boats are a money pit

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

boats are a money pit

Post by marksman » 17 Oct 2017, 1:26 pm

just wanting to share with you that some of you are very right that owning a boat is a "hole in the water to throw money into" :lol: :lol:
I feel like after a previous post about catching fish a mozz was put on my boat when some said the definition of a boat was
"a hole in the water to throw money into" :lol: :sarcasm:
since that statement, I was running my outboard to flush it and cleaning up the front end of the cabin so some arsehole walking past thought it was a good idea to walk into my yard and turn the tap off, luckily I turned the motor off, got out of the boat and saw the hose wasn't connected so I connected it thinking I would start the outboard again and run water through it to cool it down but there was no pressure at the hose so I had a look at the tap and it was off, nobody else was home so it had to be someone off the street ( I have in the past had lezzo looking city folk do-gooders go past and let me know how much water I am wasting)
so anyway I turn on the water, turn the key to start and the over heating alarm goes off so I just left it till the next day to cool down, I pulled the leg off changed the water pump housing, impeller, water pump base and the oil, just over $400 in parts now yesterday I took the boat down to st lenards and what a day, just like queensland beautiful and the farken motor wont start, although I've had it running the day before and no problems, battery has died, so $300 more
I have my fingers crossed at the moment, but yea boats are a hole in the water to throw money into :lol: :lol: :lol:
now I have to get out there and catch some fish to make my wife see why its worth the expense :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Re: boats are a money pit

Post by Grizzle » 17 Oct 2017, 1:47 pm

How true. Last outing with mine - Broken transducer for depth sounder - Bait tank pump decides it won't play the game.
Can't wait for the cost of parts on these - NOT!
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

marksman wrote:just wanting to share with you that some of you are very right that owning a boat is a "hole in the water to throw money into" :lol: :lol:

I've never understood recreational boat ownership.
You see a boat parked in somebody's driveway week after week, and it maybe disappears for one weekend a year before it's back again. Caravans are the same, although two of my neighbours in Perth spent more time travelling in theirs than they spent at home.
Why wouldn't you just hire a boat for that trip rather than leave all that money decomposing in your yard?
I just figured there must be some huge tax advantage that nobody told me about ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Grizzle » 17 Oct 2017, 1:54 pm

True, many boat owners use their boats, I have mates who "MIGHT" take theirs out once or twice a year. Not sure about marksman, but mine , over the two years if had this one, has seen many waterways from Northern NSW to far east gipplsland, I think it gets withdrawal symptoms if not out at least once a month. The good thing is, a lot of places I go, the rifles get to tag along as well, so everyone is happy.
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 17 Oct 2017, 2:03 pm

Yeah Marksman i'm hearing ya mate but tell me what hobby isn't like that these days
I've been a spearie since I was 13 yr old we've always made our own spear guns although I wouldn't like to buy one today :o
Also it doesn't stop at the boat mate it's then rego ,insurance, fishing lines ,sinkers , hooks , fuel and the list goes on :crazy:
But mate if you are anything like me if I wasn't wasting it on a boat i'd probably waste it somewhere else :thumbsup:
And mate the sad feeling of paying all that money out goes away when you land the first big ones it then becomes all worth while :clap: :D :D

Cheers
grandadbushy
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2017, 3:20 pm

Boat actually stand for Bust Out Another Thousand!
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by marksman » 17 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah Marksman i'm hearing ya mate but tell me what hobby isn't like that these days
I've been a spearie since I was 13 yr old we've always made our own spear guns although I wouldn't like to buy one today :o
Also it doesn't stop at the boat mate it's then rego ,insurance, fishing lines ,sinkers , hooks , fuel and the list goes on :crazy:
But mate if you are anything like me if I wasn't wasting it on a boat i'd probably waste it somewhere else :thumbsup:
And mate the sad feeling of paying all that money out goes away when you land the first big ones it then becomes all worth while :clap: :D :D

Cheers

you are dead right there grandadbushy, land a few big ones and you soon forget :thumbsup:

I understand fisho's are in a busy world who don't get the opportunity to get out as much as they like, a lot of the time the tides and weather don't favour fishing as well as having family commitments but when the season is on I may be out 2-3 times a week and I don't have a problem taking others out who help pay there way, boat fishing is great but can be costly especially if you have lezzo looking city folk do-gooders in the neighbourhood :lol: :lol: :lol:
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Oct 2017, 3:31 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Boat actually stand for Bust Out Another Thousand!

bigfella your going to mozz me :lol: :lol:
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Oct 2017, 3:36 pm

Boat ... a hole in the water where you throw your money is not exactly sarcasm.... that's the real deal.

They also say , if its got tits or propellers then it's nothing but trouble.

But where else can you build a machine that's all noise, loads of power and legal to drive in public places without speed restrictions.

Boats are great.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 17 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

Two times you are truly happy with boat ownership.

The day you buy it.

The day you sell it ;)
Supaduke
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 17 Oct 2017, 5:21 pm

Crikey Marksman nice snapper ''I presume it is a snapper'' :clap:
And that poor old shark he looks like me the last time I went for a dive hadn't been for awhile
Came up from shooting a good cod and lay on top of the water sucking in oxygen felt like i'd just run a marathon
At 63 I think I might leave it to my sons now and enjoy watching them pay my way for a change :thumbsup:

By the way nice boat

Cheers
grandadbushy
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by Rikta » 17 Oct 2017, 5:50 pm

yep for as often as i go out in one im happy to just tag along with others
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 17 Oct 2017, 6:27 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Boat ... a hole in the water where you throw your money is not exactly sarcasm.... that's the real deal.

They also say , if its got tits or propellers then it's nothing but trouble.

But where else can you build a machine that's all noise, loads of power and legal to drive in public places without speed restrictions.

Boats are great.

Tits propellers and WHEELS can't forget wheels!!! Those moments that ya can't get anywhere else make it all worthwhile!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

Yep, family, weather tides, work, shooting and the caravan. They all work against you.
I have a tinny and rekon it's good enough. The bigger they are the more out ragious the cost.

You always have to consider the use you will get, that's why I don't spend thousands on firearms either.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 17 Oct 2017, 8:25 pm

Boat owners cheer twice :clap: once when you brought it..... :lol: ....and once when you sold it...

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Oct 2017, 8:27 pm

Bwaahhhh ha ha ha. A bunch of guys that burn dollar bills by stuffing them into small canisters and then blasting them out of round pipes on a regular basis for fun are calling a boat a money pit. the old saying..... "your black" said the raven to the crow..... comes to mind
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 17 Oct 2017, 9:24 pm

My old man worked on a boat, had 2 bars, Gym, Pool, Movie room, Sauna and poker machines. His idea of fishing involved a deck crane, 44 gallon drum, length of chain and a 4 barb hook baited with cow livers. He caught some massive sharks with that rig and the best part was that his fishing was sponsored by Caltex :) Dad did 38 years as a marine engineer and today marks 9 years since his passing.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

went out for an hour last night, starting to forget the cost already ;) :drinks:
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation