Which squid jig to use

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Which squid jig to use

Post by Khan » 23 Sep 2017, 4:21 pm

Tell me fishermen, what are peoples experience with squid jigs?

I see what looks like a lot of choice of colours, and not much other difference between them.

Makes of think of "Fishing Lures Are Made To Catch Fishermen, not fish" haha.

Different jigs for different squid do we think? Or just grab one and start jigging :thumbsup:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Which squid jig to use

Post by Dunxy » 23 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

Cant help with local info im afraid but down here in Vic I personally use Yamashita Egi Sutte-R in BK BWO RW NEB RO and BHT patterns.I mostly fish size 3 to 3.5 because 9/10 times bigger is better,there are exceptions but its not the rule.Longest its taken me to bag in last few years is 2hours.

Better jigs do catch more squid and even at $14-20 you only need to catch a couple of squid do pay for themselves.Fish heavy line to get your jigs back, there's no need to finesse for these guys,ive got mates who use 50lb braid straight to the jig and still catch plenty.I use 20lb fluorocarbon leader myself.I run an egi rod but any decent graphite 6kg is 7'-8' ish casting rod will work well.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Sep 2017, 5:49 pm

And contrary to what may be intuitive, try your brighter jigs on brighter days and darker jigs on duller days.

I also stocked up on Yamashita jigs while i was working for Shimano. A bloke in the local warehouse was telling me i was a snobby wanker buying expensive jigs when plenty of locals are happy with the $2 jobbies. I got back to work on the following Mondays and said, "hey, you know why i bought the more expensive jigs? first cast, squid, second cast, squid, third cast, squid....". Also, my Yamishita jigs haven't rusted in years and the $2 ones have literally fallen apart and rusted to bits in that time.

Weed beds, reefs and rocky cost line but weed is good..... Squid is great bait but better tucker!!! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 23 Sep 2017, 6:13 pm

A mix of cheap, expensive and colours is good to have at all times.
When squid are on it doesnt matter what you throw at them, no point using good jigs at time like this.

I did a snapper charter out in the Spencer Gulf a few years ago during a trip across the Nullaboor, we went in close at the end of the day because we wanted to take some squid as bait for the rest of our trip.
El Capitan was using his 30lb snapper outfit with 50lb braid tied directly to a busted up old $2 jig, smashed us all!
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 23 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

True enough but this may be more a case of experience beats gear and enthusiasm! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 23 Sep 2017, 7:12 pm

No doubt Gwion, on a bad day I would prefer to use a better quality jig than a elcheapo, as you will know sometimes the subtlest of changes can make all the difference when your quarry is being difficult, a quality jig is worth the expense.
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2017, 7:29 pm

if I were to choose one and only one it would be
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Harimitsu-Su ... 1438.l2649
this is why
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 03 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

Quality shades :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 04 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

Chinese raybands :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 06 Oct 2017, 12:09 am

i like the pics with kids he looks happy
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation