CPAP machine while camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

CPAP machine while camping

Post by bigpete » 11 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm

Anyone here need a cpap to sleep but still goes camping ? I'm trying to set up mine so I can go camping again ,but I've got limited funds so any hints or tips would be greatly welcomed. So far my idea is to just get a deep cycle battery and some new power cables made up but one day I'd like to run a solar charger too.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Cpap

Post by TheDude » 11 Sep 2016, 7:46 pm

my brother in law has one that runs off either 240 or 12v and runs it off a deep cycle in their van. without the humidifier they are a lot easier on batteries.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Cpap

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2016, 9:14 pm

I just run mine with the Genie, might as well as I run electric blankets, air beds, lights, showers etc with it (I was originally going the battery route) but figured this would be more practical for what we do. I think you may have to use a special setup to run off batteries but don't quote me on it as it was quite a few years ago when I was looking at that option and things may well have changed since then.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: CPAP machine while camping

Post by VICHunter » 12 Sep 2016, 11:20 am

bigpete wrote:I've got limited funds so any hints or tips would be greatly welcomed. So far my idea is to just get a deep cycle battery and some new power cables made up but one day I'd like to run a solar charger too.

I don't know anything about a CPAP machine, but getting some quotes on the options you're looking at might whittle them down for you I think.

Prices last I looked...

A dual battery kit with an isolator to separate the starter and auxiliary battery is something like $1,200+ fitted.

A quality portable solar panel is $700 for the panel? Plus various metres and whatever else you need/want to run with it. They aren't cheap.

Portable solar panels don't generate big power either, 80w - 100w is common I think off the top of my head.

What does a deep-cell battery cost these days? $250? If that will get you through and you can charge it at home after that might be the way. And if you go down the auxiliary battery path later you already have the battery.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation