Scout Camp

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Scout Camp

Post by Noisydad » 06 Nov 2016, 3:09 pm

Back home from another Scout camp with 30 odd kids. Think I'll write an autobiography titled "12 YEARS IN UNIFORM - They're still hurting my eyes!" Or maybe "12 YEARS IN UNIFORM - Why am I not an alcoholic yet?" :crazy:
Last edited by Noisydad on 09 Nov 2016, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: Scout Camp

Post by darwindingo » 06 Nov 2016, 8:30 pm

One or two kids for an hour or so is usually enough to turn most to the bottle ND, but 30 odd for camp... :wtf: Gee Wiz that could certainly do it :lol:. You have certainly earned a couple of brews after that mate :thumbsup:

BTW.. What learnin' did the get on the trip... ?

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 06 Nov 2016, 9:47 pm

They did heaps of badge work for their Camp Craft and Bush Craft badges as required in their "Green books". I was in charge of the construction activities using Stringy Bark spars and ropes. Each patrol came through in turn while other patrols were doing various parts of the programmed activities. I had them build a 3 meter tower that had to take their weight, a camp stretcher that they could sleep on, a bridge to span 6 meters (I even crossed that!) All the structures were made rigid with triangulated braces and all were free standing. They had a ball!
We made sure the program is just adventurous enough that a few of em go home with some bruises and mild abrasions -gives them something to brag about at school to their mates that spend their weekends on their butts playing useless, dumbing down, brain wrecking, bloody video games.
Seriously, if any of you have kids in the Scout age group, rip those friggen things with screens out of their hands and teach them something practical, useful before it's to late!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 06 Nov 2016, 10:26 pm

Gee sounds like fun, I like the fact that its delivered in such a way that it allows the potential for a few minor abrasions and bruises :thumbsup:

Seems to me that provides way more than just bragging rights, I'd say its the stuff that teaches situational awareness and risk management imo... :drinks:

Kinda makes me consider getting involved in such things to be honest.. I may have to look into it in the near future ?...

What are the prerequisites ?

Kids will be kids, its easy to deviate off the rails for many reasons.. Most of the off the rails kids, I've met have not had good mentors in life... It can have a long lasting and positive effect, when someone (that cares) takes the time to actually listen to you and takes you under their wing and teaches you useful and positive things, when you are a kid... :thumbsup: Equally negative impact on the other side of it :(

Thankfully, I was lucky and had good mentors that took the time and effort.. :drinks: to them all :thumbsup: Shaped my life for the better they did.. :friends:

:drinks:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by duncan61 » 07 Nov 2016, 1:08 am

I did scouts for years.Came in handy when I was in aust army as an Engineer and already knew all the knots and stuff
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 07 Nov 2016, 5:36 am

Pre-requisites are nothing special. Mostly a matter of filling out forms including a the usual police check and applying for a Working with Children card but the group you're working with will deal with and help with all that stuff. A bit of a warped sense of humour definitely helps as does being able to think laterally. Successful Leaders are willing to get down on the ground and join in too. Most of the required training is on line now but you'll still do a couple of weekends of hands on training and you get nationally accredited qualifications from your training. Complete the training on time and you get Cert 4 Business Management and Cert 4 Leadership Management.
Some applicants are turned down. Our group recently had a bloke walk in wanting to put the uniform on and the paper work was started. He's NOT going to be leader in our (or any other) group!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 07 Nov 2016, 7:49 pm

Thanks ND, I'll look into it.. Well as soon as I get a couple more of these projects that seem to be building up completed. :drinks:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by wrenchman » 08 Nov 2016, 9:49 am

you are a good man many would not do it and i dont think i could
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gazza » 08 Nov 2016, 6:54 pm

I have one coming up at the Armstrong airfield with two scout groups. Going gliding.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by rainwalker » 23 Nov 2016, 3:07 pm

Noisydad wrote:12 YEARS IN UNIFORM - Why am I not an alcoholic yet?

You just need more practice! :mrgreen:
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation