Does sleeping near a river bother you? (the noise)

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Does sleeping near a river bother you? (the noise)

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2017, 2:51 am

Daddybang wrote:Up here the bloody wildlife keeps me from my water source. :lol: :drinks:

I caught a coach up to Darwin to do a one-in-eight pistol shoot when I was working in the Kimberley, got into town in the evening. Scoffed a pie and a Mars bar, then wandered across the park in the middle of town at the war memorial looking for a spot to sleep. It was all pretty open so I climbed over the fence and into the bush for some privacy. Didn't get a lot of sleep due to the constant rattling of the birds in the bush. At dawn I wandered back into town for a feed, and mentioned the night life keeping me up. They asked me where I slept, then told me that wasn't birds, that was crocs. The fence was there to keep them out of the town!!!!

Turned out to be great weekend though. I got a taxi out to the range only to find the Army there practicing for the Brunei Skill-at-Arms competition. I hung around the guys that were practicing with their Brownings on the IPSC range until a lieutenant-colonel showed up. Got chatting with him, explained I was stuck there for the shoot until I could get a taxi back into town in time for the coach back to Turkey Creek. He bundled me into his Defender and took me around while he kept an eye on proceedings on two more ranges where they were practicing with F88's and Bren Guns :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 03 Aug 2017, 7:31 am

The only time I have been truly scared camping by a river was back when I was about twelve and dad took me fishing at shady camp in the nt. The crocs made that much noise barkin and growling it was hard to hear the water Goin over the barrage. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 03 Aug 2017, 7:59 am

Daddybang wrote:The only time I have been truly scared camping by a river was back when I was about twelve and dad took me fishing at shady camp in the nt. The crocs made that much noise barkin and growling it was hard to hear the water Goin over the barrage. :thumbsup:

Ok. To be fair I would probably have trouble sleeping in that situation too. It's not the actual river that is the problem though. It's those, as you so humously put it, handbags with teeth!!! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 03 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

Not at all I love it.. Find it very relaxing, same with waves at the beach... As for the handbags, they usually leave you alone if you have a camp fire between you and them.Failing that then my dog would always let me know if one came anywhere near camp :thumbsup: Probably would have been a good strategy to get the missus to sleep on that side too ;) , god help them if they wake her up :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

Sleep near a river, Yeah all the time, that way can't hear the other half snoring... :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation