Pull through knife sharpener that's any good?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Pull through knife sharpener that's any good?

Post by wheedle » 09 Oct 2017, 8:46 am

A lot of cheap and nasty ones of these on offer that grind metal off by the mm.

Anyone tell me a brand of a good one that sharpens while taking care of the knifes?

:thumbsup:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Pull through knife sharpener that's any good?

Post by Vati » 10 Oct 2017, 12:50 pm

I can't say I've seen one I was impressed with before.

Too much material taken off like you said.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 10 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

Buy yourself a whetstone. I don't think there are many pull through sharpeners that are any good for your knives.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 10 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

I recently got a Global Minosharp. Gotta say it's proven to be very good.

It has 2 wheel stones, a medium and a fine, which sit in a pool of water in the device and you roll the knife back and forth sequentially.

Just lightly a few times, takes virtually nothing of the blade but the job it does is excellent for almost no fuss or effort.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2017, 8:01 pm

I know you are asking for a pull through type but I recommend the lansky diamond sharpers
https://lansky.com/index.php/products/4 ... nd-system/
as well as the ezy sharp sharpeners
http://www.proknifesharpeners.com/EZESh ... rpener.htm
really the lansky is all I would ever need but the kids needed to give me a present at one stage,
its a good one for when you are going through knives quickly when butchering
I usually use two boning knives per deer or sheep, that's not counting the break out knife and when you have three to do you don't want to be stopping all the time :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 11 Oct 2017, 4:57 am

Mate stay away from those pull through junky ones, they screw the edge of the knife and just rip off metel, if you've got a flat ground knife have a google on the spyderco sharpmaker its easy as to use and produces good results
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm

I went through a few options and ended up spending a motza on a Wicked Edge Sharpener. Ironically buying and using it taught me the technique of knife sharpening and I can now do a pretty good job using a whetsone free hand. The real trick is to ensure when sharpening a blade is that you raise a burr. Once that is done you are well on the way to a sharp knife. There are some excellent videos on youtube that explains how to do so. I have used a few pullthrough knife sharpeners. They are a bit of a blade wrecker. For me it was worth buying a good sharpening system. It is expensive though.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Pythonkeeper » 17 Oct 2017, 4:48 pm

Can't beat a wet stone (oil or water) and a leather strop, with this combination and a bit of practice I think anyone could achieve a shave sharp edge on pretty much any blade. You can get a half decent combination stone from bunnings for around $20-$25, even the cheaper ones will do the job, you can make your own strop pretty cheaply or get one off eBay.
Once you've achieved a sharp edge on a blade you'll hardly need to use a stone to keep it sharp, a quick session on the strop will maintain the edge for the most part.
For out in the field I've found the little Eze lap diamond sharpeners quite handy, the plastic paddle handle type.
For the ultimate no fail user friendly sharpening system I reckon one of the Lansky kits would be hard to beat, team it up with a strop for the final touches and maintainence and you'll never have a dull blade again.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2017, 8:35 pm

No such beast as that which you hunt.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 Oct 2017, 4:22 pm

Use a stone pull through sharpeners are a gimmick for people with blunt kitchen knives that just need to cut up veggies.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Nov 2017, 12:46 pm

AusTac wrote:Mate stay away from those pull through junky ones, they screw the edge of the knife and just rip off metel, if you've got a flat ground knife have a google on the spyderco sharpmaker its easy as to use and produces good results

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/77

Is this the one you were talking about Austac? I've been thinking about getting one, reviews have been good and they seem simple to use.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Edward Cullen » 18 Nov 2017, 2:18 pm

Let buy a whetstone. It's good for your otf knife.
Edward Cullen
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation