 pm

Releb wrote:That would sure as hell get your attention :lol:

I can assure you it certainly got my attention :shock: and it obviously got his :lol:, seriously though the lucky part was that he ignored the hard time he had been getting from his mates for wearing all the safety gear :thumbsdown: , so much so that it almost caused him to not wear them anymore :crazy: . According to him though, after the fact they are all quiet now :silent: .... :lol:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 28 Sep 2016, 2:28 pm

A little update on my Oleo Mac 937.

Been put through it's paces a dozen more times in the last month. Starts good every time now, turns out the flooding was definitely my fault due to treating it like my old dog of a saw, not the better quality piece it is.

Uses about a tank of fuel each job, run two strokes of the sharpener over it at the end of each use, cuts just as good every time so far.

Works very well for a little saw and $400. Happily recommend for someone doing similar work.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

Good to hear mate, mines about 12-15yrs old now I guess and still starts and goes like the clappers, can't fault them at all, simple air filtration system which is quick and efficient to service, still haven't changed filters in the tanks and really should do that I guess.

I gave mine a quick tune the other day and its purrring like a kitten, I'm amazed how big the wood is this thing cuts to be honest, way about what it should LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

Bow saw, doesn't need fuel. :lol:
Got sick of unreliable chain saws years ago. Just means a smaller fire.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bow saw, doesn't need fuel. :lol:
Got sick of unreliable chain saws years ago. Just means a smaller fire.

I went the other way, got sick of blunt bow saws and blisters :lol: Threw the father in laws one out the other day as I realised it would never see action ever again so no point owning it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

Picked this bad boy up the other day 94cc of pure muscle, a very nice saw to use indeed, it's running a 24-26" bar (haven't measured it as yet) and even that's a bit short for some of the wood around here but still doable (just have to climb over em to the other side and cut that. The XP is the Husky Professional Range, These particular ones are highly sought after by farmers and serious cutters for their durability and pure grunt to get the job done without fuss.

I've got some big apple box trees 1.5m + to cut off fence lines so figured I'd better get something with a bit more grunt and longer bar and happened upon this whilst at my mates place, soon after a deal was done. :D

I've just been out mucking about with it to see how it would go in some hard wood - absolutely lovely to use, heavy at around 7kg but awesome in wood, you let it do all the work and it just pulls and pulls and pulls. I've got all the diff sizes covered now from a small Oleomac, to a couple of medium 50cc+ saws to the 94cc job now so I'm set to tackle anything.

Last edited by bigfellascott on 30 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2016, 7:33 pm

Nice one Bigfella.. The 394's are a very tough saw, used one with (from memory) a 38 inch bar on it few years back, only had about an inch hanging out the other side of the log's... They are nice ballsy saws mate.. :thumbsup:

How much $ she cost ya ?

:drinks:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

darwindingo wrote:Nice one Bigfella.. The 394's are a very tough saw, used one with (from memory) a 38 inch bar on it few years back, only had about an inch hanging out the other side of the log's... They are nice ballsy saws mate.. :thumbsup:

How much $ she cost ya ?

Jeff

She was $800 (not cheap but worth it, hasn't done a huge amount of work so should be good for some time yet, it will manly be used for the bigger stuff around the place and the Stihl 029 super will do most of the cutting duties along with the Jonsereds 621. :thumbsup:

I think they can run a 48" bar on em but don't quote me on it (sure I read it somewhere recently) that would be one hell of a tree to need a bar that size mate! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2016, 8:02 pm

Don't like my chances but I'll give ya $801 for her ? ;)

Anyone that requires 48 inches is doing some serious a$$ cutting... :shock:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

darwindingo wrote:Don't like my chances but I'll give ya $801 for her ? ;)

Anyone that requires 48 inches is doing some serious a$$ cutting... :shock:

No dice, took a long time to find one. Yes I certainly wouldn't like to be hanging off it cutting something that bloody big especially if it's still standing! :D I don't particularly like cutting trees down, too much can go wrong and often does, I'm happy to let mother nature knock em over for me and then I just cut em up from there. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

Doh, worth a try...

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2016, 5:16 am

darwindingo wrote:Doh, worth a try...

:lol: No harm in tryin but when this one falls over it will just be rebuilt and put back into service (they are the type of saw worth keeping and rebuilding when needed, as I'm sure you are aware) hard part will no doubt be trying to source the parts to do so into the future so might have to start collecting parts I guess. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 30 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm

Well, haven't we lost the plot.... :sarcasm:

Since when is a 94cc Chainsaw the "Best Chainsaw for Camping. Quite the opposite. :lol:

Honestly BigFellaScott, when are you going to get a decent chainsaw. These things under 100cc are just toys. :allegedly:

AppleBox which is somewhere between Softwood and a very light Hardwood doesn't really make the grade but begger's can't be chooser's at least it sorta burns. Now when you want to play with some decent wood like White/Yellow Box you might need a saw with some grunt, especially if the wood is very dry and a little 125cc Sthil with a .404 pitch chain, 26" Bar is quite fun to use. Makes short work of the task even if the log is rather big in diameter. :thumbsup:

Felling large trees isn't all that dangerous if you are trained and know what you are doing with the correct equipment. It is far more dangerous attacking a tree that has fallen down and laying proud of the ground. Getting it on the ground and not held up by branches is the dangerous task if you attack it the wrong way. To anyone that is not trained and out in the wild that comes across a downed tree say over the track, be very careful how you treat it and avoid the dangers of jamming a saw blade or even worse have it roll over onto you. It is really a dangerous game for the unwary.

Many years ago I was faced with the task of cutting a tree down that was around 2-2.5 metres in diameter around the base, I had a 75cc Saw (Partner) with a 24" Blade and when I got to the part of actually being inside the tree trunk making cuts it left one feeling quite scared but it all had a huge satisfaction making the final cuts to fell the tree and hear it crash to the ground. Some 40 metres tall it really shook the ground. A couple / few weeks later I had it all cut up, transported and sold. Even though it may have been dead (standing) for many decades it was still quite moist inside and not the best firewood.

Don't think that is a Chainsaw for Camping task and saw either but it would have kept the camp fire going for some years..... :drinks:

My go to handy, do all tasks and carry around saw is a Stihl 023C (40cc) with 14" Blade, same as an MS230. Full Chisel (Micro) Chain and boy doesn't that cut but you must look after the cutters, no dirt and certainly don't let it even dull the slightest.

BTW... Is it my old age and seeing double or is there some other reason for the same photo twice.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2016, 3:31 pm

The apple box ain't worth burning, just gotta get it off the fence line so the fence can be repaired. I think there's a few on the fence line along with some others that should make some good posts (iron bark from memory)

And yep its not what I would class as a chainsaw for camping either (got plenty of others to choose from for that duty) this one was more a want than need but I do love using it that is for sure. :drinks:

Your saw sounds like a rippa Lindsay, I like the 029 super or the Jonsereds 621 I have, both are great for the average wood cutting needs and perfect for camping duties too.

Not sure why there are 2 pics the same. :unknown: will edit the post. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 31 Oct 2016, 1:53 pm

A bit of trivia.... :)

The Eucalyptus know as Apple Box around here is actually two different types, one that grows on the higher drier country and then another that grows in the lower wet areas. The wet area one also known as But-but is soft and not really a hardwood. It doesn't burn very well at all, if at all and leaves black coals that just go out. The other is also known as Bundy and is quite heavy and dense, burns very well and hard to tell much different to box wood as it leaves very little charcoal and white dust as ash. Some call it Barstard Box with leaves that are nothing like any of the other Box Trees.

Very hard to tell when dead until a saw cut is made and/or pick up a piece. One is very light and cuts like crazy, the other is no different really to cutting a piece of yellow or white box.

Koala's like Apple Box and my cattle like chasing Koala's along the ground until they climb and don't come down for hours. It's quite funny to watch when it happens but I usually distract the cattle with some feed to give the little bears a chance to move on.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Oct 2016, 8:12 pm

Thanks for that Lindsay, not sure what version these trees are but will keep an eye out for the differences, if it's worth turning into firewood it will be if not it will be left to rot I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

I've always found that the best chainsaw for pretty much anything is someone else's
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Aug 2017, 10:06 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:I've always found that the best chainsaw for pretty much anything is someone else's

I don't lend any of my gear to anyone anymore, too many times it's come back busted and no one ever wants to put their hands in their pockets to fix or replace them so now it's a flat no f*** off and buy your own gear! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 25 Aug 2017, 11:16 pm

Well the need and the want for a chainsaw finally aligned last weekend when my mates ryobi wouldn't play ball and would bog and stall as soon as i WOT'ed it, so off to the local garden shop, not needing a monster, having only had minimal chainsaw experience, and not needing to swing my dick with something that can easily do some damage i ended up walking out with a stihl ms180 and a few nick nacks to get it up and running, having used it a few times now it's a joy, starts runs just fine ( as i would expect for a week old saw ) just sharpened my first chain this arvo cleaned lubed and re-assembled for tomorrows 4wd track clearing duty, being no stranger to power tools and machinery in general and with a blow out kit on standby.. things went well, it certainly went above and beyond cutting huge stumps for firewood, not a bad little unit and i wont be heart broken if for whatever reason it f*cks out, but with 4 years warranty i'm not fussed, if i find myself using it more i'll get a bigger saw that compliments it, here in Vic pretty much every corner small engine/mower joint is a stihl dealer for whatever reason.

At the end of it, even managed to pull down my mates filthy ryobi for a bit of a service, flipped the bar, cleaned the oiling galleries, etc etc, turned out to be his stale fuel, having then using both, i'd take the stihl any day, but thats just me cheap works, for now :)
Attachments
rps20170825_230416.jpg
rps20170825_230416.jpg (159.23 KiB) Viewed 9884 times
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2017, 8:32 am

The MS180's go alright for a chinga - good enough for what you want it for anyway. A mate and I have cut around 50t of wood this year so far and we will continue to do so through the year (we'll be back out today cutting wood) I use a Stihl 029 super with a .325 pitch chain and 7 pin rim sprocket (just converted it over from a 3/8) so it should cut a little quicker and I also run a 394 Husky for the big wood and I also use a 936 Oleomac for the smaller wood (similar size to the 180 of yours) it too goes very well and has done a lot of work and never given an ounce of trouble ever, little saws can cut plenty of firewood don't worry about that, that little Oleomac has cut up some massive gum trees in it's day (over 2ft in diameter) and never once looked like it wouldn't do it.

If you want a good sharpener have a look at the Stihl 2in1 file setups - they do the rakers and cutters in the one motion which saves a lot of time and mucking around and you always know you chain is set up correctly every time you sharpen it (they aren't cheap but well worth it IMHO)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by p3seven » 26 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

I use a battery powered reciprocating saw. In the Van or 4WD . Will cut up to 12"" (come at it from both sides). Plenty of throw away blades. Use an inverter connected to solar for charging. No petrol to carry. Batteries interchange with drill. Most fallen limbs on road can be taken bit by bit untill heavy branch can be pulled away. Firewood, l don't make big fires.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2017, 8:53 am

p3seven wrote:I use a battery powered reciprocating saw. In the Van or 4WD . Will cut up to 12"" (come at it from both sides). Plenty of throw away blades. Use an inverter connected to solar for charging. No petrol to carry. Batteries interchange with drill. Most fallen limbs on road can be taken bit by bit untill heavy branch can be pulled away. Firewood, l don't make big fires.

That's different and it could be used for cutting up a carcass too :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2017, 9:38 am

Strong arm brand. Always starts and no fuel required. Bunnings sell them.

bow saw.png
bow saw.png (617.28 KiB) Viewed 9870 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 28 Aug 2017, 9:46 am

Bit late but, id go a bunnings mculloch.
Had one for years, was a beast & made by husky.cheap & punched well above
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Aug 2017, 10:07 am

Hi bigfella,
I was actually being facetious. Like you, I learned a long time ago that very few people will show borrowed anything the respect they would if they owned it.
I also try never to have to borrow anything just to avoid being considered one of "borrowing/wrecking" persuasion myself
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2017, 10:27 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Hi bigfella,
I was actually being facetious. Like you, I learned a long time ago that very few people will show borrowed anything the respect they would if they owned it.
I also try never to have to borrow anything just to avoid being considered one of "borrowing/wrecking" persuasion myself

Yeah I'm the same mate, I really don't like borrowing anything but if I do I will treat it better than my own stuff (if that's even possible) as I tend to look after stuff pretty well and if in the event I break it or damage it I will cover the costs for repair or replacement if it's needed, it's just the way I work (why should someone be out of pocket for something I did type thing). :thumbsup:

Quite simply it's a respect type thing for me, I appreciate what someone had done for me so I show the same respect to them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2017, 10:36 am

Was out yesterday cutting a load of wood (stringy) got all the cutting done and started loading the ute and trailer and the snow started flying, we got most of it loaded but figured we'd better get going out of the gully we were in before we spent the next few days there! :lol:

I think we are up around 8t of wood for the week and getting onto around 60t for winter so far and still have plenty cut up on the ground ready to load but still have a heap to cut up yet (a good 500t or more at least) - she'll be a busy few years I feel but the little 029super should be up to it (I hope) :D the .325 rim sprocket and bar/chain upgrade seems to be going well, very happy with it so for, only negative is the Chinese chain is a little stretchy but hopefully it will settle down soon enough) so far for $17 a chain it's going great (2 tanks of fuel and still haven't sharpened it) and it's cut some dirty wood too (normally I sharpen every tank but wanted to see how this went before I needed to really sharpen it - so far so good and the stretch seems to be getting less and less so that's great too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Aug 2017, 1:29 pm

Bigfella
Beside the point because I doubt they are still avsilable, but I bought a little 18" Partner Professional 5500 in the 80s thats seen more wood than the porn industry in the last 30 yrs and still only takes 2 or 3 tugs to fire up and works like a navvy. I think they were a Husqvarna product.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation