How much cooking vs cold food do you do when camping?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: How much cooking vs cold food do you do when camping?

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

I like cooking my chilli and garlic prawns when out camping, quick and easy to do and tastes fantastic, don't mind roasts in the cast iron pot and we really enjoy the Pizza's - we usually get stuck into those whilst out bush too and they are a hit with everyone, so too are the scones - they go real fast too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Dingo » 19 Jan 2017, 8:02 pm

I eat better when out hunting than @home . But in saying that I normally set up camp . And work from there . Not to many cold meals don't hunt much in summer as it's to freaking hot ...
styer 223 & 308 & a lack of $$$
Dingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2017, 8:20 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:I like cooking while out camping and I'll usually cook the same sort of meals that I cook at home, like roast meat and veg of some description, lasagna or spaghetti bol, pie and veg with gravy, steak/chook and veg/salad, sausage sizzle for something easy etc....
I like to bake the odd desert in the camp oven too, like apple crumble or syrup dumplings, rice or bread pudding, packet mix self saucing pudding of your flavour preference, frozen apple pie or similar aren't bad either.
I still don't mind a bit of trad camp food like tins of beans or stew, 2 minute noodles etc....breaky is usually cereal or pancakes in the form of homemade batter or ready made pancake shake, sometimes bacon and eggs on toast.
Fresh damper is always welcome on the plate too.....yum.
Precooking meals at home and freezing then reheating as needed is handy if you want to save time.

Can I get an invite?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Nick-J » 19 Jan 2017, 8:27 pm

I use a vacuum sealer for most of our precooked food. Curries, stews etc. on mash potato.

The sealed bags are square so stack really well in the Engel when travelling (still room for beer). I make them up months in advance and just leave them in the freezer until needed.
Nick-J
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Nick-J » 19 Jan 2017, 8:30 pm

Forgot to mention that breakfast and lunch are usually cold; cereal, yoghurt, sandwiches, cheese & crackers, fruit etc.

This saves heaps of washing up ! More time for relaxing !
Nick-J
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 10:06 pm

Nick-J wrote:I use a vacuum sealer for most of our precooked food. Curries, stews etc. on mash potato.

The sealed bags are square so stack really well in the Engel when travelling (still room for beer). I make them up months in advance and just leave them in the freezer until needed.

I use a vacuum sealer for all my meat and sausages, bacon etc and all my meats and chopped veg for my Pizza's, keeps everything fresh, I generally just portion everything up so there's no bags left open with half used food waiting to get destroyed. It's a great way to do meals too like you do. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation