Camp Setup

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Camp Setup

Post by AusTac » 14 Jun 2016, 7:39 pm

Hey all,

So after a crap nights sleep a few weekends ago i thought its time to revisit my sleeping setup, we ended up getting to the site in the pitch black absolutely pissing down with rain so simple and waterproof is the go.

Don't have a awning on the side of the rig or anything like that but my plan is to tension the winch line on a tree throw a tarp over and go from there. at the time i was in a bivi which did its job but was wondering what you guys do in terms of swags/stretchers and any other combo, bit sick of sleeping on the ground

At the moment a darche xl100 stretcher is the winner

cheers :)
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Camp Setup

Post by Noisydad » 14 Jun 2016, 8:04 pm

After years of scout camps I've settled on a partly inflated lilo on a king size stretcher (I'm 6'1") and use a -5 extra long sleeping bag with old camping blankets over the top as required. I like my own tent these days too and use an Oztrail tourer 9 plus for a bit more space and I can stand up in it. You can use these tents with just 4 pegs if you're in a hurry and I've put one up in 6 minutes.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jun 2016, 8:49 pm

I usually head off on my own these days. Three man dome tent with a home made tarp swag. About 3" of foam rubber in the swag along with the sleeping bag and pillow.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bosbefok » 15 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm

Sleep in the back of the ute with a canopy... Easy as!
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 06 Jul 2016, 3:31 pm

AusTac wrote:Don't have a awning on the side of the rig or anything like that but my plan is to tension the winch line on a tree throw a tarp over and go from there. at the time i was in a bivi which did its job but was wondering what you guys do in terms of swags/stretchers and any other combo, bit sick of sleeping on the ground.

Basically what you've described with a little modification. Rather than build an 'A' with the tarp over a single line I have two corners ringed onto the roof wracks and the tarp rolled up. If you need to setup in a hurry just unroll it and tension up the two from corners on nearby trees at a downward angle.

Takes 30 seconds longer bit gives a bigger, more roomy coverage area.

Haven't gotten around to it yet but plan to cut a solid rod to length for the free ends to keep it rigid and allow to be tied at full spread with a single line too. We'll see how it goes soon.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 12 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

The awnings aren't actually that much.

You can pick up a decent one for about $250 last time I looked.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sakoBC » 12 Jul 2016, 1:27 pm

To deal with a wet weather/late night set up I use an EPE Speedy Tent (waterproof with a built in fly) + Dune 4WD self-inflating mattress (10cm/4” thick) + 3m x 3m Ridge Ryder Gazebo (optional). Pull the tent out of the bag, throw it on the ground, bang in four pegs, throw your mattress in the tent and you are ready to go.
Only, problem with the Speedy tent is that the two man version is a bit short (I’m 5’10” and my feet and head make contact with the tent). The 10cms of foam support from the mattress is what makes all the difference if you want a comfortable night’s sleep.

Next fastest setup for me is an OZtrail Tourer tent. Put down a ground sheet (some old shade cloth), whack in 4 pegs and set up the centre pole, job done. 4WD mat again and if I’m setting up for a week or more I will sit the mattress on a stretcher bed.
If you get a tourer tent it is probably worth paying a bit extra to get the side pole kit. This gets rid of the pole from the middle of the tent which will make like easier if you are accommodating two people. If the wind is blowing you will need to peg the 4 additional support ropes. You can stand up in a tourer tent and even throw in a few chairs (need to get the bedding out).
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 14 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Zilla wrote:The awnings aren't actually that much.

$20 for a tarp and a pair of guy-lines.

Just sayin' :mrgreen:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 15 Jul 2016, 12:12 pm

chacka wrote:
Zilla wrote:The awnings aren't actually that much.

$20 for a tarp and a pair of guy-lines.

Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Thats more of my style but a stretcher i reckon
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation