Canvas thickness for tents and swags

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Canvas thickness for tents and swags

Post by brisb » 07 Oct 2017, 11:37 am

Hi guys,

I see for canvas swags and tents the wall thickness varies from anything between 100gsm and 600gsm.

They're waterproof either way though. So it's a lot more tent/weight with a 600gsm vs the thinner ones, is the trade tear resistance for that? Is that all?
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Canvas thickness for tents and swags

Post by pete1 » 07 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

Yes thicker canvas will last longer, it will also keep you warmer in winter, but you'll have to open it in summer as they get to real warm with thick canvas.
You'll probably find zips, polls will break before canvas does.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Oct 2017, 11:53 am

I love my Big Daddy Deluxe swag from the 4wd Super Centre - great value for money.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 07 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I love my Big Daddy Deluxe swag from the 4wd Super Centre - great value for money.

Mate been looking at one of those. Good to hear that they go alright how are they in wet weather?! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Oct 2017, 6:56 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I love my Big Daddy Deluxe swag from the 4wd Super Centre - great value for money.

Mate been looking at one of those. Good to hear that they go alright how are they in wet weather?! :drinks:

I haven't been in it in wet weather as yet but when I first got them I absolutely soaked them over a week and not a drop of water entered either of them. They are bulky but they are fantastic too sleep in with all that room. They can sag a little in the middle but extra rope and tent pegs soon has it sorted. I've slept in mine down to -8 deg and was lovely and warm and the 12cm mattress is a ripper to sleep on - for the money these things r hard to beat I reckon.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 08 Oct 2017, 7:12 am

My Darche swag (cant think of the model) has quite thin canvas and get bloody cold in winter. Stays dry no matter what, but I'm not a big guy and I feel the cold so I wish it had a thicker canvas on it (disadvantage of buying online).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 08 Oct 2017, 8:15 am

Thanks bfs the missus is ordering two as i type this. :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Oct 2017, 9:20 am

Daddybang wrote:Thanks bfs the missus is ordering two as i type this. :thumbsup:

Make sure they are the BIG DADDY DELUXE ones they have the better mattress compared to the big daddy horizon I think it's called. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 08 Oct 2017, 9:34 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Thanks bfs the missus is ordering two as i type this. :thumbsup:

Make sure they are the BIG DADDY DELUXE ones they have the better mattress compared to the big daddy horizon I think it's called. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 08 Oct 2017, 6:55 pm

I've had the big daddy for close on 12 months, would have spent at least 20 nights in it in that time and it's holding up well, I have been in a very bad storm (forecast said zero % chance of rain) with torrential rain and gail force winds and the ground around and under me was a big puddle, I believe it was around 50 mm that fell, the swag stood up to it no problems, bone dry inside. I've spent a few sub zero nights in it and it warms up nicely inside. On warm summer nights I just open the side and end windows and it lets the breeze through for a comfortable nights sleep......best $159 I've ever spent....I've got some of the other gear from adventure kings and can't fault it, good stuff at ridiculously cheap prices.....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 10 Oct 2017, 12:50 pm

It won't whip around in the wind as much either, so less noise while you're trying to sleep.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation