BRNO Mod 2 accuracy

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: BRNO Mod 2 accuracy

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

Thats pretty interesting and a good warning for the rest of us that dont do much cleaning of the old 22s. It certainly makes sense when it goes bang even if it not a very big bang there is still going to be carbon blown forward. Not all of that is going to be cleaned out by wax and the next bullet.

There really is nothing like measuring things to be able to then make decisions on. I really had this shown to me when the gunsmith used a set of bore dimension gauges. He used them in the muzzle end to find out how much needed to be taken off the barrel so he could recrown the barrel at the nominal bore dimension.
sungazer
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2019, 6:42 pm

So, I reckon this is about patch # 40. Still a bit to go. Throat is still tight.

patch 40.jpg
patch 40.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 253 times

Starting to wonder about never cleaning a 22lr?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 6:53 pm

You could think about a Nylon brush on a drill. If you dont have any bore paste type cleaners you can also use Autosol on a patch on top of a Nylon brush. Not my invention a common cleaning technique amongst the old boys.

You may have the black ring or doughnut just in front of the case near the throat common in CF a carbon deposit that can build up to critical levels if not constantly kept on top of it. once you know about it you just clean in that area a bit more each clean and it never gets started.

Just think how she will shoot one it is clean and of course re fouled. That part always does my head in. I clean the barrel as spotless as I can then it needs 2-3 shots to get back to perfect consistency.
sungazer
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Other

Post by in2anity » 04 Oct 2019, 7:20 pm

It’s dumb not cleaning a 22. There, I said it. :silent:
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2019, 7:47 pm

sungazer wrote:You could think about a Nylon brush on a drill. If you dont have any bore paste type cleaners you can also use Autosol on a patch on top of a Nylon brush. Not my invention a common cleaning technique amongst the old boys.

You may have the black ring or doughnut just in front of the case near the throat common in CF a carbon deposit that can build up to critical levels if not constantly kept on top of it. once you know about it you just clean in that area a bit more each clean and it never gets started.

Just think how she will shoot one it is clean and of course re fouled. That part always does my head in. I clean the barrel as spotless as I can then it needs 2-3 shots to get back to perfect consistency.

Yes, tight just a few mm into the barrel. But could be lead rather than carbon s**t.
The rest of the barrel feels good now.

Do u mean Autosol metal polish?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 8:49 pm

Yes thats the one a you put a patch around a nylon brush with a bit of Hoppes on the patch or whatever your cleaner is and a smear of the Autosol on the patch. You give the chamber end the first 6 inchs about 6 short 6 inch passes and then give the complete barrel about 3-4 full passes back and forward.

Like everything with cleaning you have to adjust the regime to suit what you have in the barrel.
sungazer
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2019, 3:20 pm

Well I did sungazers trick but used "silvo". As I already had it. Also used bronze brush with a drill at the throat.

Definately improved but still a bit tight at the throat for first 12 mm.

Floated the barrel using the bussiness card trick. Recrowned using 400 grit and oil.

Will hopefully report back in a few weeks with a better result.
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2019, 3:44 pm

Im no expert...obviously...but be careful with a bronze brush spinning around on a drill in the throat...id keep to back & forth directional movements myself...

I once de-leaded my brno & it took months...i even bought that lead removing cloth...but ultimately just back & forth with a stiff brush to rip it off & you'll eventually get there...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

Stix wrote:Im no expert...obviously...but be careful with a bronze brush spinning around on a drill in the throat...id keep to back & forth directional movements myself...

Yeh, thats what i did
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2019, 6:54 pm

autosol is a plant based compound not much different to JB bore clean paste, they will not hurt your bore
but when using it too often understand that the bore if it is too clean the projectile will act like tires on ice and not seal properly for a bit till the shine is covered in fowling
when using it to polish throats you should keep the polishing around the throat area
if you have built up a carbon ring at the throat a paste is IMHO the best way to get rid of it as well as a good soak with carby cleaner
marksman
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

So,,, thought i would follow up with the results of my tests using my 1977 Mod2 Bruno. To cut the mustard i purchased a new Bushnell 3-9×40 limited edition. The Tasco world class 2-7×30 must have been faulty from new as the amount of use it had was little indeed. It had become apparent the scope was probably causing part of the problem.

I tried about 10 types/brands of ammo. And tried floating the barrel using the business card trick.

In the end RWS Club come up trumps. In fact once i decided it was the best and shot a few groups is seemed to gradually improve. This is the last group i shot today with no change to the original bedding.

20191128_180244.jpg
20191128_180244.jpg (684.47 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Nov 2019, 8:08 pm

50m group OB?
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Nov 2019, 8:11 pm

51 meters. In good calm condtions off the tailgate of the ute
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Nov 2019, 8:16 pm

So all said and done, did it live up to your expectations?
in2anity
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Nov 2019, 8:26 pm

Not really. I bought it in 78 expecting better.
This bruno is fussy, most ammo is lucky to get 55mm at 50 meters.
In the end i got what i wanted and i consider good groups , A 22 for head shooting bunnies. But ive spent perhaps $120 to $150 just testing ammo.

Edit for clarification.
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 02 Dec 2019, 8:55 pm

That group is sloppy, I'm sure with the right ammo they should all be touching
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Dec 2019, 9:26 am

Model 2's are usually quite accurate, here's a sample of what the one I bought for my 12 y/o son is capable of with him shooting it.
Groups shot at a club match, 50m from a home made benchrest and rear bag using Eley club ammo. Rifle is stock standard Model 2 made in 1983 without any modifications, it has a 6.5 - 20X Leupold scope mounted on it.
Brno Mod 2 groups (2).jpg
Brno Mod 2 groups (2).jpg (136.5 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Gamerancher
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Dec 2019, 12:41 pm

I've shot a few groups like that with my Brno Mod 2 but she only wears a 4x Jap Tasco so not really set up for shooting bug eyes (she's only used for hunting bunnies and she's more than capable of rolling those alright.
bigfellascott
General
General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles