How to keep cast iron cookware looking good

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

How to keep cast iron cookware looking good

Post by franc » 09 Oct 2017, 8:37 am

I've obviously missing a something here as mine isn't quite right.

I scrub it, give it a little spray with olive oil, wipe it down with a paper towel so it's evenly covered.

After time still get a bit of that brown dust type layer in parts.

Hmm. Tips?
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Re: How to keep cast iron cookware looking good

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 8:46 am

A lot of the brown dusty stuff is actually dirt/dust sticking to the oil. Do you store yours in a plastic tub or bag. Whatever ya do don't use detergent on them!!! I use a cheap can of spray oil on mine . :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 09 Oct 2017, 6:03 pm

Try seasoning it with Canola oil, Olive oil is acidic. This is one guide- http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/06/the- ... d-bbq.html
But its like cleaning guns, there are lots of differing opinions on what is best.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 09 Oct 2017, 6:43 pm

I pressure wash mine, dry and then oil them with cheap vegetable /canola, store in dry place.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm

As mentioned, seasoning cast iron cookware is very important.

Also avoid using olive oil to oil it for storage. Olive oil will go rancid after a while.
Try to use vegetable or canola oil instead.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by franc » 10 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

Daddybang wrote:A lot of the brown dusty stuff is actually dirt/dust sticking to the oil. Do you store yours in a plastic tub or bag. Whatever ya do don't use detergent on them!!! I use a cheap can of spray oil on mine . :thumbsup:

It's stored in a tub, the brown I'm talking about in this case is definitely not just dust though.

e.g. I washed it in the kitchen sink, left it out to dry and a day later it had the brown business on it.

I have been using detergent. I'll try the switch to steel wool instead of that?
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by franc » 10 Oct 2017, 1:05 pm

Wombat, Pete, One_Wheel

I have been using olive oil too. I'll switch to canola next time.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 10 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

Yeah mate detergents strip the seasoning. Simply fill full of water and leave on the fire or stove til it's boiling this will loosen up any sh@t left from cooking and then clean with a scour or steel wool. As others have said it would pay to re-season it. I just coat it all over with spray on canola oil leave it in a moderate oven for 20 mins and repeat that process twice. A nice coatin of oil to finish and ya should be right :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 14 Oct 2017, 12:47 pm

franc wrote:I have been using detergent. I'll try the switch to steel wool instead of that?

Yep.

Cast iron is nothing like kitchen cookware with it's non-stick coatings and all that.

It's tough, and needs to be treated as such.

Steel wool, water and elbow grease to clean it. You're not going to break the thing ;)

Then an oil and wipe down for storage as covered.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 14 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

Seasoning is important. Don't scrub with scourers or steel wool. No strong deturgents and no airdrying.

Put it in the oven at home and heat it up then oil it and put it back in the oven.

When you cook in it fill it with hot water and put it back on the coals to boil then rinse it out and put back on the coals to dry it quickly.

Same at home, if you wash it put it in the oven to dry and oil it straight away. Rust will form in hours on raw wet steel or iron

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

I usually season mine with veg or of some sort, heat the cast iron up and cover it in oil and normally just cook it off in the oven until satisfied its right. Then I repeat 2 or 3 times maybe more depending on how it's looking. When I cook with it I usually give it a wipe with oil before cooking, get it up to temp then start cooking, once I'm done cooking I generally just bring them too a boil to aid in the cleaning process and last resort is adding some dishwashing liquid but generally avoid it if possible (usually is if they are seasoned correctly) once they are clean I dry them and then heat them up again and add some oil and wipe it all over the insdes/outsides and lid as well, let it cool and put them away and I also use newspaper or cardboard to separate the lid from the pot as they are known to get broken when in contact with each other on some of the rougher roads.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 14 Oct 2017, 9:34 pm

The thing is that once you get cast iron cookware properly seasoned is it really easy to clean, all it needs is boiling water, a wipe and then drying over heat.
Proper seasoning is the key.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm

Clean it with steel wool and dry it on the camp fire. Put oil in while hot and smear it with paper towel or such for complete internal coverage.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation