Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park, VIC

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Mar 2018, 8:23 pm

:crazy:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Mar 2018, 8:35 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The big problem is that some people's dogs are just plain stupid, aggressive, disobedient, un-teaibed or all 4.

Personally my dogs are trained well enough that leads are never necessary, they always follow comands instantly ... it's a shame so many people don't take the time to train dogs properly.

This▲▲▲▲
Every time I go camping I've got to chase other people's dogs out of my camp.
It pisses me off when mine are well trained but I still keep them on a rope run and other inconsiderate pricks just let theirs run amok!! :x :x :x :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Mar 2018, 8:44 pm

I wonder if you have a tiny lap dog you get a discount?

What's the fine for cats, or panthers?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Mar 2018, 11:05 pm

Yes Daddybang, you are on the pin, we used to go to a camping area 50km from where I live and stay for 3-4 days fishing, there used to be about 15 local families together camped in one area most had pig dogs or dogs of some kind so the agreement was all dogs had to be on chains or in pig crates.

This was fine for years then a few other people started arriving and they also agreed to comply with tied up or locked up for their dogs

Then the council took over the camp and put toilets there (we all had our own portables).

Then came the rent collector for the camp they built him a humpy down one end of the camp area ,you had to drive past him to get in you couldn't get in if you didn't pay, so with him came two big mongrel dogs that terrorised the kids and fought with the dogs on the chains.

It went on for a couple of years then one of the new comers got fed up and let his four pig dogs off their chains whilst the rent collectors dogs were
hammering another blokes dog that was tied to his car '' Well that was the beginning of the end for dogs there''

The camp manager complained to the council about his dogs getting beat up'' I doubt whether he told the council about all the floggins his dogs had dished out to the other dogs on their chains'' but 3mths later a couple of us turned up for a two day stay and was confronted by two big mongrel dogs and 1.5x1.5m
council sign reading NO DOGS ALLOWED, $300 fine for any person found breaching the law, so there you go.
Member-Deleted

Post by John » 14 Apr 2020, 9:02 am

I’m pretty sure in NSW it’s much the same state forests you can take your dog in to no problems but for some reason you can’t take a dog in to national parks.
I believe that doggers poaching in NP that loose there dogs and don’t bother looking for them are a big part of the reason behind the no dogs aloud like most thing it only takes a few d**kheads to stuff it for everyone.
I hunt on a few properties that boundary NP and SF and in the last 10 years or so where seeing a lot more wild dogs some with callers still on them no tags or regos that have turned in to stock killers.
I’ve got nothing against hunting with dogs personally I’ve done lots of it when I was younger and could keep up with them now days the body just isn’t up to.

It’s much like gun laws and the select few that have made it so hard for the sport and the rest of us suffer because of that few.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 14 Apr 2020, 2:01 pm

If they caught every offender every time they could fine them 500 bucks evertine but because they only catch one offender for every twenty offenders in the park it’s the unlucky bloke that cops a huge fine. And I’m sure they use it as a deterrent as well because anyone caught will prob tell there mates about their huge fine. I stay well away. I don’t need to poach ..I don’t need fines.....and I don’t want a ranger shooting my dog. ... my dog would probably agree too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 30 Apr 2020, 10:00 pm

Different dogs behave differently. My old bloke would never venture out of my sight and never chased any animal (seagulls on the beach don't count do they?). I've seen others that would chase and kill anything that moved. The idiots who write these laws clearly don't spend any time around well trained dogs. It has to do with having the dog under control and that can be confined in a vehicle, on a leash or otherwise.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2020, 6:24 am

Blanket rule to cover all bases ... rangers have not got the time to stake out people walking their poodles responsibly and following them to ensure the poodle does not chase anything during a 5 k walk .....they need these rules so that when they catch pig hunters in Nat parks they can successfully prosecute them. And they need to be doing this to discourage peo0le from taking dogs into the park and losing them there ..... a cassowary might be able to chase away two dingoes but not so easy dealing with a couple of mastiff crosses
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2020, 6:25 am

It’s a shame because our dogs are part of the family and a weekend away in the bush is more complete with the entire family
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation