Enough Gun Gay Mardi Gras Float?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Forum meet up, camp n plink. Who's keen?

Post by JimmyS » 07 Nov 2017, 12:35 pm

Supaduke wrote:A larger group mainly focused on plinking would be much better on private land or the range. Not trying to be a killjoy, just trying to think about the practical points of large groups blasting away in the forest.

Agree with this.

Dunno how happy a ranger would be if he came by a group of gents shootin it off in the bush, mind you, I think it's a cracker of an idea, but as above, I reckon it probably would be better to organise it at a range, or better yet, on private land if possible, It'd be a lot more laid back, and we wouldn't have to be under the scrutiny of an RO and closing times etc etc.

The more freedom, the better.
Winchester 1892 Sioux Commemorative (30-30)
CZ 527 Lux (.223)
1942 SMLE Mk III (.303)
Zastava M70 (.308)
Too much .30 cal? I think not!
JimmyS
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Nov 2017, 3:30 pm

bentaz wrote:I have private properties but I'm pretty reluctant to invite a bunch of randoms out there without meeting them first, some of you guys could be lunatics!

I tend to agree. But 12 blokes shooting up the bush it sure to attract the crabs. So IMHO private property is the go.

This is just a suggestion. Ben you have already met a few blokes on this forum right? And most of those are I hope sensible.

So ask them if they can recommend the others they met have met or know we'll. A sort of by invite only system. Or like applying for a job, you need a referee. Would that work for you?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 07 Nov 2017, 3:36 pm

JimmyS wrote:...Dunno how happy a ranger would be if he came by a group of gents shootin it off in the bush, mind you.

I've got a pretty good idea of how happy the ranger would be. I've got an even better idea how it would be written up in the Daily Terror....
Archie
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 07 Nov 2017, 3:51 pm

Damn, Victoria is sooo far away :(
Would love to go but too far im afraid
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm

bentaz wrote:I have private properties but I'm pretty reluctant to invite a bunch of randoms out there without meeting them first, some of you guys could be lunatics!

Let me just say, I'm no more a lunatic then anyone else here except maybe Oldbloke.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm

I haven't met Brett so can't recommend him. Anyway he is all talk. Sydney is a long way off.

PS. Brett is right again, I'm a lunatic, cause I'm married. Like him. :violin:
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 07 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm

Sacrifice a few virgins to the dark overlord and suddenly you're a lunatic..... ...sheesh.
Supaduke
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 07 Nov 2017, 4:36 pm

If somewhere within a couple hours drive of Melb, I'll come along and say g'day.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 07 Nov 2017, 4:51 pm

Guns and randoms, my favorite :lol:

In all seriousness you guys have perfectly valid points, but ( in my opinion ) it's no where near fair to ask anyone to host this on their own private property, but i also didn't think we'd get so many blokes keen, having been to some blokes birthday a few months ago i know what 30 blokes blasting away sounds like, that kind of noise will attract the bush po po in no time

Sounds like a few guys have some range contacts, if thats a viable option it may be worth exploring, but i'm all ears, the alternatives i see are little river ( yawn ) or camping... without guns :silent:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Captain
Captain

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 07 Nov 2017, 6:09 pm

AusTac wrote: or camping... without guns

Huh? Is that actually a thing that people do?
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by SomeoneElse » 07 Nov 2017, 6:13 pm

I'm interested in principle. As a hunter-only shooter who has moved too far away from my usual hunting grounds I'd appreciate some guidance re hunting in state forests. There's a handful of legal questions regarding state forest hunting which I just can't seem to figure out.

Re "stranger danger", I'd feel more comfortable meeting with a small group of forum regulars, maybe half a dozen at the most. Too many could draw unwanted attention. Too few conjures up thoughts of "two men entered a forrest, one man left", like that "deer hunting incident" earlier this year in S.A. I think a good balance is where a collective who can vouch for each other outnumber less-known folk like myself.

If people are planning locations/times just remember that posts on forum threads are publicly visible without requiring a forum account. That's a great way for trouble makers (of any persuasion) to make trouble.

Here's a suggested approach:
- Forum regulars nominate a location. By doing so, they are also putting up their hand to coordinate a get together for that location. (No specific dates or camping sites in the forum post - just general forest name.)
- People express their interest in meeting at one of the suggested locations, either via the forum post or PM.
- Once there is sufficient interest in a location, the organiser privately coordinates a date with those interested. Maybe the best way to do this is for the organiser to PM people with a start/end window of dates. Interested folk respond with the dates they can NOT make. The organiser uses the responses to figure out which dates works best for the group, makes a decision, and lets people know via PM.
- The organiser sends out a list of forum names to those who can make the common date. This allows members some time to make their own character decision of others based on their online posts, and decide whether they still want to go.
- Once the get together is over, the organiser might want to post a little wrap-up on the original "call for interest" post, to avoid disappointment for late comers and thread zombies.

I'm starting to sound like a school teacher. This whole "meet people via the internet" thing can be precarious at the best of times. I'll shut up for a while now.

SomeoneElse
SomeoneElse
Private
Private

-

Post by Supaduke » 07 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

Hence meeting at a public range first for a meet and greet. Then there is no real time limit obligation and it doesn't matter who reads it on a forum.

Give people a chance to talk and interact, then at a later stage camping trips etc. could be sorted.

Without it sounding gay or creepy it's sort of like a first date.

You meet somewhere public and casual , no overt time commitment. Give people a chance to speak to each other and make a call on whether they are weird or not. No issues with legality, plenty of space to shoot. Shrug.

And if people don't actually show up it's no big deal. You're already at the range and can have a shoot. No waiting in the middle of nowhere for no shows and late comers. Not to mention the real world headf$#k of trying to guide multiple strangers to a random spot in the bush.

A range is easy. We will be there on this day from 10am, come if you want to.
Supaduke
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 07 Nov 2017, 6:50 pm

Above post seems a lot more logical, when I think about it, and actually use my brain (a rare thing) someone might not be too happy about a bunch of randoms firing away their 303's ;)

I believe a range catch up would be a little more realistic, possibly little river? Seems like the most logical rendezvous, logistically.
I'd also say a Saturday would be a better day, as most people don't work weekends, and it tends to be a ****** quieter on Sat than a Sun.
I'd just go along the lines of "We will be at the range at this time on this day, come say g'day.
Maybe the cafeteria on Little River is a good place to congregate?
Winchester 1892 Sioux Commemorative (30-30)
CZ 527 Lux (.223)
1942 SMLE Mk III (.303)
Zastava M70 (.308)
Too much .30 cal? I think not!
JimmyS
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by sungazer » 07 Nov 2017, 7:12 pm

I think the expectations of the group are required to be gauged first. What ranges would people like to shoot. What size guns would people like to shoot? Do they wish to shoot Paper targets that can be taken home? or What sort of targets?

I ask as for a range these are all question that need answers on how to set up and manage a range with Safety at the upmost. Again a range is accepting a lot of Visitors for a single day that would require a fair bit of work to supply. Would just one distance be shot at a time or are multiple distances wanted to be shot at the same time.

There may be a way to do two different ranges on different days offering different distances.
sungazer
Major
Major

Other

Post by darwindingo » 07 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

Supaduke wrote:Hence meeting at a public range first for a meet and greet. Then there is no real time limit obligation and it doesn't matter who reads it on a forum.

Give people a chance to talk and interact, then at a later stage camping trips etc. could be sorted.

Without it sounding gay or creepy it's sort of like a first date...

Less fear of pack rape..Only have to worry about "first date" date rape. :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though if a number of (untested) shooters are going to venture out bush shooting together, then I would suggest that prior to any shooting all those attending should engage in a structured discussion on the safety rules and procedures of the trip so that everyone is on the same page.. It couldn't hurt to allocate a couple of safety officers either and or perhaps a policy of presenting your firearm to another to confirm it as clear prior to leaving the firing line...

Don't mean to sound like the safety nerd but when I go out hunting with others we always do the things I mentioned as we all want to get home safe.. :thumbsup:

Just suggestions..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sungazer » 07 Nov 2017, 7:43 pm

There are only a few shooting days left this year. For a first get together I would suggest the SSAA Range at Shepparton. It looks like they have done a lot of work since I was there last so not sure of the Set up. Last time I went there 300 was the longest, Nobody really used as it too too long to walk down there to set up a target/ reset ect I was doing 200 without any problem and there are 100, 50 and even a 25 range.

This is similar to a shooting gallery where you do your own thing looking after targets ect during a cease fire. If that works OK I am sure I could get on other ranges slight closer to Melb out to 600yrds possibly more. Different type of course of fire may be in place to assure Safety.
sungazer
Major
Major

Other

Post by Kenny » 07 Nov 2017, 8:54 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
AusTac wrote: or camping... without guns

Huh? Is that actually a thing that people do?

..lol :)
Kenny
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SHANAKATAK » 07 Nov 2017, 9:39 pm

I think an initial range range meet up would be better, especially for larger groups.
AFAIK you aren't meant to target shoot in state forests, it wouldn't reflect well on us shooters if 30 blokes went and tore up a patch with bullet holes. Considering Wombat is on the chopping block with the great forest close up, or whatever the greenies are calling it now.
SHANAKATAK
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation