camp cooking

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

camp cooking

Post by wrenchman » 11 Aug 2016, 11:37 am

i have not cooked with the dutch ovens in a while i have been cooking with them the last few days becouse it is so hot here.
i made a upside down pine apple cake and a beef roast today they use to be just for deer camp i am starting to like it.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1470879347372.jpg
FB_IMG_1470879347372.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: camp cooking

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2016, 3:16 pm

Looks good mate, we love making Pizza's and scones in ours when out camping and of course all the usual baked dinners - there is an art to using them correctly but once you get used to how yours works best they are great too cook in.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pete1 » 11 Aug 2016, 5:10 pm

Looking tasty
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2016, 6:40 pm

They are indeed very popular - we normally knock out 10 or more when we make them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 11 Aug 2016, 11:25 pm

never thought of pizza i looks good
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 11 Aug 2016, 11:40 pm

i have 3 dutch ovens 2 real old ones with domed lids and a 10 inch lodge with a flat lid that was a gift from my son.
the old ones are what i cook with the most camp stew a deer roast just seem to taste great in them.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2016, 6:33 am

They certainly do come in all manner of shapes and sizes, the one I cookin most sounds similar to your's mate, it's about 1980's vintage, domed lid, big enough to cook a roast in nicely, I also have an oval shaped one which is only around 5yrs old so still a long way to go before it's what I call a great cooker (lots more seasoning to be done with it as yet) but it too will be good to cook in I'm sure,

A friend has one that weighs 35kg! one big ol bastard that one, it has legs on it from what he was telling me and has to be transported carefully or else the legs might get broken off. Not sure I could be bothered with such a heavy oven but he uses it to cook a feed for a lot of people so I guess you need something that big hey, My friend across the road brought home a 3' frypan the other day, haven't had a look at it as yet but that sounds like a massive bugger to cook on to. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Aug 2016, 7:01 am

All looks good!

Love my camp cooking. I have a small collection of camp ovens from a big Furphy down to a little single damper jobbie. No photos, though.

Here's a tip for damper. Most dampers will be hard enough to stun a rabbit within mere hours after baking. To keep it a bit softer and moist, add a very small amount of sugar (not enough to make it sweet) and a good bit of powdered milk to to flour. I can't give you quantities because any good camp damper should be thrown together by feel; just experiment until you get it right. In the right proportions you can't even really tell much difference except that the damper you make at night can still be eaten for breakfast without chipping a tooth. The fresh product is a bit softer too. Both sugar and powdered milk attract moisture to keep your camp bread damper.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 12 Aug 2016, 11:37 am

this is the one my sone got me for bakeing
Attachments
FB_IMG_1470879311604.jpg
FB_IMG_1470879311604.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 7501 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2016, 2:49 pm

Good tip there G.

Nice looking oven there wrenchman.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 12 Aug 2016, 4:10 pm

Gwion wrote:All looks good!

Love my camp cooking. I have a small collection of camp ovens from a big Furphy down to a little single damper jobbie. No photos, though.

Here's a tip for damper. Most dampers will be hard enough to stun a rabbit within mere hours after baking. To keep it a bit softer and moist, add a very small amount of sugar (not enough to make it sweet) and a good bit of powdered milk to to flour. I can't give you quantities because any good camp damper should be thrown together by feel; just experiment until you get it right. In the right proportions you can't even really tell much difference except that the damper you make at night can still be eaten for breakfast without chipping a tooth. The fresh product is a bit softer too. Both sugar and powdered milk attract moisture to keep your camp bread damper.....

:thumbsup:

We don't make damper much anymore, we just use a bread dough. Let it prove once and knock it back and into a hot camp oven. then coals only on top rather than under and over.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Aug 2016, 2:39 pm

Yep... Risen bread is better but damper is quicker and easier... Also, every Australian should make a campfire damper at least once in their lives. ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm

Pics of what we eat on the forum.

Its starting to look like face ache.. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 14 Aug 2016, 2:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Looks good mate, we love making Pizza's and scones in ours when out camping and of course all the usual baked dinners - there is an art to using them correctly but once you get used to how yours works best they are great too cook in.

Hahahahaha, you fibber :lol:

Tell the truth, you used a gas fired pizza oven, nice try though :friends:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 14 Aug 2016, 9:55 pm

Not camp cooking, just normal cooking, but here it is. First attempt at venison mince pie.

A little dry, gravy fixed that and made it perfect, but thinking what I could add during cooking to add some moisture in there... Was thinking, maybe beef stock, not sure yet.

Looked nice :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 14 Aug 2016, 10:33 pm

JS, just need to get the gravy right in the pie mix before it goes in the pie. Traditionally, meat from shanks is used to thicken a mix (hence 'gravy beef') due to the connective tissue adding gelatin to the gravy. Thickens and coats the rest of the mix. Cheating involves adding gelatin, corn flour or roux as emulsifier.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 14 Aug 2016, 10:42 pm

Ps: it takes low temp, long slow cook to extract gelatin from gravy meat and bones.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2016, 7:16 am

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Looks good mate, we love making Pizza's and scones in ours when out camping and of course all the usual baked dinners - there is an art to using them correctly but once you get used to how yours works best they are great too cook in.

Hahahahaha, you fibber :lol:

Tell the truth, you used a gas fired pizza oven, nice try though :friends:

Chronos

No they were done in a camp oven :thumbsup: Harb has brought out his Pizza Oven since but I prefer the camp oven version myself, gets that smokey note to em which is spot on (I do mine at home in my wood oven) because of the smokey note they get to them, you just can't get that out of a gas/electric oven.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 16 Aug 2016, 8:05 am

The limit of my cooking skills was attempting a Dutch oven on the missus...I'm still walking with a limp :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 16 Aug 2016, 8:11 am

Camp cooking hey?

This would be the king of camp cooking

https://youtu.be/RCKBtsTk8eQ

:lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 18 Aug 2016, 7:20 am

cherry chocolate for tonight
Attachments
FB_IMG_1471468451060.jpg
FB_IMG_1471468451060.jpg (47.39 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2016, 8:39 am

That looks great to me!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 18 Aug 2016, 9:17 am

thanks the son said it was better then the pinnaple turn over
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by OODAH » 24 Aug 2016, 3:29 pm

Throw a can of beer or two with a spoon full of gavox into the pot, mix it up and put a chook in. Cook it in the hot coals for an hour throw in your veggies and go for another quick hour and presto perfect bird every time! :drinks:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Aug 2016, 7:15 am

OODAH wrote:Throw a can of beer or two with a spoon full of gavox into the pot, mix it up and put a chook in. Cook it in the hot coals for an hour throw in your veggies and go for another quick hour and presto perfect bird every time! :drinks:

I like the beer can chicken and also the bourbon chicken too, goes alright I reckon.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by OODAH » 25 Aug 2016, 8:07 am

I like the beer can chicken and also the bourbon chicken too, goes alright I reckon.[/quote]

The Bourbon chicken sounds alright I might have to look that one up.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 25 Aug 2016, 11:21 am

Is that where you cook chicken while drinking bourbon and then forget the chicken and keep drinking bourbon??? :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by OODAH » 25 Aug 2016, 1:05 pm

Gwion wrote:Is that where you cook chicken while drinking bourbon and then forget the chicken and keep drinking bourbon??? :D

Defiantly done that one a time or two haha :drinks:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 25 Aug 2016, 11:42 pm

i have thought about trying beer can chicken
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 26 Aug 2016, 12:06 am

I made beer can chicken few times - amazing! Just dump bunch of other stuff into the can of beer; butter, garlic, whatever flavours you want and the steam will saturate it with... Crap, I am hungry now!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation