Best chainsaw for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Best chainsaw for camping

Post by AusTac » 03 Oct 2017, 9:08 pm

Well for those that said chainsaw no1 was good for a chinga, heres my 4wd/camping chainsaw mkII 76.5 cc's of german fury
Attachments
rps20171003_220609.jpg
rps20171003_220609.jpg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

Im looking at a husky 450e as a general bush saw, no bulk firewood or homesteading.
Anyone here got experience with one?
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2018, 5:17 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Im looking at a husky 450e as a general bush saw, no bulk firewood or homesteading.
Anyone here got experience with one?

It should do the job fine, 50cc is a good size for all purpose duties - I've been out today cutting 2 big loads of firewood and a 3rd almost cut ready for pick up tomorrow, all we used was a 445 Husky and my Oleomac 936 (36cc saw) they both handled the job fine. Only thing I don't like about these new bred of saws in the lack of adjustability in em, not sure what the saw you're looking at is like but I like adjustable oilers and the ability to tune the saw for the different situations as it's needed.

Good luck with it all and enjoy the new saw. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Oct 2018, 5:37 pm

Cheers big fella, yeh not much luck with tuning ability on this saw, gotta spend another $500 for the "professional" version but I cant justify the cost on top of the $900 already.
Ive got a cheap 35cc but those bigger logs keep calling my name.
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2018, 8:12 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Cheers big fella, yeh not much luck with tuning ability on this saw, gotta spend another $500 for the "professional" version but I cant justify the cost on top of the $900 already.
Ive got a cheap 35cc but those bigger logs keep calling my name.

The other option worth thinking about is going 2nd hand, there are some good bargains out there to be had if you know what you are looking at. All mine bar the little Oleomac were 2nd hand and have been brilliant.

Anyway mate good luck with the purchase, hope it works out well for you. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Oct 2018, 8:59 pm

Little saws do a marvelous job for their size I've got a Stihl 14'' bar and had it for 15yrs still going ,first pull
Cut strainers and other fence posts as well as camp saw just remember right oil mix, chain oil ( not engine oil ) and sharp chain and bar in good condition
You won't have a problem 10yrs before it had to be retuned and some plastic hose and parts replaced as they cracked with old age
Member-Deleted

Post by JimTom » 12 Oct 2018, 9:29 pm

I just take a Stihl Mini Boss. Does everything I need it to.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by FNQ » 07 Feb 2019, 8:40 pm

Husky 236e hands down.
Carry a spare chain.
I’ve abused mine and it still runs

Avoid ebay Chinese as I’ve been there done that and won’t ever again
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 07 Feb 2019, 9:50 pm

AusTac wrote:Well for those that said chainsaw no1 was good for a chinga, heres my 4wd/camping chainsaw mkII 76.5 cc's of german fury

The 461 these are a very good saw I just not long bought one for my son and was very surprised how it pulled a 24" b&c in .404 .
Just the ticket when you come across a 3' tree across the track .
Congrats .
And they are even stepping on the heels of a 660 with a muff mod and a 10* timing advance and a carb reset .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Feb 2019, 9:04 am

deye243 wrote:
AusTac wrote:Well for those that said chainsaw no1 was good for a chinga, heres my 4wd/camping chainsaw mkII 76.5 cc's of german fury

The 461 these are a very good saw I just not long bought one for my son and was very surprised how it pulled a 24" b&c in .404 .
Congrats .
And they are even stepping on the heels of a 660 with a muff mod and a 10* timing advance and a carb reset .

D how do you reckon it compares to the Husky 576?

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/husq ... 54QAvD_BwE
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Feb 2019, 9:05 am

Anyone seen the new 500i from Stihl, fuel injected apparently.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-tools ... 00i-W.aspx
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southwest shooter » 08 Feb 2019, 10:25 am

I'd recommend a sharp one .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2019, 1:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Congrats .

Scott I am not the one to ask because I will not own a auto tune or mtronic saw if I can't fix a problem I won't own it the 462 is more the opposition saw to the 576 .
The saw builder that builds my saws only does new saw saws and because of husky qc issues he will no longer work on a 5 series saw .......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Feb 2019, 2:03 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Congrats .

I'm hearing ya D, I'd much rather stick with stuff I can fix myself than this m tronic and all that auto tune s**t which usually requires a computer to tune it - which usually means being raped in the arse to get it sorted.

f*** em I say stick with the stuff that's tuff and works and is easy to tune and rebuild if need be. :thumbsup:

Scott I am not the one to ask because I will not own a auto tune or mtronic saw if I can't fix a problem I won't own it the 462 is more the opposition saw to the 576 .
The saw builder that builds my saws only does new saw saws and because of husky qc issues he will no longer work on a 5 series saw .......
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2019, 3:01 pm

I can actually get the software for huskys but not stihl but I am not a husky bloke I don't like there crappy soft AV and now stihl are going the same way .........
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Feb 2019, 3:33 pm

deye243 wrote:I can actually get the software for huskys but not stihl but I am not a husky bloke I don't like there crappy soft AV and now stihl are going the same way .........

Ah well not much we can do about it other than keep rebuilding our older stuff until we can't source parts for it (hopefully that will see us out) :D

Everything seems to be going the crap/cheap way these days, there doesn't seem to be a quality or cheap option, it's all cheap and crappy unless you shell out a million $$$ for it, even cars are being made to last 7 or 8 years now and then you dispose of em :crazy:

Manufacturers are only required to carry parts for anything for 7yrs now by law apparently so things aren't being made to last any longer than that (what a great idea that is! Hopefully the chinga artermarket improves quality wise and that will keep us ticking along hey. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2019, 6:27 pm

I will give up cutting before I start using the cheap Chinga s**t
You can do a bit witha the stihl and husky clones but they have to be PORTED to be any good because there jugs are rough and the timing numbers are s**t just like all the aftermarket jugs . And a carb replacement with I oem.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

I won't give up using em if I have to put chinga parts in em. We use a few Huskies that are running Chinga Pistons (caber rings) and they have been just fine for the last 5 or 6yrs at least and they have probably cut up around 150t or more of firewood.

I agree some of the chinese jugs can be a bit ordinary but useable (no doubt better if you do some porting work etc to em) we've built quite a few rebuilds using chinese jugs and so far so good, I can't remember anyone coming back complaining about them.

It's funny my mate got onto husky the other week about a coil he needed, apparently it was around $160 or there abouts anyway he told em he could source one for about $40 off ebay and next thing ya know they dropped the price to $80!

If they would only offer decent prices in the first place maybe people would be more inclined to use their parts but it's hard to pay 3 or 4 times more than what you can get parts off the net for. My mate always gives people the option and most chose the cheaper offerings.

We had a stihl that needed a new fuel tank and it cost around $40 or so off ebay, can't remember the stihl price but it was a hell of a lot more than that.

Sadly the price repair shops charge to repair things is making it harder to justify repairing things these days (one mob out this way is charging $135ph FFS - no wonder people just junk stuff and buy new again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

Mate that's criminal.... with the jugs its not really the quality its all in the port timing numbers they are always down on torque well that's what we find .
But we have to use what we have or can afford .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by shovtel » 14 Feb 2019, 12:02 pm

We only have Stihls on the farm... 2 farm bosses, a mini farm boss and a new 661.

The 661 is a bloody powerful saw... you really have to have your wits about you with it. to be honest we really only use it for slabbing up logs on our mill.

The farm bosses are great. a new one and an old one. the old one feels like it was more power. nice saws.

but to be honest the mini boss which I think we paid $250/300 for is prob the "go to" saw for nearly everything. it would be nearly 10 years old now. still starts perfectly. runs perfect. nothing has ever broken on it etc... its light, easy to use etc... perfect for clearing fence lines, logs over fences, general gardening etc... great for cutting firewood too.

in my hunting group, 4 of my mates also have stihl mini boss's. i'll admit they are not used heaps but they still pull them out when needed to clear a fallen tree across a track and they start/run fine.

my next saw will be a battery saw to take away hunting... no fuel smell etc... in the car... batteries are good for 30/40 minutes. mega quick recharge times etc...
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 5:14 pm

deye243 wrote:Mate that's criminal.... with the jugs its not really the quality its all in the port timing numbers they are always down on torque well that's what we find .
But we have to use what we have or can afford .

I seen a Chinga "Husky 372" in action the other day at the wood cutting - 200psi and she went hard alright (obviously modded) running the chinga crank and I think a 394 carb from memory. :D

460cixy owns it, he will be able to tell ya more about it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2019, 8:22 pm

Yes the chinga 372 is a good one just change the car by for a
proper one walbro I think they are .......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 9:51 pm

deye243 wrote:Yes the chinga 372 is a good one just change the car by for a
proper one walbro I think they are .......

Yeah for what it cost it sure went fine. Only obvious diff was the sticker which said something like 372 petrol chainsaw :lol:

The MTM seems like a reasonable buy for the $$$ would be ok for a cheap camp saw I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLj8jeDr_Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fvtht7AcJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9LNeVHisa8
Last edited by bigfellascott on 14 Feb 2019, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2019, 10:17 pm

They look ok Scott
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 10:24 pm

deye243 wrote:They look ok Scott

Good enough for anyone that needs a cheap camp saw hey, especially if that's all you'll ever use it for. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2019, 10:55 pm

Yep 5or 6 times a year with half decent power
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2019, 7:04 pm

deye243 wrote:Yep 5or 6 times a year with half decent power

Yeah for the $$ I reckon it would be ideal for someone who only cuts a bit of wood hear and there, mind you that thing in the vids been getting a good solid workout and seems upto the job with a few minor mods to keep the dust out of the carb. Only gamble I see is whether you get a decent one or a crap one :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Albertmitchell » 20 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm

For me, Echo CS-600P is best chainsaw for firewood.

PROS:
2-stroke engine allows for aggressive performance that also reduces oil consumption
Replaceable bumper spikes
Dual-post chain brake allows for an instant and safer stop
5-year consumer warranty
CONS:
One of the heavier models at 13.3lbs
Albertmitchell
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Jul 2020, 12:27 am

I have two Stihl chainsaws - an 023C I bought new and an 034 I bought at auction for $55. Both are reliable and cut beautifully if I keep the chain sharpened. The 023C came standard (from memory) with a 16 inch bar which I changed for a 14 inch bar. Completely happy with that choice. The 034 is as it came and really needs a new chain - I think it is an 18 inch bar. Keep the chains sharp. flip the bar every time you sharpen, dress the bar to remove any burr and don't forget to grease the needle roller bearing in the clutch hub! That isn't really addressed in the user manual but can really ruin your day and the saw.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 16 Jul 2020, 4:18 am

Have not read the whole thread.
But on topic. Just for camping and a fire for a night. Not a real chainsaw really but i have a ryobi battery one and car charger. It’s quiet And dose’nt disturb other people or attract serial killers or yowies esp.
and easy to pack and dose’nt leak oil in the car.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation