Enough Gun Gay Mardi Gras Float?

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Forum meet up, camp n plink. Who's keen?

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2017, 6:47 pm

juststarting wrote:Can't see how shooting at those distances could be fun. I mean, sure, it's a nice range day shooting groups, don't know about the rest, but when I do that, that's me time. No people allowed. It won't be fun with a crowd, all sitting there at benches, punching holes in paper... Meh. Busting clays, cans and full softdrink bottles with iron sights is where it's at :)

What your talking about is private property or a state forest. I really don't think any range is going to let you have free run of the place shooting whatever s**t you want to.

To find out what people wanted was the point of my post as it does really direct you to the type of space your after.
sungazer
Major
Major

Other

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm

Sorry boss, I can't come to work, my arm will be in a sling........
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 08 Nov 2017, 9:04 pm

I'll start the conversation with the Mildura LRSC, I'm a member so it's not like I'm an outsider. Might be a nominal cost involved by way of range fees and ill see if I can get a RO to volunteer or if I can be the RO for the weekend. Might be worth checking if there's any forests around the area, nothing saying we cant hit the range one day and the forest the next. Possibly something near the river for camping and maybe a little fishing? I'm more looking forward to the social aspect, putting names to faces, learning from others and no wife for a few days :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Nov 2017, 9:24 pm

Most of what used to be state forest and huntable along that stretch of the Murray got converted into NP a few years ago. Pretty much all of the Darling River and anabranch is either private land or western lease land......

Lots of options for camping and fishing though
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Kenny » 08 Nov 2017, 9:28 pm

I'd be keen to make the trip up..
Next 2 months are out as on crutches...
But def keen...
Kenny
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Nov 2017, 6:10 am

TBH, Mildura is a long way from Melbourne which is where most live. There must be a range closer. Bendigo, Stawell, Ararat, ?. Just suggesting.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 09 Nov 2017, 10:04 am

Oldbloke wrote:TBH, Mildura is a long way from Melbourne which is where most live. There must be a range closer. Bendigo, Stawell, Ararat, ?. Just suggesting.

Is Warracknabeal better? I don't know the guys there but it's a tourist friendly town. If we can get a big enough group then maybe make a competition of it with novelty type events. Does anyone reside in the central Vic region? Somewhere with a range in reasonable proximity to a state forest?
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 09 Nov 2017, 12:10 pm

Same here. Probably bring a plinker or two, not the usual arsenal, but meet and greet would be fantastic.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Nov 2017, 3:14 pm

Two things in favour of a location further out:
- just as far for all participants to travel
- a long drive will deter crazy trouble makers and casual sticky beaks
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 09 Nov 2017, 4:29 pm

Gwion wrote:Two things in favour of a location further out:

Mate - I’ve bumped into screeching ****** in the middle of nowhere.
southeast varmiter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Nov 2017, 6:35 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:

Mate - I’ve bumped into screeching ****** in the middle of nowhere.

Can't see random crazies driving hours to turn up to Mildura Rifle Range...
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

- just as far for all participants to travel. Not correct, depends when you live and location of the camp.

- a long drive will deter crazy trouble makers and casual sticky beaks. Yes, I'm sure your right there.

But a 5 or 6 hour drive is a very long way to have a beer and a pink for a weekend. IMO.

Warraknabeal would be about 2 hours closer to Melbourne.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by simmo » 09 Nov 2017, 10:43 pm

I don’t comment enough to constitute as overly regular compared to you fellas but if you found a long weekend you would make a longer drive more worthwhile. Possibly the Australia Day weekend in January?

Just a thought
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

simmo wrote:I don’t comment enough to constitute as overly regular compared to you fellas but if you found a long weekend you would make a longer drive more worthwhile. Possibly the Australia Day weekend in January?

Just a thought

Good idea but wives generally appropriate that day to insist on "Family Time", cleaning up something or planning something to deliberately spoil the fun :allegedly:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Nov 2017, 11:04 pm

bentaz wrote:Warrak is probably closer for most people but I don't mind road tripping to mildura.
Like you I'm keen to have a beer with you blokes, not so fussed about the plinking although I'd never knock back a crack at your flinch master or any other big banga! But being able to camp and have a yarn and a coldy would be my priority's

I'll start making some calls tomorrow and report back what I find out. Paul in Mildura is a mate and the LRSC club president so hopefully it's an easy sell and he can point me to the right person in Warracknabeal to talk to as well. We may end up with 1, 2 or 0 places to choose from so fingers crossed. I will also ask about what costs might be involved as there may be range fess or some nominal payment for use of facilities involved.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 10 Nov 2017, 8:35 am

I'd be in for this :)
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 10 Nov 2017, 9:52 am

This sounds like a great idea. I'm definitely interested.
Si vis pacem para bellum-"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Gun-nut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SHANAKATAK » 10 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

Seeing I've finished up uni for the year, I've got plenty of time to organise a little river day for anyone interested.
SHANAKATAK
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation