The Bush is NOT Your Dumping Ground!

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

The Bush is NOT Your Dumping Ground!

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 6:23 am

Got any stories or pictures of atrociously messy camp sights or random rubbish dumping in the bush?

Post them here and hopefully the message gets out that it is just plain WRONG and there is no excuse.

If you carry it in, CARRYITOUT!

Some people take that maxim to extremes and bag up their poo: I don't take it that far but I'm sick of turning up to campsites and seeing toilet paper scattered everywhere within meters of the main site. If you have to use paper, BURY it!!!
Walking out of camp on Big River (upper Mitta) on a 5 day hike/fish and right beside the track is a huge human turd and toilet paper. Goddamnit, it's plain and simple a HEALTH HAZARD!!!

Another pet hate is broken glass in fire pits.
Bread packet ties strewn everywhere.....

When you pitch camp, set up a rubbish bin and USE it!
When you break camp, walk the site and pick up what ever you see; you'll probably find that tent peg you are about to leave behind or score a few spares!

I have a heap of photos of a local illegal dump (all because $6 a load is too much [1/2 that if you recycle] is 'too bloody expensive"). I'll post a few later when I did them up.

People need to realise this sort of thing is just not on!

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: The Bush is NOT Your Dumping Ground!

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2016, 7:25 am

Shoot the pigs

pig-eating-trough.jpg
pig-eating-trough.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 7293 times

Just normal these days for me to take home a bag of other peoples cans and stubbies.
Only takes a minute to bury a bog away from camp. Ive seen it on the edge of creeks too.
Problem is the copper isnt on the beat.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 21 Oct 2016, 7:37 am

While out mountain biking I busted a Jim's Mowing Bloke dumping lawn clipping in the state forest. I'd been seeing piles of the stuff along the track for weeks and knew it would only be a matter of time before crossing paths with the prick that was doing it. Enough said about that :)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2016, 7:45 am

happyhunter wrote:While out mountain biking I busted a Jim's Mowing Bloke dumping lawn clipping in the state forest. I'd been seeing piles of the stuff along the track for weeks and knew it would only be a matter of time before crossing paths with the prick that was doing it. Enough said about that :)

Id dob the pig in.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 7:58 am

Spreading weeds to save a dollar. I used to dump cubes and cubes of green waste FREE at the tip in Melb. They company it in huge piles then sell it for mulch or compost it further for soil builder (mix with other gear).

I trust the SOB got a good talking to, HH!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 8:23 am

Roger says "Pick up your crap or else...."

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 21 Oct 2016, 8:46 am

Gwion wrote:Roger says "Pick up your crap or else...."

image.jpeg

That roo has been working out, might be time for a leg day
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Oct 2016, 8:55 am

Whenever I go out to a quiet bit of forest, rarely traversed by humans.... I occasionally see an animal, even less frequently another person, but ALWAYS find chip packet or can or other crap.... I'm no enviro warrior, but I can not understand how people are ok with dropping it out there...why wouldnt they just think "wrapper in pocket...."???

Pigs in the trough are getting a good run, Oldloke.... I'll have to meme it up..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Oct 2016, 9:48 am

Gwion wrote:Spreading weeds to save a dollar. I used to dump cubes and cubes of green waste FREE at the tip in Melb. They company it in huge piles then sell it for mulch or compost it further for soil builder (mix with other gear).

I trust the SOB got a good talking to, HH!

He was persuaded to do the right thing,
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 21 Oct 2016, 9:59 am

Cigarette butts are my pet hate, especially thrown from cars and I've reported on average 2-3 a month this year. On my place I had a bit of a pit dozed for rubbish not that there's much but at least it's in the one place. If I need to snap one off there's a shovel and bog roll for that. I have zero tolerance for litter bugs.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 21 Oct 2016, 10:12 am

After every long weekend EVERY campsite along the Murray River looks worse than the tip! There often old couches and arm chairs dumped, bags of used nappies, ripped tents, tv's, fridges, you name it's dumped! These filthy pricks had room to cart this garbage in but don't seem to be able to cart it out!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:Cigarette butts are my pet hate, especially thrown from cars and I've reported on average 2-3 a month this year. On my place I had a bit of a pit dozed for rubbish not that there's much but at least it's in the one place. If I need to snap one off there's a shovel and bog roll for that. I have zero tolerance for litter bugs.

I love that EPA app, I report cigarette butt chuckers every chance I get, last description was "portly middle-aged gentleman with a receding hairline driving a white late model toyota kluger"
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 8:07 pm

Noisydad wrote:After every long weekend EVERY campsite along the Murray River looks worse than the tip! There often old couches and arm chairs dumped, bags of used nappies, ripped tents, tv's, fridges, you name it's dumped! These filthy pricks had room to cart this garbage in but don't seem to be able to cart it out!

Better still. If you want your couch and telly, stay the he.f at HOME!

I just don't get it, Noisy....?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 21 Oct 2016, 8:20 pm

Gwion

I don't have any pictures,mainly due to the fact that I only like to take pics of things I like to see again.. :!:

But, at Gunn Point (NT) a place we often camped at. There is a beautiful beach where you can find fossils and can drive on the beach if you want ..
I will also say that it would be nice, if people would stop creating a new track down to the beach every time they do btw.. :thumbsdown:

Usually when we got there, we would spend the first day cleaning up all the rubbish left at the camp site ( fill a big hole with turds and turd paper ) and usually get about $100 or so worth of cans and other containers (it covers the cost of a few slabs as we get 10c ea for them in the NT ) remember, this is from just one of the many camp sites btw.. They do provide bins nearby, but some people don't care to use them ?.. :evil:

Seeing a sea turtle with a six pack plastic around its neck almost made me sick.........

Also in the NT, unless its commercial rubbish you can take stuff to the tip free of any charge. :thumbsup: .

Shamefully many people still dump in the surrounding bush though.. :evil: We have encountered quite a few (some locals as "The tip was closed" and quite a lot of commercial waste dumpers saving a $ that they have already factored in to the price for their customers :wtf: ) But most of the people I came across over the years have been, people that moved from interstate that thought they had to pay to dump.. :roll:

It is a real pet hate of ours.... If people really insist on illegal dumping then at least refrain from doing it in places that it is unlikely to be cleaned up.... In saying that I'm certainly not encouraging illegal dumping at all though... Better hope I don't catch you if you do it...... :!:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 9:35 pm

I reckon I could fill a couple of ute loads from out the road, packed, and dump it out side the post office with a sign saying, "clean up your own Shyte"..... Only problem is, i'd be the one done for illegal dumping!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 9:51 pm

DarwinD...

That's so f.ing sad.

Same could have been said along the lower Ovens (below and around Bundalong) years ago. And up around the Buckland and Rose. Things seem to have tidied up a bit that way but .....

The f...ers!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 21 Oct 2016, 9:58 pm

We did save the sea turtle from a certain death though.. But the need to do so could have been prevented in the first instance !

Had some good fishing trips up the upper rose river area, back in the day !

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

Lots of trout up that way. Big ones if you know where to look and are prepared to look. Sambar too. Too bad most of it is NP!

But I agree. People should clean up their gaddamned act!

Sounds like it's Nation wide. :thumbsdown: :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm

Nice work saving the turtle! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deadkitty » 22 Oct 2016, 8:29 am

Unfortunately Gwion, it does seem to be a nation wide problem, one of my local Bass fishing spots seems to be the favourite place for car thieves to dump and burn stolen cars...usually V8 or V6 utes.... I've reported three in the past 5 or so years. The wife and I cleaned up a load of rubbish thrown down the side of the riverbank, a total of around 6 plastic garbage bags worth. We passed the details of the dumper....who dumped old mail .... along to the council, who collected the rebagged rubbish. After every public holiday we clean up the side of our road, the worst offenders seem to be people who own brand new 4X4's. Then there are the" neat" ones who put their rubbish in a plastic bag and leave it by the side of the road...... clearly they have no idea about possums, dogs and other animals ripping the bags open. I've seen the dunny paper and turds right beside the river, people pump from this river for their homes....... nuff said, makes me sick. Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by catman » 22 Oct 2016, 6:33 pm

Hey folks,
we have free tip 35k's out from town,townie's are supposed to split loads,re:RECYCLE,ya reckon the Dheads do?NOOO, They choose to drop
anything from building waste to Aspestos UNRAPPED,because no one is watching,thanks to the COFFS HARBOUR builders/demolition teams.
Absolutely STOPS my grandchildren riding up there to "scab" as POP did 46yrs ago for fun on a Sundy arvo with the sluggy.What's wrong
with people today? Or am I getting old and grumpy?cheers catty
catman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 22 Oct 2016, 8:36 pm

Gee, Inappropriately disposed asbestos is pretty bad :wtf: People have to go there to dump, let alone the risk to the people that work day in day out at these waste management facilities.. very poor form :thumbsdown:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by deadkitty » 23 Oct 2016, 6:56 am

catman wrote:Hey folks,

" Absolutely STOPS my grandchildren riding up there to "scab" as POP did 46yrs ago for fun on a Sundy arvo with the sluggy.What''s wrong with people today? Or am I getting old and grumpy?cheers catty

Ah yes, I remember the days, sailing on an up-turned car bonnet on a "sea" of toxic sludge, chasing snakes around, scrounging parts for billy carts and generally having fun....not sure it was that safe :unknown: ...but it was fun! :thumbsup: If you're getting old and grumpy, :welcome: you're not the only one :lol: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 24 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

I once found a dumped disk brake LSD, it was in very good shape... Sold it for 1K... Cleaning up after others, does have its rewards :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Oct 2016, 9:29 pm

There's an engine block in the creek under my bridge and a few old car carcasses lying around my place. Your welcome to them but I don't think you'll get much for them! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 24 Oct 2016, 10:14 pm

Gwion wrote:There's an engine block in the creek under my bridge and a few old car carcasses lying around my place. Your welcome to them but I don't think you'll get much for them! :lol:

:lol: You never know mate.. Depending on what the old cars are they may actually be worth something ? Its surprising what some people can restore :shock:

I take it you are back home now ? Delivered the last rights on anything with the priest yet ? :)

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Oct 2016, 3:41 am

Yep... Back home. No time for fishing or anything. Rebuilding the kitchen. Then installing two semi buried sea containers for brewery cellar, then build post & rail fence & installing auto irrigation. Then building a little side shed for garden tools and water pumps to free up space for timber prep. Then building a stone feature wall as a fireplace outside and stone steps down to the chooks & orchard. All while brewing and getting bee out. All by Christmas....

Why do we do these things to ourselves???
:shock: :wtf: :crazy:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Oct 2016, 3:46 am

Anyway.... These old vas are WELL past any restoration.

One is a very old Ford (I think) ute. Full of bullet holes where some has been plinking at it in the distant past and folded almost in half from where someone wrapped it around a tree.
The others are just decaying bits.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 25 Oct 2016, 8:40 am

darwindingo wrote:
Gwion wrote:There's an engine block in the creek under my bridge and a few old car carcasses lying around my place. Your welcome to them but I don't think you'll get much for them! :lol:

:lol: You never know mate.. Depending on what the old cars are they may actually be worth something ? Its surprising what some people can restore :shock:

I take it you are back home now ? Delivered the last rights on anything with the priest yet ? :)

There is a spot in Wombat Forest where somebody dumped a few XY falcons. They have probably been there 20-30 years but if I had to guess, it's the leftovers of somebodies GT restroration project. One of the dumped vehicles is a gold color original GS wagon. The forest growth has taken them to pieces.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by RealNick » 26 Oct 2016, 4:01 pm

Supaduke wrote: That roo has been working out, might be time for a leg day

Flexing for his Tinder photo :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation