Sausage Casings

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Sausage Casings

Post by Tom Foolery » 14 Apr 2017, 12:26 pm

My wife is dead set against trophy heads and that sort of thing. Which leaves meat hunting as my main source of entertainment. I'm yet to have a go at making sausages but I recently got a band saw and mincer off eBay.

Boerwors are top of the list, mainly because I haven't made sausages before and they require a minimum of twisting.

Yes you can make sausages out of just about anything, including roo, which can be bought at most supermarkets. Having a legal supply of roo meat is the hardest part.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 14 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

wrenchman wrote:ok as a guy from the states what typ do you guys like to make and is there any wild game involved.
i try to make a batch of italian in the fall and if i have the deer meat i will make some with it.
can you guys make sausage from roo meat.

If you want you can even buy it in the supermarket...

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... tId=713467

...although for me, kangaroo is so lean and needs so much other animal fat added to make good sausages, you're better off marinating it and bbq'ing it, or using a bit less fat and making burgers.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 23 May 2017, 10:38 am

Got a batch of geese sausages made up last week, natural casing, done by local butcher. I feel that natural casing gives a little extra "something" to the sausage, if you are going to spend time and effort getting some quality meat, why use synthetic casing when your meat is all natural.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation