Petrol smell from plastic can of two-stroke & containing it

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Petrol smell from plastic can of two-stroke & containing it

Post by Wes » 13 Oct 2016, 8:22 am

I have a 4L plastic jerry can of 2-stroke for the chainsaw that I need to start carrying inside the truck.

(Yes, inside, just isn't feasible to carry outside. It's actually a 5L can and I put 4.5L fuel in it and squeeze the sides in before capping it so there is plenty of room for expansion.)

So I filled it and left it outside for a few days for a little spillage to evaporate. I figured after that it would be smell free in the car. Not the case though.

I tried putting it in a plastic garbage bag and closing it up but still smells.

Does the smell escape through plastic constantly or is it just the left over spill from filling the bottom?

I thought I could wash it with hot soapy water to clean the surface, but that's not the best solution when out using it in the bush. I was hoping with the bag idea I could have something practical like that to just seal it in and lock away the smell for travel home.

What do you guys suggest?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Petrol smell from plastic can of two-stroke & containing

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Oct 2016, 8:31 am

Why isn't it feasible to carry it outside of the cab? not sure there's any real way of stopping the smell to be honest, maybe a tin can might be an option but I'm sure you will get some smell from that too (maybe not as bad)? hard to say without trying it I guess.

Drive with the windows down will also help obviously but not always possible or feasible especially in winter. Personally I'd find a way to put it in the back of the ute instead of the cab.

By the way what is the vehicle exactly?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Oct 2016, 8:50 am

Is the plastic jerry can specifically designed for fuel and marked as such ie Petrol. Does it have a vent cap that seals properly.

If it is not certified for Petrol then it is quite possible that the fumes may be coming from the fuel escaping through the pores of the plastic.

I use 6 Litre Fuel / 2.5 Litre OIl (Red) combination containers for chainsaw fuel and 20 Litre Petrol (Red) plus 20 Litre Diesel (Yellow) containers and they are and have been carried inside a vehicle for many years, even in summer and they do not emit any odour from the contents at all.

I would not carry any type of fuel in a container that is not certified to contain fuel. Escaping fuel vapour can be quite a hazzard even out in the open. The proper fuel containers are generally not cheap for a reason.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 13 Oct 2016, 9:41 am

bigfellascott wrote:Why isn't it feasible to carry it outside of the cab? not sure there's any real way of stopping the smell to be honest, maybe a tin can might be an option but I'm sure you will get some smell from that too (maybe not as bad)? hard to say without trying it I guess.

Moving between cars depending on the day.

May not have a roof rack, or be full, or whatever the case may be.

It's just going to have to go inside some times.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 13 Oct 2016, 9:48 am

Apollo, don't have it in front of me at the moment but 99% sure it's this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/scepter-5l- ... n_p3400170

Material: Polyethylene
Colour: Red

The Scepter 5L Jerry Can is made from high-density polyethylene and is bright red for easy identification. This new style jerry features a lightweight, crush proof design, extra head space built in to accommodate expansion, self-venting spouts and Child Resistant Closures (CRCs).

Rustproof, unbreakable and non-corroding
Made from high-density polyethylene
Lightweight, crushproof design
5L capacity
Red colour indicates petrol is inside

Doesn't specifically say "certified" but seems to imply so?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 13 Oct 2016, 10:33 am

Scepter as you describe are the Chainsaw Fuel Containers I have (with Chain Oil section) and Willow are the 20L Petrol (Red) / Diesel (Yellow) I have. All are stamped with an Australian Design Standard Logo and as I said none leak fuel odour. However, I have found that I need to use both hands to make sure the fuel caps are tight as they have leaked in the past when layed down on their side. Just my old and damaged weak hand.

Sounds like you have the correct containers. I'd just make sure the caps are really tight and see if that solves the odour. Put them out in the sun for awhile and see if they hold pressure when they expand then if any odour is present. Maybe you need to just tighten the caps more or perhaps the seals may be not quite correct. Maybe a warranty replacement is in order.

As I said, I have been using these for years without a problem. One of the 5L one's used to sit in the back (boot) of my Hatchback for emergency fuel (straight unleaded) for years and never smelt of fuel. The others are stored in my garage (shed) and likewise never smell even though in summer they may look like a balloon on a really hot day.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 13 Oct 2016, 10:51 am

Go buy a metal purpose made jerry can
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by dpskipper » 13 Oct 2016, 11:31 am

happyhunter wrote:Go buy a metal purpose made jerry can

Can't stress this enough mate, in an emergency the plastic ones can break on you. Get a proper metal jerry can and it will last for ever.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Octane » 13 Oct 2016, 12:22 pm

Can't contribute much about plastic but a metal jerry with a good condition seal works right.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fujix » 13 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm

Wes wrote:So I filled it and left it outside for a few days for a little spillage to evaporate. I figured after that it would be smell free in the car. Not the case

The last few days it's probably been too cold/moist to do much for it.

I'd give it a wash with warm soapy water like you said and get it in the sun for a few hours.
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Oct 2016, 1:22 pm

Apollo wrote:
If it is not certified for Petrol then it is quite possible that the fumes may be coming from the fuel escaping through the pores of the plastic.

All plastic jerry cans have hydrocarbons escaping through the plastic that is why the stickers always come off when they have been used.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Apollo wrote:

All plastic jerry cans have hydrocarbons escaping through the plastic that is why the stickers always come off when they have been used.

Now that's very interesting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 13 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Apollo wrote:

What about plastic motorcycle tanks, like on MX and enduro bikes? Those are polypropylene and so long as the cap seal is working and the fuel cock is closed (there's one for winchester) they don't stink?

I've got a 20 liter 'approved for petrol' container that seems to contain the fumes so I'm rekoning the OP's container is not suitable for petrol or the cap seal is dodgy.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Apollo » 13 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Not quite true.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 14 Oct 2016, 9:52 am

Apollo wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Not quite true.

What do you think causes the stickers to bubble off with plastic jerry cans when they have been used to store fuel, the stickers never have any problems staying on before they are used.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 14 Oct 2016, 11:43 am

Was wondering where you got the information from re: your can you got it from the shop description Interesting someone who believes in advertising .
here s a point if its red it only means ITS RED Nothing at all to do with petrol and because it has a poring cap (yellow disk in center of lid) its a breakdown can you run out you go get petrol you pour out don,t store in a car full of fuel(I keep one in the boot empty just for the run out if ever )
If as some have said you going to store in the car you need to spend some cash and a get a FUEL STORAGE can the way you tell is fuel storage cans should be marked with Fuel storage (some Chinese type containers may even be stamped to store fuel or even Atomic waste I wont trust them ) some even have the letters UL(underwriter licence) stamped in them think that the yank ones do . reason in yank land prove its caused a fire i am suing the maker so it must be underwritten by a insurer.
Most people when they get a red breakdown can say it supposed to hold 5 L but i got 6 in it, or more they have a head space for heat expansion look on he side for the 5 L mark I bet you have more fuel than the container is rated for if you have it will always stink no mater where you have it .
sorry op i just reread you post STOP SQUEEZING BEFORE YOU CAP IT
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 14 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

So a hot water scrub and an hour in the sun took away 90% of the smell. Another one will do it I guess.

pomemax wrote:Most people when they get a red breakdown can say it supposed to hold 5 L but i got 6 in it, or more they have a head space for heat expansion look on he side for the 5 L mark I bet you have more fuel than the container is rated for if you have it will always stink no mater where you have it .

The container has a line for 5L on it.

It looks like it would actually hold about 5.2L or so.

I have about 4.3L

pomemax wrote:sorry op i just reread you post STOP SQUEEZING BEFORE YOU CAP IT

Why don't squeeze it?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 14 Oct 2016, 2:45 pm

Squeezing the can can't be making fumes come out... it would create a vacuum trying to suck air in.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 15 Oct 2016, 12:49 am

your removing the head space for fume storage then it must come out
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 07 Nov 2016, 8:31 am

pomemax wrote:your removing the head space for fume storage then it must come out

Huh? That makes no sense.

Headspace or not, if the bottle is a vacuum it's trying to suck outside air in.

Vacuums aren't selective, it can't suck in air while pushing fumes out.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 07 Nov 2016, 8:43 am

Still not really getting any joy with this.

Have tried a week with the bottle squeezed, and a week without. Just loosened/tightened the cap for this, didn't pour any so no spillage on the outside.

Left it outside for a week in gentle sun/wind to try and get off the dregs that might be lingering on the plastic.

Smells the same, worse I think than when I washed it.

When it's squeezed it stays air and liquid tight, but the smell continues.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 26 Apr 2017, 2:52 pm

Buy a different brand mate.

I had a Scepter one as well and it constantly stunk, same as yours from the sounds of it.

I replaced it with a Proquip plastic one from Super Cheap Auto and it was perfect. No more smell.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation