Anschutz 1515/16 Purchase Advice

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Anschutz 1515/16 Purchase Advice

Post by Big Rodent » 10 Jan 2021, 3:30 pm

Hi:

I am interested in buying a secondhand 22 WMR for rabbit, wild cat / dog, fox and the occasional small pig shooting at my NSW property. I already have a 12 gauge and 22lr for closer in work and want the 22 WMR for 60 -100m shots. Due to the size of my property I am legally limited to rimfires / shotguns, given the vermin size I need to shoot, the distances that will be involved and as my property is located in a generally windy area, I chose the 22 WMR.

I am thinking of buying one of the following secondhand rifles in 22 WMR:
- Anschutz 1515/16
- CZ452
- CZ455

I have no particular preference, just one of these models in the $600 - $1500 range in very good / excellent condition with a decent scope included. I already have a CZ452 in 22lr and would be happy with another CZ, though I would be keen to try something different with the Anschutz.

I know a bit about CZs and know what to look for in a secondhand rifle. I don't know much about the Anschutz 1515/16 series. Can't find any reviews online or a lot of information. They seem to have only been sold in numbers in the UK, NZ and Australia (?).

From my research into the Anschutz 1515/16 I have found:
- 1515 has a Beachwood stock, the 1516 is walnut, other than that they are identical
- Manufactured from the 1950s to the mid 2010s, when it was replaced by the 1761 series
- Seems they like 22 WMR Hornsby V-max and CCI Gamepoint (advice from this site, if I get one I will experiment myself, starting with this ammunition)
- Seem to be sensitive to the tightness of the action screws (again from this site, if I get one I will experiment with the torque)

I was a bit worried about a lack of 22 WMR based on research online, however I visited my local dealer and they had plenty of ammunition choice, with 7 different types.

Can anybody add anything (or correct anything) to this information about the Anschutz 1515/16 series? Is there any issues I should be specifically looking at when buying a secondhand Anschutz 1515/16?

I have a secondhand rifle buying checklist and have downloaded the user manuals for each firearm.

Thanks

PS, based on my research and preference for European traditional style firearms, I am set on 22 WMR and my preference for CZ or Anschutz. I am not really looking for suggestions for 17 HMR rifles or other makes of firearms, thanks.
Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Anschutz 1515/16 Purchase Advice

Post by Bello » 12 Jan 2021, 9:06 am

Hi Mate
I have a Ruger 22WMR, not my favourite rifle. I don't use 22WMR for anything these days, but I understand your constraints and reasoning.
I have an Anschutz in 22LR 14/16 DHB, nice rifle, beautiful stock, nice smooth action.
It has the heavy barrel, shoots well. Well made.
I assume the 22 WMR is the same. I can't see you having any problems with this quality rifle.
I also have a CZ455 in 22LR, It's my work horse 22LR, works well, reliable, shoots well.
I think either rifle in 22WMR will serve you well.
Sorry I can't be more definitive on choice.
Good luck shopping :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Big Rodent » 12 Jan 2021, 2:55 pm

Thanks Bello, background info on similar models is always good.

I just noticed a Krico 320 came up for $500 with a decent scope. It is in NSW and not too far from me, price is right, however I don't know much about Krico at all. It wasn't on my radar at all. Reading on the Web and watching a video on USOG on YouTube (I like his channel, he has a beautiful collection of firearms) seems to indicate they are pretty good.

There don't seem to be a lot around, I would imagine spares and supportability might be an issue into the future. What are your thoughts?
Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2021, 4:17 pm

I am not a fan of the 22 Magnum, but that is not what you want to hear. Best information about Anschutz I have found is on Rimfire Central. This link should get you started.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... ?t=1136757
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 12 Jan 2021, 4:21 pm

If you already have a 22 rimfire then don't waste your money on a 22 WMR go to a real cartridge with a bit of range and knock down , say a .223 or 204 or even a 243 . Using a 22 magnum on dogs and pigs will result in a number of wounded and lost game if the ranges are longer . I had a 22 magnum some years ago ( pre rego ) and gave it away for nothing just to get rid of it .
If you run a farm you should be able to buy cheap 223 ammo from your local DPI . When you buy a tractor do you get one that has only half the horse power that you actually need ? I spent many years pest shooting on farms and stations and the 22 WMR is a handicap .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Big Rodent » 12 Jan 2021, 4:29 pm

SCJ429, thanks, have been looking at the rimfire forum, a lot of the info I have picked is from there.

Forum is I assume US based. There are plenty of posts about the 1400 series on the forum but not much about the 1500 series. 22 wmr is not as popular and I don't know whether it was imported into the US. Anyway I am assuming it doesn't differ much from the 1400 series 22lr versions.

I don't yet have my permit to acquire yet, so in no rush.
Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Big Rodent » 12 Jan 2021, 4:37 pm

JohnV, would love to buy a Howa 1500 or CZ527 in 223, however I would need a cat B licence, unfortunately my property is too small to get a cat B. I am a bit too close to town to safely use a centrefire.

In the future I might talk to the farmer next door about doing some shooting on his property and if he agrees, I can then get a cat b licence. At this stage however I just want to get the vermin sorted on my property. With the rain this year they have really started breeding!
Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2021, 5:34 pm

If I was buying one secondhand and it were possible, I would get the seller to shoot some groups in front of me to check the grouping ability of the rifle. Some WMR are woefully inaccurate and this may save you some grief.

I have a friend with an old Sako 222 who needs to shoot bunnies on his property where the neighbors are fairly close. He loads up some 40 grain ZMax with some Trailboss and they are as quite as any rimfire. They still knock the heads off the bunnies. He still has the option to shoot them at three times the speed of sound and put five rounds into the space of a five cent piece. If you can get the Cat B you would be laughing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 12 Jan 2021, 5:37 pm

Big Rodent wrote:JohnV, would love to buy a Howa 1500 or CZ527 in 223, however I would need a cat B licence, unfortunately my property is too small to get a cat B. I am a bit too close to town to safely use a centrefire.

In the future I might talk to the farmer next door about doing some shooting on his property and if he agrees, I can then get a cat b licence. At this stage however I just want to get the vermin sorted on my property. With the rain this year they have really started breeding!

Oh well that's different .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jan 2021, 7:54 pm

I have an Anschutz made in 1964, in .22LR. They are difficult to obtain information for, as serial numbers are not traceable as easily as some other stuff. Some internet reading will turn up lots of owners trying to identify specific model numbers etc.

I was trying to figure out how to adjust my trigger, which I found to be average. It has quite a bit of creep, which I am not used to with my centrefires. The options for triggers fitted to these rifles, and the variance in models had me beaten - I sent an email asking for help. I received a friendly reply, advising me that the trigger fitted to my rifle was specific to the Australian market, and could not be adjusted.

Not a good selling point in my opinion. Be aware of this if looking for one.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 12 Jan 2021, 8:37 pm

I have an Ansutchz 1515/1516 which I have had for over 40 years.

While I have plenty of .22 rimfire rifles and centrefires from hornet up, I still use the .22 magnum. The newer ammo has transformed the .22 mag with much better accuracy than before.

I recently tested all available ammo from 32gr to 50gr and the CCI Gamepoint (40gr) and the Hornady 32gr were the most accurate and gave me ammo suitable for heavier game and smaller stuff. Groups with these ammo is about 0.75 inch at 75m with many groups around 0.5"

My 1515/1516 is not really fussy about action screw torque with groups only changing slightly between settings. Ammo choice was more important.

The rifle is superb, cannot fault it and after 40 years it is still working as good as the day I bought it. And I used it as my "behind the seat" work rifle for 8 years on everything from rabbits to dogs and pigs. I recently carried it on a sling while working riding around on my quad bike all day for 5 weeks while chasing wild dogs.

I have a Kriko 22 Hornet which is about 38 years old. Great rifle although parts are not as readily available as for the Ansutchz (although I have never needed any).
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Big Rodent » 13 Jan 2021, 9:05 pm

GQshayne, it's amazing they would have a specific trigger just for Australia, don't really understand why they would. I think the trigger would be fine for me, my CZ452 has a bad rep for its trigger, I find it fine. I guess as I have never experienced a well tuned trigger I don't miss it.

Animal pest, thanks for the information. I will keep your advice re the ammo that works, if I get one. I would be very happy if I could achieve a 0.5" grouping at 75m!
Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jan 2021, 9:21 pm

Big Rodent wrote:GQshayne, it's amazing they would have a specific trigger just for Australia, don't really understand why they would. I think the trigger would be fine for me, my CZ452 has a bad rep for its trigger, I find it fine. I guess as I have never experienced a well tuned trigger I don't miss it.

Animal pest, thanks for the information. I will keep your advice re the ammo that works, if I get one. I would be very happy if I could achieve a 0.5" grouping at 75m!

I agree, I could not believe it. But I searched for all trigger options that were available, to try and match it up to my rifle. I was surprised at how many different options there were with models and triggers etc. But I could not find my trigger listed anywhere, so I sent an email to the factory, with photographs attached for them to look at. And that is what they told me.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 18 Jan 2021, 6:04 am

G'day Big Rodent,

I bought a used Anschutz 1515/1516 [.22 WMR] from Fisher Firearms in SA last year. Shooting Hornady V Max in 30 grain I have knocked over several foxes, a cat and 7 hares out to about 90 yards. I have a PARD 008 night vision scope on the rifle. Shooting off a bench with bags I had no trouble getting tight groups at 100 yards when zeroing the rifle. The best groups were just under one inch. It's a great rifle for walking and stalking and it doesn't make as much noise as my .222 Rem. rifles.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2021, 8:50 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day Big Rodent,

. It's a great rifle for walking and stalking and it doesn't make as much noise as my .222 Rem. rifles.

Jim

The WMR shoot a 40 grain projectile at around 2000 fps where the 222 shoot it in excess of 3,600 fps so it will make more noise. If you want the same level of noise out of your 222, you can easily make up some reduced loads and obtain 2,000 fps or less if you want. The flexibility of the 222 or 223 to do what a rimfire can do and then throttle up to max speed, if you are a hand loader is what stops me taking a rimfire hunting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 18 Jan 2021, 11:13 am

SCJ429 wrote:I am not a fan of the 22 Magnum, but that is not what you want to hear. Best information about Anschutz I have found is on Rimfire Central. This link should get you started.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... ?t=1136757

Gott agree. I sold my 22mag and bought a 17hmr. Ammo price is pretty close, the 17 is a tad noisier, but it is a lot more accurate out to 100m and some beyond.
You have to buy what suits you and your budget.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 21 Jan 2021, 11:51 am

I remember using a late uncle's Anschutz 1516 30 years ago. He bought it new in the mid 70's and hardly used it. It had a plain stock with basket weave checkering and a double set trigger but unfortunately was not very accurate. I remember back then though the WMR was never regarded as an accurate round but I think it had a lot to do with the ammunition available at the time. From memory Winchester SuperX was about the only round you could get. There is no doubt ammunition quality has come a long way since then and there are a few choices now even with different projectile types. Fit, finish and machining tolerances have also improved greatly over the years.

With the rifles you have mentioned my choice would be the CZ455 purely because it will be the newest and probably the easiest to find. The CZ also has the ability to swap calibres so if you decide you want a .17 down the track you just need to buy a barrel and they are reasonably priced

Have you considered buying a new CZ457? A new 457 has a much better action than the previous CZ rifles and has a decent adjustable trigger, it still retains the same interchangeable barrel system as the 455. Cost wise you wouldn't have much left for a scope with a $1500 budget though as the rifle and rings will set you back about $1260. Another rifle to look out for is the Cogswell & Harrison as it is just a rebranded CZ455 in a more elegant stock.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Big Rodent » 08 Feb 2021, 6:31 pm

Thanks for the additional feedback everyone.

NTSOG, thanks for the advice.

Mattraff, definitely thought about the CZ457 as it offers I think some upgrades over the 455 model (better safety, shorter bolt throw, adjustable trigger), however I am a bit wary of buying a newish model until it is proven by some widespread use. Also as you say I couldn't buy the rifle and a decent scope with a $1500 budget I am also a bit strange in that if I buy second hand so it already has a few marks on it, hate having something that I am the first to scratch etc.

Anyway, I have been in contact with a dealer with two Anschutz 1516s in decent condition (great blueing, some scratches on the stock) in the $700 - $800 range. One has a crap scope on it but I could use the rings, the other has no scope. When I asked about the bores, they said they were pretty good with quite a lot of meat left. There is obviously wear, however they are 40 years old, so not unexpected. My understanding for say 22lr is if you can see wear, it has done a lot of work. Is this the same for 22 MAG?

I love the old school dark wood and metal look of these rifles generally however they don't come up much and having looked at sold examples on used guns, most have crappy scopes which I would need to change. I am wondering if it is too much of a risk and since second hand Anschutz 1516 / cz 452 / cz455 rarely come up as a complete package (nice condition with a good scope), unlike say 22lr where someone buys something, gets the scope and accessories for target shooting and then lose interest after a year or two and sell at a nice price. I wonder if I am better off splashing out on a CZ457 (despite my reservations) with a good scope as Mattraff suggests. Can't see having much change out of $1800 though.

Sorry bit of a ramble, after 6 weeks of looking I think I am going to have to compromise on something.
Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Big Rodent » 05 Mar 2021, 5:30 pm

For those that are interested, I ended up buying a Anschutz 1516 (1976) a few weeks ago. It came with a Japanese 4x32 Tasco in great condition. I am keeping the scope, but decided I wanted a bit higher power so I bought a second hand Nikon 2-7x32 Prostaff.

It was interesting swapping the scopes, those old Tascos are quite long but really light in comparison to the Nikon. I also bought a cheap bag and slip on Recoil Pad (to increase the length of pull) off ebay. I spent today setting it up. Cleaned and touched up the stock, cleaned and lubricated the action / barrel, fitted the Nikon 2-7x32 scope and sighted it in at 65 yards with 30 grain CCI. I plan over the next few days to try the other ammo I have and sight it to 100 yards.

Pretty happy all up, I achieved some great grouping at 65 yards, will see how it goes with more rounds and trying the 40 grain CCI game point. Photo below.

Big Rodent
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles