Roof top tent worth it? Issues?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Roof top tent worth it? Issues?

Post by Hinky » 19 Jan 2017, 1:19 pm

Hi guys,

Who's using a roof top tent?

About 3x the cost of a similar quality free stander. Worth it?

Problems you discovered after getting one?
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Roof top tent worth it? Issues?

Post by gazza » 19 Jan 2017, 2:03 pm

I thought about it. Went for an OZ Tent RV3 instead. Easy to set up ,1 minute, good standing room. It straps to the roof easy and hardly uses any rack space. Had it for over 10 years.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

+1 for the Oz-Tent. Inherited an RV-4 off the in-laws. Very good room in it due to the upright design and built in frame. Peg the corners down and stand it up and in a minute you're out of the weather. ( trust me I know) Bit heavy and bulky packed up, but I reckon nowhere near as much as a roof-top. Then again having a tray on the F-250 that's 7 ft wide and over 8 ft long, room isn't too much of a problem. :D
Plus you can leave it set up if you need to drive off for any reason. (like going to town to refill the beer, er, I mean food fridge) :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by WhelanLad » 19 Jan 2017, 3:50 pm

gday,
my only issue with a rooftop tent would be once it is set up its kind of set up an the vehicle is grounded, albeit maybe a 10 minute pack up an set up? I havnt used one to know.. I like to be out an about an maybe come into camp late or leave early and not be folding up a rooftop.

if I wasn't active like that, touring an based in one spot for long enough it may be feasiable!?

cheers
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by albat » 19 Jan 2017, 4:04 pm

One issue my mate had is that if you do 4wd tracks in the scrub the ovehanging low braches rip the thing to bits plus his fuel economy in the cruiser turned ordinary as you would expect with the drag and all that
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jan 2017, 4:45 pm

Mate put one on his Lo-lux and traveled from Sydney to Canberra to a shoot. He spent over 1/2 an hour setting it all up while the rest of us drank beer and watched and gave advice. Later that night we stole his ladder. Oh what fun! :lol:
He reported later that it increased his fuel consumption by nearly half as much again. (2 point whatever litre diesel engine and a headwind) :thumbsdown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sha » 20 Jan 2017, 11:17 am

Half an hour?

Should take like 5 minutes. What was he doing :unknown:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by AusTac » 20 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

I barely fit in some tracks as it is with a lifted jeep, wouldn't want any more weight or height on the roof of my jeep thats for sure i just use s tarp off the bullbar
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by BBJ » 23 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

Great if you can leave it on there.

Biggest downside from a travel POV is it consumes basically your whole roof rack, IMO.

You likely opt yourself out of ever getting in 90% of car parks again too.

Unless you want to take it on/off each trip, but that's a pain in itself.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Jan 2017, 8:40 am

sha wrote:Half an hour?

Should take like 5 minutes. What was he doing :unknown:

He works in "management", enough said?

No mechanical aptitude whatsoever. Provided great entertainment for the rest of us. :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 31 Jan 2017, 3:13 pm

Downside is I'd probably fall of the bloody ladder :lol:

These knees are best kept close to level ground these days.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 31 Jan 2017, 5:51 pm

Issues? yeah, a mate of a mate fell out of his one night when nature called, 1 broken leg later :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 10:30 pm

Chronos wrote:Issues? yeah, a mate of a mate fell out of his one night when nature called, 1 broken leg later :unknown:

Chronos

OUCH - certainly something I'd be worried about too, especially after a good drink :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 01 Feb 2017, 7:07 am

My mate reckons the biggest+ is in north qld croc country no slimy lizards in your tent!!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 01 Feb 2017, 8:34 am

albat wrote:My mate reckons the biggest+ is in north qld croc country no slimy lizards in your tent!!

This is probably the only plus i can see to them. In an area with dodgy wild life it would add a bit of security. All the issues involved with smart arse mates, lack of mobility, fuel consumption, etc. just don't add up to being a worthwhile solution.

Similar to the Oztent thingy (Oz-trail???), i went the BlackWolf Turbo Tent option for car based camping. Like taking your lounge room with you after camping in hike tents for 20 odd years and so much quicker to pitch and decamp than the old army canvas tent i used to use when car based. Takes about 5mins to pitch and a bit longer to pack down if you want it to fit back in the bag.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Feb 2017, 10:29 am

You do realise that there is a bit of a T.A.R.D.I.S thing that goes on with anything that has been unpacked and then has to be repacked in the same neatly fitted bag.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 01 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

Gamerancher wrote:You do realise that there is a bit of a T.A.R.D.I.S thing that goes on with anything that has been unpacked and then has to be repacked in the same neatly fitted bag.

Yeah. My brother is absolutely convinced that it is impossible to get ANY tent back in it's original bag but i like my gear packed neatly so it is easy to stow and get going again next time. It drives me nuts looking for bits and untangling guys when i pitch camp. There is usually a lot of huffing and puffing and muttered instructions/complaints (usually ignored) when my wife just stuffs guys back in the bag with a hand full of pegs. I manage to get it neatly packed in most cases; unless it's raining and dirty and i'm just going to have to clean/dry it when i get home, then i just bundle it up with ties and get the flock outta camp.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Feb 2017, 12:56 pm

Planning to do some overnight fishing trips around Vic this year. The only way I'll get the Mrs to come along is if there is a rooftop tent on the XV. It's a security/safety thing for her, doesn't like sleeping on the ground in unfamiliar territory.

Has anyone used or know of anyone who has used Adventure Kings rooftop tents? They're sold by 4wdsupacentre.com.au for quite cheap compared to other competition (which can be double $ for the same size tent), wondering about the quality.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 01 Feb 2017, 8:09 pm

All the 4wdsupacentre stuff i have is good quality i know people who have their swags they are excellent cant vouch for the rooftopper though
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2017, 9:28 pm

"All the 4wdsupacentre stuff i have is good quality"

That's what I've been told too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 03 Feb 2017, 10:27 am

And 2/3 the price of Darche.

Less than half the price of ARB/Simpson.

Quality comparisons between the lot are pretty inline.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Waza » 07 Feb 2017, 6:43 pm

RTT are awesome but a pain when hunting from your car , to solve this I am putting jackstand legs on my alum canopy for use as a base camp so I can use the 4by to hunt.
Waza
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation