Outdoor cooking accessories

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Outdoor cooking accessories

Post by tucked » 09 Nov 2017, 3:16 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on outdoor cooking equipment for camping.

I basically have a random collection of bits that have made it into the kit over time and half of it's dented or rusted or whatever. I reckon it's time to bin the lot and start fresh with some good kit.

I went to Anaconda today but all their stuff seems to be focused around hiking and ultra light stuff.

Other suggestions on things to look at?

I'm not worried about size, just want something quality and sturdy that'll do a decent meal for a handful of people.
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Outdoor cooking accessories

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Nov 2017, 5:29 pm

I just use pots and pans and utensils that are no longer required in the kitchen and also have some cast iron gear specifically for camping.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm

Same as Bigfella here...

With the exception i carry a jetboil...sits right next to the fridge in the back of the car...
If i want a quick cuppa, boil/heat small amount of water/food quickly its right there & takes up stuff all room-it packs away into the cup.

Also might use it for rice while me stew or curry is heating over the fire/bbq.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Nov 2017, 6:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I just use pots and pans and utensils that are no longer required in the kitchen and also have some cast iron gear specifically for camping.

Yep same here. Vinnie's is a good source too. Also use this, a single burner, just screws onto a 2kg LPG bottle. Cheap as chips and must be 30 years old.
Attachments
IMG_20171109_192726.jpg
IMG_20171109_192726.jpg (382.83 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Nov 2017, 8:16 pm

Gday tucked if ya not worried about weight etc I can recommend an ozspit . I bought one a couple of years ago and when ya put the rifles away and have a coldie watching a piece of meat spit roasting on a nice fire. ... Can't be beat!!!! :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 10 Nov 2017, 12:27 am

i use dutch ovens and what ever works if you dont have to carry it you can have some fun'
i have several camp stoves and lantern one of the few good things about yard sales around me seem like they are selling off some ones older stuff thats passed away
i buy it for a couple dollers older camping gear and hunting gear is well made i clean it up and gift it to some one that will have fun with it.
my brother inlaw is a scout master i offer a lot of it to him fist.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by darwindingo » 10 Nov 2017, 1:47 am

I usually use a combination of old kitchen gear and cast iron camp ovens/pans myself.. Salvos, Vinnies and Garage sales are well worth a look for this stuff...
Honestly you can cook just about anything in a camp oven.. :thumbsup:

However I will say that my missus can cook an unbelievable meal using nothing but a roll of aluminum foil, or a bunch of banana or pandanus leaves or even some paperbark right over the coals.. :D Point is you really don't need nothing fancy to cook some good grub.... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Wes » 15 Nov 2017, 3:47 pm

Cast iron fry pan, a chainsaw, and a tree ;)
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2017, 5:51 pm

Went fishing for a few days last week and all we had to cook on was a BBQ plate and rocks for the fish to be cooked on, no plates, knives or forks, just bread rolls and paper towel to clean our hands etc, simple but effective.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 Nov 2017, 7:04 pm

I have a Solo Titan stove, very efficient uses wood gasification for secondary burn creating good heat not much smoke.

https://www.solostove.com/backpacking-stoves

My interest in wood gasification started with a friends Waltherm Zebru fireplace, probably the most efficient fireplace on the market, this video will give you a clear picture of the secondary burn with combustible gasses by adding air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttCwIrNzM4
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2017, 7:21 pm

The wood heater looks interesting, not sure about only 5hrs burn time however, my ol Lopi is good for around 10hrs with half decent wood.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 Nov 2017, 7:40 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The wood heater looks interesting, not sure about only 5hrs burn time however, my ol Lopi is good for around 10hrs with half decent wood.

The burn time is ok because it's also used for hot water and hydronic heating, it will heat a 600L storage tank from 45 Deg C to 60 Deg C in one hour.
Attachments
Akvaterm_Haus_s.gif
Akvaterm_Haus_s.gif (108.8 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2017, 8:26 pm

No doubt a very expensive setup, I just use a ducted setup near my wood heater which pumps warm air into the different rooms and can also be controlled in each room, cheap and simple.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 16 Nov 2017, 10:32 am

i also found a good knife like the swiss army knife or a case boy scout are nice in camp
Attachments
IMG_20171115_191439.jpg
IMG_20171115_191439.jpg (466.65 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Nov 2017, 3:15 pm

tucked wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on outdoor cooking equipment for camping.

I basically have a random collection of bits that have made it into the kit over time and half of it's dented or rusted or whatever. I reckon it's time to bin the lot and start fresh with some good kit.

I went to Anaconda today but all their stuff seems to be focused around hiking and ultra light stuff.

Other suggestions on things to look at?

I'm not worried about size, just want something quality and sturdy that'll do a decent meal for a handful of people.

OP shops are great.
If you are after heavg
If you are after heavy duty metal cooking stuff check out these locals
http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/products.php

I have one of their BBQ grills and its very high quality. Ive found that high spun steel is super easy to clean too.
Bigjobss

Post by Zarrs » 18 Nov 2017, 2:20 pm

I use a pocket rocket stove and a gas canister, I also use a solo stove. Solo stoves are god like they dont require just small branches and leaves, they dont even have to be dry.
I have a sea to summit pack as well that folds into what you, get two mugs bowl and plate and a 2lt pot and under the pot is a chopping board. Extremely light weight and really good I've had all these items for over a year no complaints.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation