living trees

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

living trees

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2017, 5:23 pm

Does anyone think that if you put a target on a living tree and shoot copper plated lead into it it would harm the tree.I always put my zeroing targets on old dead stumps.My Irish father in law used to kill trees by hammering a copper spike in. :allegedly:
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: living trees

Post by pete1 » 19 Feb 2017, 5:32 pm

To much of certain minerals will make plants and animals sick and can see the affects of high concentrations of copper in the soil affect pasture, but trees so big you will have to put alot of bullets.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Feb 2017, 7:06 pm

on a 'living' tree..... like a sentient being?? :P :P :wtf:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2017, 7:35 pm

I don't shoot live trees. It's not a good look for shooters as it shows a complete lack of respect for your surroundings.

I carry a big A4 sized biscut tin full of paper targets and a cut down clip board that can be set up on the ground for zeroing.

Empty drink cans and cartons, pizza boxes, beer cartons, ... there's always something to use other than a tree.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2017, 8:16 pm

Not unusual for me to check my zero in the bush. But always try and avoid live trees. I believe projectiles in trees can be an issue when the timber is sawn, breaks teeth off. Can't be good for the tree. Usually pick a stump, with a peg and cord system I use but sometimes take target frame or box.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Feb 2017, 4:47 am

Now you got me thinking, have I shot trees? And the answer is... Yes. Intentionally? Again the answer is yes. You see when I was more actively hunting the dreaded furry-tailed nut thief, also know as the squirrel, I was taught by my father to take my rifle shots when the tree-rat was on the trunk or the side of a large enough branch, that if, or when, I missed the bullet would hit the tree instead of traveling off to parts unknown. And of course there were the pellets from when I used a shotgun, resulting in a higher bag count, that most assuredly went on and dug themselves into the trees, not to mention the times I took shots at quail or other game birds that crossed in front of trees.

Now what about using the tree as a back stop for a target, again the answer is yes. At the grandparents farm just outside the back porch stood an old tree, I'm going to say it was an oak, that had been used as a place to nail targets to since the first part of the 20th century. Grandpa had learn to shoot by shooting into it in the 1910s, dad and his siblings in the 1930s onward. My brothers and I, and our cousins too, from the 1960s through the 70s into the 1980s. The tree still stands, at least it did 5 years ago when I was back to that part of Kansas for an aunt's funeral, and went by the old farmstead, no longer in the family. I would guess that old tree to be 3 1/2 to 4 foot in diameter.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 20 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

At the very least, shooting a tree will provide an entry point for fungal and other infections. At worst, enough copper will kill a tree.
As mentioned above, it's not a good look blasting holes in trees. A bit like using a tree as somewhere to leave your ax. It just leaves big ugly marks for no real purpose.
I wouldn't use an old gum or Blackwood as a target but I have used weedy trees (like maple and willow) as targets.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Feb 2017, 2:22 pm

Gwion wrote:I wouldn't use an old gum or Blackwood as a target but I have used weedy trees (like maple and willow) as targets.

That's a good point, there are plenty of non native problem trees that certainly should be cut down with gunfire :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2017, 2:33 pm

Many, many moons ago, I watched a mate shoot himself in the toe with a rebound off an ironbark stump. :o
We, me and another mate,thought it was hilarious :lol: .
Low velocity, fat lead bullets tend to "bounce" . We shot into a dam bank after that. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Feb 2017, 4:24 pm

but.... but ..... but.... theyre so damned convenient....we have forests full of literally millions of target back-stops.. :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 21 Feb 2017, 10:19 am

Enough shots and you will shoot a hole right through and the tree falls down.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by GLS_1956 » 21 Feb 2017, 9:12 pm

happyhunter wrote:Enough shots and you will shoot a hole right through and the tree falls down.

This takes more rounds than you think. A few decades ago when the range was getting ready to expand, bulldoze down a number of trees, a group of us decided to "shoot one down". We set up about 50 feet away and went after a scrub oak with our 22s. The tree was about 6 inches in diameter and after several thousand rounds, I personally fired more than 500 shots into the tree, it was still standing. However the D-4 did what the gun couldn't.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2017, 9:17 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Enough shots and you will shoot a hole right through and the tree falls down.

This takes more rounds than you think. A few decades ago when the range was getting ready to expand, bulldoze down a number of trees, a group of us decided to "shoot one down". We set up about 50 feet away and went after a scrub oak with our 22s. The tree was about 6 inches in diameter and after several thousand rounds, I personally fired more than 500 shots into the tree, it was still standing. However the D-4 did what the gun couldn't.

Let's ask Brett how many shots it takes to fell a large tree. Id bet he'd have one down in just a few ... or less :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2017, 8:59 am

Many years ago I used to "cut down" trees (wattle regrowth) on the farm with my .22 magnum when I ran out of rabbits to shoot. I could usually get a 2-4" one down with a magazine. (7 shot) Mind you, ammo was only $4.50 a 50 pack back then.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Feb 2017, 10:53 pm

I have one particular tree that has been well used as a target holder upperer.
50% of my property is under native trees of quite some differing species, however I still value and protect them.

Apart from this one particular tree which is a large ironbark.

Partly as a "science" project (concerning lead/copper injections) it doesn't worry me if it does eventually die or fall over, as it would then be put to good use as timber furniture and firewood.

This particular tree has ingested hundreds if not thousands of rounds over a six year period ranging from general checking of zero, setting up, and full on target competition between family and friends.
Ammunition ranging from .22rf through and up to .375 H+H Magnums have been dealt out.

The tree has shown no signs of any sort that it is ill or dying,, excepting the physical loss of bark and holes in the impact zone.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Antie » 28 Feb 2017, 2:36 pm

Don't they hammer copper nails into trees specifically as a method of killing them?

So... That.
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 01 Mar 2017, 6:58 am

Thing is shooting live trees is illegal. Funny you would ask about it Duncan.
[Edit] Illegal on public land for sure. Private property I'm not sure about so maybe somebody else can clarify.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 01 Mar 2017, 7:03 am

happyhunter wrote:Thing is shooting live trees is illegal. Funny you would ask about it Duncan.
[Edit] Illegal on public land for sure. Private property I'm not sure about so maybe somebody else can clarify.

Do you have a link to this law?
Has anybody ever been charged with shooting at trees?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation