Sleeping in a swag

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Sleeping in a swag

Post by mobo » 02 Dec 2013, 10:00 am

G'day,

I've got a tent and sleeping bags and the usual 'family camping trip' type set up by looking for a lightweight kit for going out solo.

Who here uses a swag?

The lightweight/size is obviously a plus, but how's the comfort space?

I like a bit of standing room in the tent and it gives a bit more room for a little mattress in there and all that.

Do you guys find the swag is good once you get used to it? Or are the above just sacrifices you make to carry less?
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Sleeping in a swag

Post by jeener » 02 Dec 2013, 1:43 pm

mobo wrote:The lightweight/size is obviously a plus, but how's the comfort space?

I like a bit of standing room in the tent and it gives a bit more room for a little mattress in there and all that.

Do you guys find the swag is good once you get used to it? Or are the above just sacrifices you make to carry less?

Depends on what you need to be comfortable IMO.

I have a mate who sleeps like a log in his, but I couldn't do it.

Sleeping in the confined space didn't work for me on the few times I tried it. I felt my arms and legs were restricted a little from stretching out.
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 02 Dec 2013, 3:40 pm

I've had the same one for since I was 20 and I love sleeping in it not just camping but staying at somones house ,bedding down
in a shed , shack or where ever . Mine is just the old traditional roll out canvas , zip down the side and around the foot end . I've
definately got softer as i got older , the first thing I did with mine was put a wider matress in , about 900 mm . But it did start
getting hard on the hip so i got a self inflating matress from Anaconda and chucked that in as well as the foam matress and It
is fantastic now. Undo the plugs on the self inflater roll it up bedding and all , I use sheet s and blankets not a sleeping bag .
Get where your going undo the buckles give it a kick to unroll it wait 5 mins for the matress , great time for a beer while everyone
else is trying to work out thier tent , do up the plugs and its done . Used to love the rain on it as long as it was'nt torrential , but
I do put up a tarp now if im staying more than a night now .Nothing wrong with a swag inside a tent either.
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tonit » 02 Dec 2013, 5:10 pm

reddog wrote:But it did start getting hard on the hip so I got a self inflating mattress from Anaconda and chucked that in as well as the foam mattress and it is fantastic now.

Yep, sleeping on the floor is for suckers.

A little mattress is a must.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Zilla » 03 Dec 2013, 8:47 am

Tonit wrote:Yep, sleeping on the floor is for suckers.

Or for the young at least.

Not for these old bones though.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 03 Dec 2013, 9:49 am

reddog wrote:I got a self inflating matress from Anaconda

That's next on my list.

One of those Black Wolf self inflating mattresses looks like the one for me.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Igoe » 10 Dec 2013, 3:53 pm

Love my swag, but I wouldn't call it a lightweight solution.
I have no problems sleeping in it, and have a fair bit of room in there. Mine is dome style 2500 x 900 internally, so pretty roomy.
My son has a bivvy. About the same size as a swag, but lightweight.

Ian
Igoe
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 10 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

Igoe wrote:Love my swag, but I wouldn't call it a lightweight solution.

Probably better that way anyway.

I've had a look at a few of the ultra lightweight ones and the material is soooo thing.

Wouldn't protect you for s**t against any wind or cold.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jessie » 11 Dec 2013, 8:31 am

Rocker wrote:I've had a look at a few of the ultra lightweight ones and the material is soooo thing.

Wouldn't protect you for s**t against any wind or cold.

I learnt that one the hard way.

Waking up with frozen condensation on your face is pretty great I can tell you...
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 13 Dec 2013, 8:26 pm

I use a Roman self inflating mattress in my swag and just use woollen blanks. This way if you get cold you can use more blankets, if hot chuck a few off.

I have had my swag for over 16 years so if looking at buying a swag don't skimp on quality. Now most top quality swags aren't light when you compare them to a 2 man tent.

Also, when you have blankets, foam mattress extra or even sleeping bag they can be quite bulky.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 15 Dec 2013, 10:04 am

Varmtr wrote:Now most top quality swags aren't light when you compare them to a 2 man tent.

Also, when you have blankets, foam mattress extra or even sleeping bag they can be quite bulky.

Yep.

I've got a newer 3-man Roman tent, blow up mattress, and black-wolf sleeping bag. That's nearly a full pack in itself.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sloth » 02 Jan 2014, 10:41 pm

Had my swag foam replaced with six inch stuff and have a sleeping bag in it that goes down to -5C.
Does me fine. Basic type, roll it out and there you go
Sloth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 03 Jan 2014, 6:56 am

Sloth wrote:Had my swag foam replaced with six inch stuff and have a sleeping bag in it that goes down to -5C.

Those few extra degrees seems to really make a difference.

I've slept in a 0 degree rated one, and also a -3 rated one on a similar night and was much warmer.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 04 Jan 2014, 7:34 pm

swag on a stretcher comfy as, you don't need a new mattress and as you are off the ground its warmer
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Monty » 04 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm

Being on the ground is the killer.

That cold just seeps up into you and you can't escape it.

A mattress, stretcher, hammock... Anything to stay off the cold ground IMO.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2014, 8:32 pm

I made mine. A piece of used canvas, folded over and roughly stitched bottom and 3/4 of the way up the side. Added 3 inch piece of foam for a mattress and a sleeping bag, I always take a good pillow. Its fine unless it is raining, if it looks like rain I put up a 3 man igloo tent.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 04 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

I've gone soft.

Picked up an inflatable mattress and battery air pump last week :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 04 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm

I usually go the dome swag, but if I have weight or size issues ( jumping in with a few mates in one car) or if I'm going some where I know will be wet and rainy I'll take a hiking tent and a roll out camp mat. Sucks getting dressed in the rain.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by mobo » 23 Jan 2014, 12:23 pm

Ended up finding a good one at BCF half price for $150.

In built self inflating mattress, water proof but the top comes off to just have a flyscreen top if it's good weather.

Just needs a tent peg on each end to setup. Feels good, hopefully break it in next weekend :D
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 10 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm

I've slept swags my whole life (all 21 years of it) and never had problem. The best design to go for is where either end has a rope tied to a ute, tree etc. to get rid of that claustrophobic feeling
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elek » 11 Mar 2014, 7:43 am

I'm definitely keen for a swag.

Getting a tent up is fine, but it's such a pain in the ass packing it all up at the end of a trip when you're knackered.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by benny » 11 Mar 2014, 9:07 am

tom604 wrote:swag on a stretcher comfy as, you don't need a new mattress and as you are off the ground its warmer

couldn't agree more, went form tent, to swag on the floor now to swag on a stretcher and just as comfy as my bed at home. and i just setup under my awning on the side of the 4bie.

easy as to setup too, as said earlier fold out the stretcher and unroll the swag and sit back and have a beer while mucks around with their tents!
benny
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Hugh » 04 Nov 2017, 7:31 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I've slept swags my whole life (all 21 years of it) and never had problem. The best design to go for is where either end has a rope tied to a ute, tree etc. to get rid of that claustrophobic feeling

AAhhhh to be 21 again,back then I didn't even worry about a matress or swag just a 1945 canvas 10 x 8 ft folded in half,and a couple of blankets and if it was really cold in the snow the dog got to join me,nowadays they would have to call the air ambulance in the morning.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation