Saftey in the bush

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Saftey in the bush

Post by albat » 12 Oct 2016, 9:15 pm

I just got back from a 5 day hunting trip in south west qld , we had a great trip and shot many goats there but there was a very stark reminder of what can go wrong in remote areas, driving a track we could see a dog lying in the middle of the track , didnt move when we approached we pulled up the dog had a collar so no feral,very friendly dog while my mate was stroking it i looked to my left looking for stuff when i saw a body lying in the mud hole from the recent rains , on approach i could see an elderly man covered in flies and mozzies , dressed in trackie pants and a t shirt totally motionless after about 30 seconds of prodding and shouting he responded very weakly we lifted him from the mud and gave him water he was totally delerious and in real pain from a back injury he could'nt tell me how he got there.we contacted the property owner he knew it was a worker of his from the description we gave him we later found out he got bogged in his 4x4 and tried to walk out in 35 degree heat and collapsed he had been lying in the hot sun from the day before spent the night there was probably a few hours from expiring! His dog saved his life ,he was met at the station by the ambos hes still in hospital. We spend big money on shooting gear etc but your first 300 bucks should be on an plb if your going off the grid especially alone !
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Saftey in the bush

Post by Supaduke » 12 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

Lucky man, good work. Wouldn't be the first time a dog has saved its master.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm

Gee, makes you think ! I do a fair amount of solo hunting.. His dog is worth his weight in gold !!! PLB may just be my next purchase after reading that... :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Rob81 » 13 Oct 2016, 1:01 am

I carry an EPIRB in the bush at all times. Maybe a silly question but what is a PLB?
Cheers Rob
Rob81
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by deadkitty » 13 Oct 2016, 5:32 am

Well done albat and company!, and very good advice for those of us who hunt and fish alone, PLB's have come down in price in recent years. Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 13 Oct 2016, 5:49 am

Thats crazy mate, do you know if he ended up being ok? Pretty hardcore to spend a night lying by the side of the rd
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Adlippy » 13 Oct 2016, 7:13 am

Rob81 wrote:I carry an EPIRB in the bush at all times. Maybe a silly question but what is a PLB?
Cheers Rob

Personal Location Beacon , same as a EPIRB but generally smaller/lighter a must have if hiking,hunter in remote areas by yourself
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by albat » 13 Oct 2016, 7:25 am

Rob81 wrote:I carry an EPIRB in the bush at all times. Maybe a silly question but what is a PLB?
Cheers Rob

Plb is the abreviation for personal locator beacon they are much smaller than an epirb which are generally for marine use.epirb is designed to float plbs are generally for land based syuff and are much more portable
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Oct 2016, 8:40 am

Yep it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a PLB if you are on your own, a friends nephew got injured recently whist out cutting wood and he was on his own, anyway he managed to get himself back into the vehicle and get to the farm house only to find no one there so had to drive down the road further for help and eventually the helicopter rolled up and carted him off to hospital (end result leg broken in 2 places, cuts and abrasions all over the body, lucky man really (I think part of a tree fell on him or the tree itself) can't quite remember now.

The other thing worth making sure you have is the address and contact details of the properties you are on, I knew I was on the same property as ol mate who got injured and I though I don't really know the name or address etc of this place so I made sure I now have all the details just in case something does go wrong (could think of nothing worse than not being able to tell someone where you are when you need it most) and it's something I never really worried about until this incident - in future I will be a little more pro active in that department, could save my life or someone elses so worth doing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 13 Oct 2016, 9:07 am

As bigfellascott says apart from the plb a bit of pre planning and letting people know your timelines and return times goes a long way , when you create a beacon account there is asection in there that you fill in online for every trip outlining yor movements what you are carrying ie uhf phone water food etc and expected return times this info is only accessed if you activate your beacon can make the rescue more timely
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2016, 10:00 am

bigfellascott wrote:...eventually the helicopter rolled up and carted him off to hospital...

I hope he doesn't get the bill for that trip.
One of our Perth guys crashed this year at the Historic Nationals at Phillip Island and got helicoptered to Alfred Hospital...for a broken collarbone.
$10,000 trip that was, had to sell his racebike to pay it. A big hit on top of the several thousand it already costs a WA rider to race an Eastern States round.
Our required HBF ambulance cover doesn't include helicopter ambulance rides.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Adlippy » 13 Oct 2016, 11:32 am

https://www.trekandtravel.com.au/produc ... subcat=104

I brought one of these, it lives in my pack, i know its a lot of money for something you hope you will never use, but if you do have to use it the investment will be worth while. You do need to register it, which is far enough,no cost if I remember correctly, and they are only to be used as a last resort, not the I am tried and have had enough and want to go home come and get me thing, which apparently does happen according to one of the pilots i was speaking to once.
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 13 Oct 2016, 12:45 pm

albat wrote:Plb is the abreviation for personal locator beacon they are much smaller than an epirb which are generally for marine use.epirb is designed to float plbs are generally for land based syuff and are much more portable

PLB = Personal Locator Beacon.

EPIRB = Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.

They're functionally the same, using the same frequency and satellite network, but as above EPIRBs are intended for marine vessels.

EPIRBs are registered to a specific vessel, not just picked up and carried anonymously like a PLB for a hunter. And they're a legal requirement for commercial vessels I'm pretty sure.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Oct 2016, 3:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:...eventually the helicopter rolled up and carted him off to hospital...

I hope he doesn't get the bill for that trip.
One of our Perth guys crashed this year at the Historic Nationals at Phillip Island and got helicoptered to Alfred Hospital...for a broken collarbone.
$10,000 trip that was, had to sell his racebike to pay it. A big hit on top of the several thousand it already costs a WA rider to race an Eastern States round.
Our required HBF ambulance cover doesn't include helicopter ambulance rides.

I'm not sure what the go is there mate to be honest, I will have to suss out whether he got a bill or not, bloody expensive if he did! :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 15 Oct 2016, 6:33 pm

AusTac wrote:Thats crazy mate, do you know if he ended up being ok? Pretty hardcore to spend a night lying by the side of the rd

Yes Austac i heard yesterday hes out of hospital they are not letting him work on the property anymore though after 20 odd years there hes getting too old and careless hes living in the local town closer to support ,guess we all hit that point eventually!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 15 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm

That's good news albat... All thanks to you guys and his dog of course... :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation