Winchester 250 .22LR lever repeater

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Winchester 250 .22LR lever repeater

Post by 2freeq » 11 Jun 2018, 12:56 pm

Can anyone tell me which license category the Winchester 250 .22LR lever repeater that holds 17 rounds would be??

I'm looking for my first rifle and have no idea whats what but do know i want to start with a .22LR and whilst looking online at a Marlin XT22LR i noticed the Winchester for sale.

Cheers
Paul.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Winchester 250

Post by Apollo » 11 Jun 2018, 1:25 pm

Category A as best I can tell.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... azines.pdf

Non detachable magazine = 1-unlimited rounds.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 11 Jun 2018, 1:34 pm

So it wont be classed as self loading rimfire as its a lever action... It will be my first firearm and id hate to buy it just to find out my A&B license wont cover it
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2018, 4:46 pm

2freeq wrote:So it wont be classed as self loading rimfire as its a lever action... It will be my first firearm and id hate to buy it just to find out my A&B license wont cover it

If you're buying it in NSW whomever is selling it can tell you for sure what category it is licenced under.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 11 Jun 2018, 4:54 pm

I have one. Category a.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 11 Jun 2018, 4:58 pm

deanp100 wrote:I have one. Category a.

What are your thoughts of it?
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 11 Jun 2018, 4:59 pm

2freeq wrote:So it wont be classed as self loading rimfire as its a lever action... It will be my first firearm and id hate to buy it just to find out my A&B license wont cover it

Self loading=semi auto :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 11 Jun 2018, 5:10 pm

2freeq wrote:

I will be honest. I like the look, along the lines of the mod 88 centrefire. It is very slick and fast and holds a lot. Mine shoots very well for a lever. It will do an inch at 50. But, the trigger is diabolical, and is known worldwide as a terrible trigger. The weight is so bad I often think it isn’t cocked. It is definitely a fast and furious trigger pull only. No gentle squeeze here.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 11 Jun 2018, 5:14 pm

deanp100 wrote:
2freeq wrote:

I will be honest. I like the look, along the lines of the mod 88 centrefire. It is very slick and fast and holds a lot. Mine shoots very well for a lever. It will do an inch at 50. But, the trigger is diabolical, and is known worldwide as a terrible trigger. The weight is so bad I often think it isn’t cocked. It is definitely a fast and furious trigger pull only. No gentle squeeze here.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if a heavy trigger will help or hinder a newbie learning trigger control. Maybe i should get the Marlin xt22 instead. Cheers mate.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 11 Jun 2018, 6:57 pm

The Marlin would probably be a better beginners gun. I think SSAA was using them as range rifles a few years ago.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 12 Jun 2018, 1:22 pm

Wombat wrote:The Marlin would probably be a better beginners gun. I think SSAA was using them as range rifles a few years ago.

Thanks for the advice mate. I went and brought a Marlin XT22 in black synthetic stock with stainless barrel and a 4-9x40 scope today. Now i just have to wait for the bloody cooling off periods so i can bring my new baby home.... The anticipation is killing me already!!!
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 5:34 pm

2freeq wrote: Not sure if a heavy trigger will help or hinder a newbie learning trigger control. Maybe i should get the Marlin xt22 instead. Cheers mate.

Hi 2freeq,
Just my opinion here...if new & learning a trigger, dont set it light mate.
The best thing you can do is learn a trigger thats not stupid heavy but certainly not light. 2lb -4lb is good in my opinion, & the higher/heavier end of that until you get real good at seeing results through your scope..

If you can release a 4lb trigger & not pull shots, you'll be a cracker & light years ahead of others with a light trigger when the time comes. :thumbsup:

Ive seen the odd "slick tacticool bloke" who start out with long range magnum outfits & get their triggers set to utterly stupid light weight & rekon they're gods gift after just a year or so of shooting...but put an accurate 22lr, or centrefire hunting rifle with 2lb trigger in their arms & they cant hit the side of a hay storage barn at 50 yds...& they couldnt feel the creep in the rusty ol' hinges of the out-house dunny door, let alone a 'standard' weight trigger...
All because with a really light trigger you do not learn the finesse of how to slowly & gently increase pressure--you'll just learn to pull untill it releases.

Among other things, a heavier trigger forces you to learn the straight back squeeze, gently increasing the pressure whilst maintaining your point of aim throughout the tension range required (for that & almost any reasonable trigger to that weight).

Again just my opinion...& no offence to 8oz & less trigger weilding magnum users.... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 12 Jun 2018, 7:13 pm

The Marlin has something like the Savage accutrigger, should be easy and safe for a beginner to use even if its set light. If they have chucked on a el cheapo scope that will probably be the limiting factor for accuracy, may be worth upgrading it in the future.
Best thing is to get plenty of practice with your new rifle and remember no one ever stops learning :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 12 Jun 2018, 7:38 pm

Stix wrote:Hi 2freeq,
Just my opinion here...if new & learning a trigger, dont set it light mate.
The best thing you can do is learn a trigger thats not stupid heavy but certainly not light. 2lb -4lb is good in my opinion, & the higher/heavier end of that until you get real good at seeing results through your scope..

Thanks for the tip.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 12 Jun 2018, 7:43 pm

Wombat wrote:The Marlin has something like the Savage accutrigger, should be easy and safe for a beginner to use even if its set light. If they have chucked on a el cheapo scope that will probably be the limiting factor for accuracy, may be worth upgrading it in the future.
Best thing is to get plenty of practice with your new rifle and remember no one ever stops learning :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, i'm not sure what scope is on it, i think i inspected it blind folded. I remember inspect the bore and checking the end of muzzle for wear or abuse and looked at scope and noticed it was a 4-9x40 but i didnt even look at the brand of it. Oh well, I wanted more than 9x magnification anyway so i might buy a new scope and put this one on my daughters .22 when she gets it. Been looking at a Mossberg 802 for her.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles