Driza-Bone Riding Coat

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Driza-Bone Riding Coat

Post by Lorgar » 08 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

Finally dragged myself to the city to the Driza-Bone store to find myself a proper coat for time in the bush.

Cold and wet as it often is in Victoria I always find your thighs are the place that suffers; whatever your normal jacket deflects your thighs cop instead.

So, I picked up one of their full length riding coats.

I'm not as suave looking as this fellow :lol: but this is the one.

driza-bone-riding-coat.jpg
Driza-Bone riding coat
driza-bone-riding-coat.jpg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 4478 times

$300 for the coat, pretty good value I reckon. Glad I went in store to look at it though as I thought sizing was a bit funny. They have an optional button-in liner, and I think are expecting you to be wearing a few layers underneath as well so it felt like each size was 1 bigger than you'd expect it to be judging by the label. Depending on how thick you wear stuff under it will determine obviously, but one to look at in the flesh instead of ordering online I'd say.

Haven't put it through any real tests yet but after taking the dog out at night to the park in the drizzle the last 2 nights came home bone dry. Heading out this weekend to the Vic highlands for 3 days and the forecast is cold and cloudy/rain so I expect it's going to get a proper workout.

Initial impressions though are it's a top coat. :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Driza-Bone Riding Coat

Post by Kyle.88 » 08 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

Those driza bones are pretty good. I've got a vest made by Burke and Wills made of the same oilskin material, but I won't wear it hunting on public land. Too close to the colour of a deer or goat for my liking.
Kyle.88
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 08 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

I got lucky at a Garage sale about ten or so years ago. Full length RM Williams (Australian Made) Oil skin coat, maybe it had been tried on, looked new $10.
I've got a 3/4 Driza-Bone too, both great in the wet.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Aug 2017, 6:13 pm

Keep your Drizabone treated, usually once year, with the proper Drizabone stuff the shops sell, don't use saddle soap or leather treatments on your Driza. There is a very good reason drovers from early to now use these things, and I've worn mine on the bike as well, I don't like them for stalking as, just like denim, the material is noisy in the bush and deer can hear you quite a distance away. I have always preferred heavy woolen garments for stalking in winter with the raincoat in a satchel or pack for when it gets too filthy to keep hunting. The old Swanndri I have is an ideal hunting garment. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Aug 2017, 6:39 pm

Store it rolled up in a cupboard instead of hanging on the veranda like most blokes do and they take a lot longer before they need to be re-oiled. They are designed to keep you dry, if it is cold and windy, make sure you wear something warm under it.
Like most of the gear that was originally designed for purpose and hard work, they were hi-jacked years ago as a fashion accessory, I've even seen one yuppie,( showing my age there), take his off due to it raining and didn't want to get it wet! FFS!!! :crazy:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Aug 2017, 7:02 pm

Man, it's in the name "Driza-bone", water out first. Horse riding was the original application.
Don't know that I've ever ridden a horse fast enough to shred one. :lol: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

Take your spurs off! :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation