Puma 22lr review

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Puma 22lr review

Post by Jon79 » 16 Jun 2018, 5:15 pm

Bought one of these for the daughter a few weeks back and dead set I highly recommend them.... as a cricket bat or boat anchor!

Tried different ammo through it and it sprays the lot everywhere, went out to sight my new 308 in today and chucked the puma in too,

after I was finished with the 308 I put near 2 packets of ammo through the puma, it spread them high it spread them low it spread them to the right it spread them to the left..... one shot would be 5
inches high & 4 inches left and the next one 5 inches low and 5 inches right..... some where that far off I have no idea where they went :unknown:

I was shooting from 50 meters and you’d drill a round dead centre of the 8 inch high vis target then the next two rounds would clean miss.... there was no rhyme or reason to where it was throwing them and I was very tempted to leave it in the nearby creek
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Puma 22lr review

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2018, 5:38 pm

Sounds like a loose scope ring or stock bolt.

Or it could be they aren’t very good. Heard that they are a bit average accuracy wise but not as bad as what you are getting.
Member-Deleted

Post by deanp100 » 16 Jun 2018, 5:39 pm

Th3 good thing about that is too be that bad there must be something obvious wrong.it should be an easy fix.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 16 Jun 2018, 6:15 pm

G'day,

The Puma sounds a bit like the Hatsan 125 air rifle [.22] I bought in a weak moment some years ago. It was great for shooting around corners as the barrel was set pointing a few degrees off to one side at the pivot. I cut it up with my angle grinder. It was powerful though, …. powerful rubbish!

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 16 Jun 2018, 6:39 pm

Johno wrote:Sounds like a loose scope ring or stock bolt.

Yeah that’s what I thought the first time I took it out, brought it home took the 4x32 scope off and checked everything put a 3-9 x 40 scope it made sure everything was tight and it still sprays them everywhere..... reckon you’d be lucky to be able to gut shoot a rabbit at 50 meters
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Jun 2018, 7:27 pm

Does Puma=Rossi? My Rossi was a piece of junk.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 16 Jun 2018, 9:31 pm

It seem with the Pumas you either get one that shoots good or you get one that shoots side ways. I bought one as my first rifle and must have got lucky. It seems to be able to shoot almost through the same hole at 50m, apart from the odd flyer. I just bought a second one because I wanted one in a timber stock. Took it out the other day and it was just spraying everywhere. But maybe it just needs a few hundred rounds through it.

The first one use to spray bullets everywhere, either it improved after getting "broke in" or I just got better at shooting
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 9:58 pm

Jon79 wrote:Bought one of these for the daughter a few weeks back and dead set I highly recommend them.... as a cricket bat or boat anchor!

Tried different ammo through it and it sprays the lot everywhere, went out to sight my new 308 in today and chucked the puma in too,

after I was finished with the 308 I put near 2 packets of ammo through the puma, it spread them high it spread them low it spread them to the right it spread them to the left..... one shot would be 5
inches high & 4 inches left and the next one 5 inches low and 5 inches right..... some where that far off I have no idea where they went :unknown:

I was shooting from 50 meters and you’d drill a round dead centre of the 8 inch high vis target then the next two rounds would clean miss.... there was no rhyme or reason to where it was throwing them and I was very tempted to leave it in the nearby creek

Did you try a variety of ammunition?
My Rugers can shoot MoA to 100m, with the right ammo. Feed it CCI Copper-22 and it groups about 600mm at 100m, Winchester Long-Z groups about 300mm at 100m. CCI Quiet Segmented HP groups around 150mm at 100m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 10:04 pm

Hey jon79...
Ah mate... :thumbsdown:

Aat the same time as having a great deal of empathy for you, i just cant help but laugh-...you actually had me going on the first line...then the boat anchor thing cracked me up...!!

Im sorry mate, that's no good
It really sux...
Any chance it could be loose action screws, something obvious like a marble stuck in the barrel channel...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 16 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Does Puma=Rossi? My Rossi was a piece of junk.

Different Puma, these are the same as a JW-15 Chinese Brno knockoff.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 16 Jun 2018, 11:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Jon79 wrote:Bought one of these for the daughter a few weeks back and dead set I highly recommend them.... as a cricket bat or boat anchor!

Did you try a variety of ammunition?
My Rugers can shoot MoA to 100m, with the right ammo. Feed it CCI Copper-22 and it groups about 600mm at 100m, Winchester Long-Z groups about 300mm at 100m. CCI Quiet Segmented HP groups around 150mm at 100m.

yeah tried a few.... highland, federal, CCI all terrible.... have been told that Subsonics may work better in it so I might try them before I try it out as a boomerang
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 16 Jun 2018, 11:34 pm

Stix wrote:Hey jon79...
Any chance it could be loose action screws, something obvious like a marble stuck in the barrel channel...?

dunno….I one point I thought I might have been firing blanks at the target lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 17 Jun 2018, 6:59 am

Sounds like an upgrade is in order mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 17 Jun 2018, 10:40 am

JimTom wrote:Sounds like an upgrade is in order mate.

yep.....might trade it in for a slingshot :lol:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 17 Jun 2018, 11:32 am

Buy Henry .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sus_scrofa » 17 Jun 2018, 7:05 pm

Puma, Hunter 22lr is a Chinese Norinco JW15. Google em and how to get them to shoot, nz rimfire forum website has heaps of info on how to accuratize them like trigger jobs, floating & bedding that plastic stock, re- crowning the barrel, grinding and filing the bolt so it runs smoothe etc.. They are cheap crap but a mate accuratised his to shoot real good like his BRNO does. They do need work straight out of the box but thats why they cost $250 brand new..
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 17 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:Puma, Hunter 22lr is a Chinese Norinco JW15. Google em and how to get them to shoot, nz rimfire forum website has heaps of info on how to accuratize them like trigger jobs, floating & bedding that plastic stock, re- crowning the barrel, grinding and filing the bolt so it runs smoothe etc.. They are cheap crap but a mate accuratised his to shoot real good like his BRNO does. They do need work straight out of the box but thats why they cost $250 brand new..

yep did the bolt, also even tried putting a thin washer under the front screw to float the barrel just to see if it helped before doing anything drastic but still shot the same, only bought it as something cheap for the daughter to learn with but she's happy using the 223 although still wants to bring the puma cos its "her" gun....just cant hit the side of a barn with it lol

i'd get rid of it as its only taking up room in the safe but its not worth the hassle....maybe could just hand it in when the new amnesty kicks off :crazy:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jun 2018, 7:28 pm

There is every chance that Sus_scrofa has a point about crowning the barrel. Heard you can buy a tool but that's more money isn't it........................
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2018, 7:36 pm

Check out the topic below. Heckler seems to have worked out how to make them shoot.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6714
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 18 Jun 2018, 8:38 am

I wouldn't give up on it without trying some of the low or no cost fixes. Plenty of people have got them shooting ok or better.
It's not shaving bullets when chambering or anything simple like that is it?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Angel » 19 Jun 2018, 5:09 pm

I bought one of these as my New rifle> Whacked a cheap scope on it and it shoots great can get a pretty solid grouping. Mine hasn't missed a beat. Having said that. They are cheap but I haven't had any problems.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2018, 7:28 pm

Jon79 wrote:Bought one of these for the daughter a few weeks back and dead set I highly recommend them.... as a cricket bat or boat anchor.

I was very tempted to leave it in the nearby creek

Chuck it to me, chuck it to me. Looking like my grandson will soon be asking for a rifle. I’ll make it shoot.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Medic » 20 Jun 2018, 7:06 am

Strange, my norinco was a straight shooter!
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles