Whats this New Savage A22 latching repeater action?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Whats this New Savage A22 latching repeater action?

Post by Lou » 05 Jan 2019, 9:11 pm

i found that on cci standards it was getting good groupings at 50. , its also real quiet , quieter then the air rifles ive used. didnt have and subs to try out dam it . you can also go through he 10 rounds in 5 seconds . trigger finger to work the lever and middle finger to work the trigger
howa hcr 308
wetherby vangaurd 308
remington 783 223
chiappa 1892 357mag
ruger american 17hmr
savage a22r
adler 12g
Lou
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by rc42 » 26 Mar 2020, 1:09 pm

I picked up a stainless A22R on Tuesday, I have had a PTA at the dealer for a 22 lever action for the last two months waiting for delivery of a Browning BL-22 from the US. It was due in June but with the current crisis I don't think it will make it before the PTA expired so I chose from the 22 lever actions in the LGS as a pre-lockdown present. If I like the A22R I'll get a new PTA for the Browning, if not, I'll like for like swap it.

So far, it's a great little rifle, lightweight and reasonably finished and cycles with all ammo except CCI quiet (which I expected to not work) and can put bullets in the same hole at 25m. Feels odd to have the casing fly past your ear as you take each shot, with a bolt or typical lever you decide when the used case is ejected.

Trigger is heavy and not smooth at all, release point seems to vary so it's not for precision work but works well with a rapid pull and release. The bolt release leaver is also very heavy so you have to snatch at it rather then gently increasing pressure. You can actually use you middle finger for the trigger and index finger for the release and get into a rhythm to get a very high fire rate almost like a semi auto but certainly not as accurate because of the contorted hold.

Overall, I'm far more impressed with the A22R than I thought I would be, looks like it's a keeper
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 26 Mar 2020, 5:17 pm

Mine cycles quiets ok, maybe try again after a few hundred rounds?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 26 Mar 2020, 7:54 pm

rc42 wrote:I picked up a stainless A22R on Tuesday, I have had a PTA at the dealer for a 22 lever action for the last two months waiting for delivery of a Browning BL-22 from the US. It was due in June but with the current crisis I don't think it will make it before the PTA expired so I chose from the 22 lever actions in the LGS as a pre-lockdown present. If I like the A22R I'll get a new PTA for the Browning, if not, I'll like for like swap it.

So far, it's a great little rifle, lightweight and reasonably finished and cycles with all ammo except CCI quiet (which I expected to not work) and can put bullets in the same hole at 25m. Feels odd to have the casing fly past your ear as you take each shot, with a bolt or typical lever you decide when the used case is ejected.

Trigger is heavy and not smooth at all, release point seems to vary so it's not for precision work but works well with a rapid pull and release. The bolt release leaver is also very heavy so you have to snatch at it rather then gently increasing pressure. You can actually use you middle finger for the trigger and index finger for the release and get into a rhythm to get a very high fire rate almost like a semi auto but certainly not as accurate because of the contorted hold.

Overall, I'm far more impressed with the A22R than I thought I would be, looks like it's a keeper

I Bought my A22R pretty much as soon as they came out. The trigger was as you described, heavy and gritty. BUT... i read a rumor that Nioa was fixing them under warrantee. And, well they did! Still heavy, but half what it used to be and not as gritty. Get in touch with them, see if they can have a look at yours.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Mar 2020, 7:56 pm

rc42 wrote:I picked up a stainless A22R on Tuesday, I have had a PTA at the dealer for a 22 lever action for the last two months waiting for delivery of a Browning BL-22 from the US. It was due in June but with the current crisis I don't think it will make it before the PTA expired so I chose from the 22 lever actions in the LGS as a pre-lockdown present. If I like the A22R I'll get a new PTA for the Browning, if not, I'll like for like swap it.

Can you put a heavy rubber band around trigger guard along to the latch to help take up some initial pressure, so it’s slightly more consistent?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 26 Mar 2020, 8:37 pm

If you mean between the trigger guard and the release lever then probably not, it takes a large force to pull the lever back to release the bolt but the lever then has to go forward again and only has a weak spring to help it.

Inside the mechanism, it works like other levers and semi autos where the bolt moves back and pushes the hammer back too, however, on the A22R there is a ratchet on the top of the hammer that the bolt locks onto as it slides back over it, the release lever has to pull the hammer back even further to let the bolt disengage and be released forward and the hammer spring is (and has to be) quite strong.

I'm running a good amount of molybdenum disulfide assembly paste all around the inner workings of the bolt and trigger, that will smooth the metal to metal contact surfaces and make them really slippery as it runs in. After run-in I'll clean all of that out and switch over to graphite, the same treatment works wonders on bolt actions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 Mar 2020, 8:43 pm

Just double check that there is only one spring at the back of the trigger and only one spring that returns the latch mechanism back forward. my first one although they said it was modified it wasn't. I did some mods myself and it worked well then I exchanged the gun as the barrel had some bad tooling or manufacturing defects in it. it still shot well. The replacement looks much better and still shoots very well for a semi, semi.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bullzeye » 02 Jul 2022, 7:11 pm

Anyone been shooting the Savage A22R Repeater lately?

Interested to hear more about the lever release and how heavy/ hard it is to pull?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2022, 7:25 pm

I tried one in a shop a couple of years ago when they came out. The “lever” was pretty heavy if I recall right, and it was noisy as it cycled. They seem to have been reduced in price a fair bit since, I don’t think that they were overly popular.
Maybe check out the CZ with the thumb release, I think they might be a better rifle.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 02 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm

Yeh they don’t seem to get the best reviews. Ozzie did one here https://youtube.com/watch?v=9yPjlg1UBgo
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 02 Jul 2022, 8:30 pm

Been discontinued for a year or 2. Cz gone too.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 02 Jul 2022, 8:56 pm

The A22Rs were sold at very low prices at many dealers about a year ago, may have been a clearance as I haven't seen them in stores since then.

The release is very heavy and you do have to take your finger off the trigger to operate it so it's only just faster than a bolt action can be. Saying that, it is possible to operate with one finger on the release and another on the trigger which is faster still but it's awkward, difficult to be accurate and certainly nowhere near semi-auto speed.

The build quality is budget but OK, lots of plastic but enough weight and strength in the action and barrel, mine is now in an aluminium MDT chassis which I think looks better but it rarely comes out of the safe these days.

If you see one for the $500 or so that they were selling for new it's great value.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2022, 9:48 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Been discontinued for a year or 2. Cz gone too.

The CZ didn’t last long then.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jul 2022, 9:55 am

My dealer didn't even stock the A22 ... when I asked about it i was told they're POS
What a shame, I liked the concept.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 03 Jul 2022, 3:06 pm

It seems like a bit of a tease to be so close to a semi-auto but not.

What would the advantage of a repeater action be over a bolt action anyway? The speed of follow up shots, what else?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 03 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm

bullzeye wrote:It seems like a bit of a tease to be so close to a semi-auto but not.

What would the advantage of a repeater action be over a bolt action anyway? The speed of follow up shots, what else?

Pretty sure that’s just it. A bit of a gimmick for those who can’t get a cat c.
Personally I’d probably look at a straight pull such as the Browning T bolt or a PWS, or something similar.
Probably a bit slower than the lever release, but a bit faster than a conventional bolt action.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mountlowcustoms » 03 Jul 2022, 7:18 pm

I like mine, sure its a little gimmicky I guess, but it was cheap, shoots sub moa groups with cheapo ammo.
The lever release is a little heavy but not too bad,
Its a great little plinker.
Mountlowcustoms
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jul 2022, 7:27 pm

bullzeye wrote:What would the advantage of a repeater action be over a bolt action anyway? The speed of follow up shots, what else?

Faster target acquisition between shots by maintaining a sight picture while cycling much more easily than you would while cycling a bolt.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grumpy » 04 Jul 2022, 8:48 pm

I’ve had mine for over a year with no issues. Great for plinking. The release lever is a little heavy, but the missus & grand kid don’t have any issues using it. It did free up a bit after a few hundred rounds.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 05 Jul 2022, 8:17 am

I put down a deposit for a Ruger American Rimfire in early April and was told it should the first week in May. Still waiting.

I'm VERY close to cancelling and purchasing an A22R for $519 at another dealer.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 05 Jul 2022, 9:37 am

The cz515 was a derivative of the cz512. So when that one stopped the 515 had to go too.
Mines so much fun.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 05 Jul 2022, 4:25 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:I put down a deposit for a Ruger American Rimfire in early April and was told it should the first week in May. Still waiting.

The A22R is a 'lever action' for PTA purposes so you might as well submit a new PTA and get both rifles.
It's not a cheap hobby and you may not get your deposit back if you cancel an order.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 06 Jul 2022, 8:23 am

rc42 wrote:The A22R is a 'lever action' for PTA purposes so you might as well submit a new PTA and get both rifles.
It's not a cheap hobby and you may not get your deposit back if you cancel an order.

Yeah, the plan was to ask for a cash refund otherwise store credit.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Grumpy » 07 Jul 2022, 11:53 am

rc42 wrote:
likeimjohnwayne wrote:I put down a deposit for a Ruger American Rimfire in early April and was told it should the first week in May. Still waiting.

The A22R is a 'lever action' for PTA purposes so you might as well submit a new PTA and get both rifles.

In WA was classed as bolt action when I purchased mine. Not sure if different states licensing view it differently.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles