Sleeping bag recommendations?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Sleeping bag recommendations?

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2016, 1:17 pm

Adlippy wrote:You've got me thinking as well :crazy:

My job is done then :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 02 Jul 2016, 1:19 pm

Hey BFS i see you've got one of those white poly chairs in that pic of camp, or as I like to call them "Stunt chairs" because people tend to do all kinds of acrobatics and half somersaults when they plonk themselves down in one of them and they shatter into about 6 pieces :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the CPAP, I run mine off a 12ah battery. It has a power adaptor with a cigi lighter plug for 12v and 12AH gives me 2-3 nights without charging bit i usually hook it up to a 20w panel to keep the battery up

Chronos

The battery with a fused socket. USB means you can charge your phone overnight too
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Nice set up Steve I was going to go that way originally but decided the genie was a more versatile option for us as I could run all the other stuff.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 02 Jul 2016, 4:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Nice set up Steve I was going to go that way originally but decided the genie was a more versatile option for us as I could run all the other stuff.

Yeah, as soon as you want to run more than one thing a genny makes a lot of sense, especially now that theyre so efficient and compact

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2016, 12:34 am

You take s pool, BigFella?

Cheezuz, ever heard of camping near a river or lake???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jul 2016, 6:16 am

Gwion wrote:You take s pool, BigFella?

Cheezuz, ever heard of camping near a river or lake???

Yes - we love our pool liner, it helps keep us warm on those -6 nights around the fire whilst munching Pizza from the Pizza Oven. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2016, 8:01 am

Remind me never to stick around your camp for the pack down.... I can't afford the extra week off!!! :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by petemacsydney » 05 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

i have 2 "quality" bags. first one is my favorite. Paddy Pallin Ossa - this one:
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/paddy-pal ... g-bag.html
mine is an older model so it is actually a 600gram bag (600gr of goose down)
i also have an 1100gr bag that i picked up when hiking in the Himalaya's.
I've used by 600 Ossa in snow caves (just lying on a mat in the cave), snow tents, Himalaya's at an altitude of 5000m and pretty much any dam place i can find that's bl**dy cold! lol
I've tried to use the 1100gr bag that i purchased in Katmandu when i was on a hiking trip, but it was just too dam hot for me (i'm a warm sleeper though), so i just stick with the 600 (per above link).
I've had both for almost 16 years and haven't had a single problem with either and they do get a work out.
Sure the OSSA is expensive, but mine will last another 20 years with good care.
As for the cheap 1100 i got in Katmandu, its brilliant too, just too dam hot for me. It cost me about AU$80 in Katmandu in 2001 - couldn't believe my luck! it was soooo cheap back then. It's a "Mountain Design" knock off, but has the same exterior shell and goose down interior. The kids usually use the 1100 when we go camping in the cold, but it inevitably gets thrown off during the night unless just used as a blanket on a foam mattress.
My advice - go check out PaddyPallin, Mountain Designs sort of shops - those guys tend to have great product knowledge and have actually used the products they sell (in a lot of cases)
cheers p
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 05 Jul 2016, 9:23 am

p.s. the above bags weigh next to nothing. The 600 packs down to the size of a small lunch box, the 1100 packs down to the size of a large lunch box.
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jul 2016, 9:37 am

Gwion wrote:Remind me never to stick around your camp for the pack down.... I can't afford the extra week off!!! :D

:lol: that what the wife and kids are for :D worst part is you need a ute and trailer to cart it all :lol: but we usually go for a week or 2 at a time so might as well be comfortable hey and I tell ya that shower setup is one of the best things we've bought to make it just that. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ebr love » 12 Jul 2016, 1:15 pm

bigfellascott wrote:We even take the pool with us! LOL

Is that a regular spot with a permanent setup or do you seriously carry that out each time?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jul 2016, 7:14 pm

ebr love wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:We even take the pool with us! LOL

Is that a regular spot with a permanent setup or do you seriously carry that out each time?

It's a regular spot mate we visit each year. The pool liner stays there and we set it up each year the rest of the kit we cart with us in a trailer and ute. Just got back from another trip there.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jul 2016, 2:02 am

halfcocked wrote:In the hunt for a warm sleeping bag for camping.
Anyone got much experience with the ratings. -5, -12 etc?
Ive camped around cobram at 0 degrees overnight. Wouldnt mind something that can handle jindabyne etc. 0 to say -5. Would -5 rating be ok. Is -12 overkill and ill sweat my butt off??
Ive only ever owned a cheapo summer rated one. Thoughts??

Have a look at the PM I sent you Matey. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation