Help with a tent

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Help with a tent

Post by Sam45 » 22 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

Hi guys,

Just came back from a roo cull at Talwood QLD, near St George and Goondiwindi and OMFG the heat was crazy :wtf: It was at best guess 40deg heat with minimal wind. I have a King size swag and I was absolutely cooking in it. Was set up under a machinery shed. Had all sides rolled up and the midgee proof stuff hardly let any wind in. Will be setting up amongst tree's and best option for shade this time.

Heading there again on Wednesday for a further 4 days. Same temps to be had :thumbsdown: What is a good tent to buy that is suited to heat like this? As the swag just doesn't cut it. :crazy: :crazy:

I have 2 options, as I want to hunt State Forest in NSW and will need a hiking tent. Are these suited for hot weather and allow heaps of ventilation ? Or do I need 2 tents? Do touring canvas tents have enough airflow ?

I have no experience in choosing a tent for the above purposes. The Roo and feral culling will be what I will be doing more of. The Hunting in State forests will only be a couple of times a year. So do I need 2?

Cheers

Sam :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Help with a tent

Post by Sam45 » 22 Jan 2017, 9:15 pm

bentaz wrote:If your not worried about rain just string up a mozzie net!

Could be rain lol.Was a few storms when we were there. :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 22 Jan 2017, 9:15 pm

I class a king size swag as a tent haha. yeh i know the feeling of hot swags never liked swags in the heat the canvas traps the heat in. Yeh the thin hiking tents are pretty good, you can take the fly off and the netting of the tent keeps the bugs out. simple light weight. try get one you can pop the vent open on the top on the fly it lets hot air out keeps it cooper if you want the fly on.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Nick-J » 22 Jan 2017, 9:21 pm

The big problem is the midgee netting. I have the same in my Oztent and find a gentle breeze doesn't even make it in.

Have you thought about a 12v fan? Could use it to force air into the swag which would be nice. I'm going to be buying one prior to any camping this summer.

Can't help on the hike tent, however I'll be in the market for one soon. So please post up your decision and if it works out !
Nick-J
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 22 Jan 2017, 9:22 pm

pete1 wrote:I class a king size swag as a tent haha. yeh i know the feeling of hot swags never liked swags in the heat the canvas traps the heat in. Yeh the thin hiking tents are pretty good, you can take the fly off and the netting of the tent keeps the bugs out. simple light weight. try get one you can pop the vent open on the top on the fly it lets hot air out keeps it cooper if you want the fly on.

Yep they are like bloody ovens mate. Could not believe it! I overheated big time. Lucky the farmer had a portable shower next door. Was not good. At a guess, a good quality hiking tent should do it? As I have a 3x3 Gazebo I could put over the top of it. Just as long as it has plenty of ventilation I should be right :D

Nick-J wrote:The big problem is the midgee netting. I have the same in my Oztent and find a gentle breeze doesn't even make it in.

Have you thought about a 12v fan? Could use it to force air into the swag which would be nice. I'm going to be buying one prior to any camping this summer.

Can't help on the hike tent, however I'll be in the market for one soon. So please post up your decision and if it works out !

Yes I will be buying a rechargeable fan. The midge net lets no wind through. It's horrible. Yes going to check out a dome/hiking tent, maybe able to kill two birds with one stone. The swag I'm going to sell. It's horrible. Used it 3 times and I will pass. What ever way I go, I will do a little review when I get back.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2017, 9:32 pm

Get a hiking tent and set up a tarp to shelter it from direct sun. Have set up camp like this a heap of times. String a rope between two small trees an pitch the tarp with guys and 4 poles in a shallow a-frame over the rope. Set up the tent or just the inner underneath the tarp. Works a treat.
Never set up 'under trees'. Falling limbs are killers and eucalypts can shed limbs in hot dry conditions.

I also have a 'turbo tent' which is pretty good for airflow but is heavy. If you just buy a good hike tent and shelter it with a tarp you will have a huge improvement over a swag.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 22 Jan 2017, 9:40 pm

Gwion wrote:Get a hiking tent and set up a tarp to shelter it from direct sun. Have set up camp like this a heap of times. String a rope between two small trees an pitch the tarp with guys and 4 poles in a shallow a-frame over the rope. Set up the tent or just the inner underneath the tarp. Works a treat.
Never set up 'under trees'. Falling limbs are killers and eucalypts can shed limbs in hot dry conditions.

I also have a 'turbo tent' which is pretty good for airflow but is heavy. If you just buy a good hike tent and shelter it with a tarp you will have a huge improvement over a swag.

Cheers mate. Sounds like the way to go. Yes trees and branches ouch. I'm looking at one of MSR hiking tents. Not cheap, but if it does the job, happy days.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 23 Jan 2017, 6:48 am

I know the feeling sam iwas in that area you mentioned in november , i shoot in the forests in northern nsw like you plan on doing the big thing there in some forests is the lack of places to set up camp at the side of the tracks cus the scrub grows so dense after trying tents etc i settled on a stretcher tent was pissed off cutting holes in the floor of the tents no clear ground to pitch in some places so find the stretcher tent way easier get a good breeze under you as well and i use a thermal mat on it in winter to stop the cold underneath no hassles with water as your're off the ground fully meshed as well packs up smaller than a swag sets up in 30 seconds and you can move it around once set up ,hope this helps m8
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 23 Jan 2017, 12:38 pm

Sam45 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Get a hiking tent and set up a tarp to shelter it from direct sun. Have set up camp like this a heap of times. String a rope between two small trees an pitch the tarp with guys and 4 poles in a shallow a-frame over the rope. Set up the tent or just the inner underneath the tarp. Works a treat.

Cheers mate. Sounds like the way to go. Yes trees and branches ouch. I'm looking at one of MSR hiking tents. Not cheap, but if it does the job, happy days.

MSR make some good gear! Better to invest in a good light weight tent that will last for years than to spread your cash over two tents right away. My hike tent is by Mountain Designs (Aust.) and i have had it for 20years now and it is still in good nick but not as light as newer designs at around 3.5kg. The wife and i bought a touring tent about 5 years ago because we got sick of climbing in and out of the hike tents while car based camping. We go the Blackwolf 'Turbo Tent' and love it but a good hike tent is far more versatile and you can always set up tarps for extra shelter from sun or wind or rain, as i did for 15 years before getting the turbo tent. Actually, for quite some time i used to set up my hike tent inside an old army canvas mess tent that was my grand parents tent. Just the insect proof inner in summer and the whole tent and fly in winter for extra warmth. Was a great set up but ditched that when i bought the Turbo because it is far easier to put up than the old mess tent and takes for less space to back and transport. Back in those days (pre-marriage) i used to head out and set up base camp on my own for 1-3 weeks at a time at least 2-3 times a year. For walking trips or just a weekender i would just take the hike tent.

Anyhoo... good luck and have fun. :)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Adlippy » 31 Jan 2017, 8:42 pm

This maybe a little on the late side But if you are looking at MSR money spend a bit more and have a look at Exped Venus 2, weighting in at 2.5 kgish or ta hilleburg akto it's a one person tent weighs 1kg both around the 700 mark both have a advantage over the msr in you can set the whole thing up in one go, none of this set the tent up then miss around with the fly stuff which helps if you are setting up in the rain the inside of your tent stays dry. Both take about 5 minutes to set up the best I can do is 4 minutes. They are worth the money
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 9:22 pm

caravan with air con would be my option :D rent one if ya don't own one.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 31 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

Depending on the types of places you set up camp, you might want to consider a hammock. There's some pretty advanced options available now
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2017, 10:14 am

Portable Air conditioners might be the go if you have access to a Genie.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/heating- ... nditioners
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 01 Feb 2017, 5:57 pm

Have a look at ultra light hiking gear. The tents usually have a mesh lower to decrease bulk and weight which makes them pretty airy. Mine weights about 1.2kg packed up with pegs an poles. Good for summer, spring and autumn. You can get ultra light sleeping bags too that roll up into a tiny bundle and same as the tent they are no good for winter.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2017, 9:36 pm

I use one of these, :D or a cheap dome tent.

caravan .jpg
caravan .jpg (6.69 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Feb 2017, 3:48 am

Oldbloke wrote:I use one of these, :D or a cheap dome tent.

caravan .jpg

Now ya talkin! :lol: why rough it when you don't have too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 02 Feb 2017, 7:02 am

Oldbloke is that front section a built in game chiller!, :P
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2017, 12:45 pm

albat wrote:Oldbloke is that front section a built in game chiller!, :P

No mate, that's the gun cabinet. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 02 Feb 2017, 1:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I use one of these, :D or a cheap dome tent.

The attachment caravan .jpg is no longer available

I wish I had a spare $60K + and I would be in one too. Sadly I don't. I went down to the local camping store and asked the guy for help and recommendations.

Well what a mistake that was. Ended up with a Airtent in Nylon that cooked and roasted me as much as the Swag did. This is it here :thumbsdown:

16252473_10208382195451996_7292400730623279485_o.jpg
16252473_10208382195451996_7292400730623279485_o.jpg (604.23 KiB) Viewed 4625 times

Easy setup but still way to hot. So I took it back. This one folded up nicely and fitted in the backseat of my dual cab ute.

Charged me a restocking fee of $100 and I walked away with this one. Now this one is meant to do the job bla, bla, bla. Would not for the life of me give me a store credit. Sadly the bloody thing is 2 meters long packed up. So now I will have to get roof racks or some ladder racks. Fark me swinging.

This is the tent they gave me. It is a Ripstop Cotton Canvas RV2. Have the fly to go over the top as well.

RV2-BDL02.jpg
RV2-BDL02.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 4625 times

RV2F.jpg
RV2F.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 4625 times

So I think I am still at square one. I think I will sell the RV2, buy some sides for my Gazebo and a stretcher bed and run with that option. Like this set up.

16179529_10208382408137313_1910081334128162805_o.jpg
16179529_10208382408137313_1910081334128162805_o.jpg (675.2 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 02 Feb 2017, 8:19 pm

At those temps any tent is going to roast you. You could try using a battery powered fan, or dig out a pit under the tent so the surface you are laying on is cooler than the ground surface. The second idea is how dogs do it... or just put up with the heat.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigpete » 04 Feb 2017, 2:06 am

I'd just go a mesh hammock with a tarp over it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 04 Feb 2017, 8:03 am

happyhunter wrote:At those temps any tent is going to roast you. You could try using a battery powered fan, or dig out a pit under the tent so the surface you are laying on is cooler than the ground surface. The second idea is how dogs do it... or just put up with the heat.

Yep bought a rechargeable fan :thumbsup: Yep the only way to truly beat it , would be a caravan with an aircon. Winter is not too far away. May stick to the cooler months. As I have now access to all 6 properties at any time.

bigpete wrote:I'd just go a mesh hammock with a tarp over it

Was looking at this idea. Just put up a gazebo, with some mesh sides and sleeping stretcher and happy days :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation