Left the sleeping bag in the tent... mistake!

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Left the sleeping bag in the tent... mistake!

Post by veep » 28 Jun 2017, 3:48 pm

After the last camp we had to back up in a bit of a hurry and in a CBF packing up moment I rolled my my tent with sleeping bag inside.

Little bit of moisture in there at the time as I knew, but thought it'd be right.

Fast forward 2 weeks later. Nope! I was wrong lol.

Rocking a nice layer of green over the bag now, and a smell that could choke a donkey lol.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Left the sleeping bag in the tent... mistake!

Post by Terrence » 28 Jun 2017, 3:59 pm

Been there... We always open up and layout everything in the sun for at least a day when we get back home.
Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 4:38 pm

Chuck it. You will never get rid of the spores and it will be s significant health risk. Hope it wasn't too expensive to replace.

Always unpack and air any dampe gear immediately after a trip.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jun 2017, 4:49 pm

I'd give it a wash in "Oil of Cloves" should kill the mold and if not nothing lost, worth trying before you toss it out.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2017, 5:36 pm

Don't throw it soak it in vinegar for two days let it dry in the sun and then wash as usual. We deal with a little bit of mold in the tropics :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2017, 6:26 pm

Daddybang wrote:Don't throw it soak it in vinegar for two days let it dry in the sun and then wash as usual. We deal with a little bit of mold in the tropics :thumbsup:

That's a lot of vinegar?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2017, 6:34 pm

Yeah about five litres :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 28 Jun 2017, 6:59 pm

Buy cheap homebrand 2l or so bottles of vinegar for about $2 shouldnt cost much to save gear if it is expensive
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 7:12 pm

Molds can be serious business and i'd rather a new bag than risk long term health.
I had a bag that got mouldy years ago. I cleaned it and aired it, etc but it never came good. Problem is it is very hard to dry the filling efficiently enough to stop the mold recolonising and it is very difficult to get 100% eradication of spores.

https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-livi ... d#cleaners

https://www.regence.com/when-mold-attacks

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... SE4vahyctg

http://www.aehf.com/articles/molds.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... u-ill.aspx

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/18/healt ... 04591.html

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 1&t=135506
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jun 2017, 7:17 pm

We used to get mold issues in the house we rented, we used vinegar and whilst it got rid of it for a while it would come back, then I found out about Oil of Cloves and used that, the mold has never come back since.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2017, 7:31 pm

Daddybang wrote:Don't throw it soak it in vinegar for two days let it dry in the sun and then wash as usual. We deal with a little bit of mold in the tropics :thumbsup:

That's a lot of vinegar?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 28 Jun 2017, 7:43 pm

5 teaspoons of home brew sanitiser in 5l of water, infinitely cheaper than venegar and actually kills the spores

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 28 Jun 2017, 8:54 pm

I did this with my stretcher not even realizing it had dew on it, but with a sleeping bag.. id be chucking it personally, they're so cheap these days
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Jun 2017, 8:56 pm

Gwion wrote:. Problem is it is very hard to dry the filling efficiently enough to stop the mold recolonising and it is very difficult to get 100% eradication of spores.

Start remote area backpacking and sleeping bags get wet all the time. Any decent quality bag should be easy to dry
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Jun 2017, 8:57 pm

AusTac wrote:I did this with my stretcher not even realizing it had dew on it, but with a sleeping bag.. id be chucking it personally, they're so cheap these days

Cheap car camping gear is cheap. Good quality backpacking stuff with low comfort ratings are not cheap
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 28 Jun 2017, 9:07 pm

My health is priceless
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 9:39 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
Gwion wrote:. Problem is it is very hard to dry the filling efficiently enough to stop the mold recolonising and it is very difficult to get 100% eradication of spores.

Start remote area backpacking and sleeping bags get wet all the time. Any decent quality bag should be easy to dry

I'm talking about drying a bag from full immersion trying to kill mold spores.

If your bag is getting that wet while hiking you need to reassess your kit and include a full pack dry bag liner. Also a silk or cotton inner bag goes a long way to preventing a crusty bag. Always air your bag post trip, immediately, even if it seems dry and has been a dry trip. My bag would cost about $800 to replace so I'm taking no chances of getting it buggered! Had it over 10years now and it is still as good as new. Proper care goes a long way!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jun 2017, 4:19 am

bigfellascott wrote:We used to get mold issues in the house we rented, we used vinegar and whilst it got rid of it for a while it would come back, then I found out about Oil of Cloves and used that, the mold has never come back since.

How do ya use the oil . I assume ya dilute it.?
Will have to give it a try. The mold during the wet is a pain in the arse so always happy to try a different ideas. If I chucked kit out because of a bit of mold I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 29 Jun 2017, 7:15 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:We used to get mold issues in the house we rented, we used vinegar and whilst it got rid of it for a while it would come back, then I found out about Oil of Cloves and used that, the mold has never come back since.

Will have to give it a try. The mold during the wet is a pain in the arse so always happy to try a different ideas. If I chucked kit out because of a bit of mold I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot. :drinks:

I get what you are saying, Daddybang but a bit of mould regularly dealt with is a lot different to a sleeping bag that has been left wet for two weeks to totally fester to the point described in the OP. Nothing is gonna save that thing!!! Sometimes you really are better of just replacing gear and taking it as the learning curve and improve your maintenance regime.
Last edited by Gwion on 29 Jun 2017, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jun 2017, 8:07 am

Gwion wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

I get what you are saying, Daddybang but a bit of moulde regularly felt with is a lot different to a sleeping bag that has been left wet for two weeks to totally fester to the point described in the OP. Nothing is gonna save that thing!!! Sometimes you really are better of just replacing gear and taking it as the learning curve and improve you maintenance regime,

Yeah mate I understand what ya saying. I'm probably a bit of a tight arse. :friends:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2017, 3:55 pm

Daddybang wrote:

Yeah from memory I just put some in the mop bucket and used the mop to put it on the ceiling in the Bathroom and walls in some of the bedrooms that seemed to have mold issues, I've also used it in spray bottles too and so far so go with no signs of it coming back. I think we got the oil of cloves from the chemist from memory, it didn't cost bugger all and seems effective (plenty of people around here use it as we can be quite damp over the winter mths etc (things are very slow to dry here in winter).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jun 2017, 4:05 pm

Thanks for that BFS will add it to the weekend list of things to get in town and give it a try :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2017, 7:50 pm

Daddybang wrote:Thanks for that BFS will add it to the weekend list of things to get in town and give it a try :drinks:

Too easy mate hopefully it helps. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation