Decent Rain Jacket

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Decent Rain Jacket

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 5:22 pm

There are a few different makes of drizabones getting around. They arnt made for warmth particularly but a lined one with a corduroy collar and cuffs I find is pretty warm it keeps all the wind out and is a good insulating layer not much more needed underneath a good flannel shirt perhaps over a T shirt and you will be warm.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Yipikaye » 06 May 2018, 5:26 pm

My dog has a drizabone it works really well. His head and tail are soaking wet but the middle of him is dry :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 5:31 pm

There are a few different types getting around in the material as well so it pays to have a look around first. I must admit its been a long time since I bought my last one and all this talk makes me think I should patch up mine give it a scrub down and rewaterproof. had it for 15+ years and never rewaterproofed still good.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigpete » 06 May 2018, 6:07 pm

Hell,the 3 different ones I've owned must have been really crap coz none of them could withstand 8 hours of standing in the rain pruning ! Plus they stiffened up when they got cold which provably doesn't seem that bad until you're already cold,wet,and tired.
Still like em though lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by zobster » 07 May 2018, 4:11 am

I've only had a military issued gortex shell, thus that's where I based my reference from.

Nothing is waterproof and breathable at the same time. Yes, the outer shell might be keeping the tropical "drizzle" off my back and head but my sweat had soaked me thoroughly. I would rather have something simple, poncho etc to keep the worst of the rain off and dry clothes to change into at camp.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 07 May 2018, 8:43 am

I was going to suggest garbage bags. I have used them when bushwalking heaps a big one can go over you and your pack. Very waterproof.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 20 May 2018, 8:47 am

Gwion wrote:They have a few fleece hoodies on sale for under and around the $100 mark. Good value for good gear.

Personally, my layer system is a merino thermal, light fleece jumper, light fleece jacket, softshell, rain layer. Plus a couple of beanies for around camp at night: one for when it get chilly and another to go ontop when it gets f***ing cold! Daytime is usually only 2, maybe 3 layers but night time can be 4. If it gets to the point i need the 5th layer i climb in my sleeping bag and read intead of watching the stars.

No fires allowed where i go hiking...

I love merino wool, Ive often been ok using a merino midlayer as a base and whacking a camo shirt right on top - worked well enough last week up in the high country and it had snowed overnight.
I keep one of these in my pack incase the weather turns
https://www.hunterselement.com.au/produ ... 1232463916
Bigjobss

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation