Coat shoulder cape, removing it?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Coat shoulder cape, removing it?

Post by Xerox » 21 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

Fellas,

Those with bush style coats with the shoulder cape on them, do you think the cape really adds much?

I'm picking up a passdown one from the family, wondering about cutting the cape of so it can double as something to wear around town if it's really s**ty weather, without the decidedly country look of the shoulder cape.

I haven't had one before, just seems doubling up to me though with the cape as if the coat is waterproof what is the point of the cape?

One more bit of fabric flapping around for nothing?

Or is it actually doing anything to keep you dry?
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Coat shoulder cape, removing it?

Post by Gwion » 22 Aug 2017, 8:33 am

It's also about the weight of the coat hanging on your shoulders.

Touch the wall of your average tent while it's raining and your fingers get wet. It's known as 'wicking'. That's why the extra, 'loose' flap is there on the shoulders. Stop water wicking through and getting you wet through constant pressure and movement from the weight of the coat on your body.

Issue is not so great in other areas due to less weight/pressure.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Carter » 28 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

Gwion wrote:Touch the wall of your average tent while it's raining and your fingers get wet. It's known as 'wicking'.

In the case of my tent it gets wet because it's, I think the technical term is... crappy :lol:

Due for an upgrade to a big comfy swag.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 29 Aug 2017, 1:55 pm

sungazer wrote:I have had coats for years and never done the waterproofing as I should have.

What's the suggested reapplication time out of curiosity?

You must get a few years out of it without reapplication unless you're smashing the thing in the bush.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 29 Aug 2017, 2:06 pm

They suggest yearly. I have gone 10 years on some coats. They did need rewaterproofing but they still worked for a good while before getting wet.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation