Tikka T1X MTR or Lithgow La101...

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Tikka T1X MTR or Lithgow La101...

Post by Bill » 26 Oct 2018, 8:27 pm

I've had my T1X 17hmr twice at the range and its growing on me, Ive never owned a Tikka before and frankly swore I'd never own 1, not sure if its the trigger or the 17hmr round but its a fun gun, do rate. Bought a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 RD 4C today , should geta run in the field shortly.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 27 Oct 2018, 7:51 am

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Oct 2018, 11:54 am

Why did you swear never to own one? Too much black plastic?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 27 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

Yeah tupperware stock and oversized action for small cases, plenty of bits on em have failed over the years. Still dont like the stock but it is what it is lol

i do like the weight, full size stock, trigger and mag. The Tikka is also 0.5kg lighter than the equivalent Lithgow 17hmr so easier to handle

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Oct 2018, 1:49 pm

I didn't like the look of them until a friend bought a T3 in 22/250 and it shot in the two. Great triggers and the best barrels of any factory rifle. I had to get a couple and now find it hard to take my other rifles out hunting. If your rimfire is half as good you will be very happy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 03 Dec 2018, 2:37 pm

Not far off crunch time when I can do down and shoulder a few. Seems like the 22lr T1X's are trickling in but I love the idea of buying an Aussie made Rifle.

Only a few more sleeps ^_^
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

Only the buyer, knowing their own financial situation can adjudge value... but one Q might be - How much is it worth to be able to take a rifle back if it’s not accurate or has an issue? Not so easy with a sh rifle if looking to save some $.
I have two .22’s - my latest, an older CZ with redfield scope cost me $500 and I wouldn’t swap it for the above brand new tikka...because I know it’s capabilities and idiosyncrasies...I want a reliable .22 that will hit a 5c piece at 50m and I’m not concerned about looks or fancy flare on what amounts to a simplistic bunny gun / plinker.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oatesy » 16 Dec 2018, 8:30 pm

I would shoulder them first, i found the t1x to feel really short and uncomfortable
Oatesy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by ClaytonT88 » 17 Dec 2018, 11:04 am

Yeah still going to go down and try as many as I can.....still waiting for my licence to come in the mail :(
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by lee_enfield223 » 23 Dec 2018, 4:23 pm

I have had both and had nothing but problems with the lithgow,but my t1x is perfect and it shoots more accurately than the lithgow and it feeds and ejects perfectly, and yet a friends lithgow works great, so I guess I got a dud 101
tikka m40 resize.jpg
tikka m40 resize.jpg (173.8 KiB) Viewed 7433 times
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 24 Dec 2018, 8:05 am

nice stock lee enfield, what brand ??

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 07 Jan 2019, 12:10 pm

I waited, and waited, AND WAITED for the T1X to come out before making the decision.
When the T1x FINALLY arrived at LGS , I was underwhelmed.
I am now the extremely happy owner of a LA101 in black..
Why ?- firstly the feel of the T1X .
It just feels light and cheap.
The plastic thread cap is cheap, the stock is cheap and when you give it a tap it sounds like if you drop it ( yipes!)
it would crack open. Having said all of this - I have not shot one to be fair ( T1X )
BUT - I got my Lithgow ( after a little arm twisting ) for under a thousand dollars.
I know how accurate they are - a couple of mates have them.
It felt- in my opinion at least - like it should have been $4-500 more !
great low maintenance cerakote, weaver bases, rifle weight and substance, and fit and finish of stock, lovely smooth action,
etc, etc.....
( I paid $70 more for a threaded LA101 22LR in black cerakote with synthetic stock than the T1X)
I have put approx. 600 rounds of various ammo through mine - It likes RWS in both HV & Sub,
and it also really likes federal premium.
I have only experienced a couple of minor feed issues.
The rifle groups beautifully- but I kinda knew it would.
In the end- these things always come down to choice- but I am annoyed with myself for procrastinating as I've just held up my
enjoyment of this great bit of kit by over twelve months.
One thing to consider - The Aussie dollar is s**t at the moment.
Thales ( Lithgow ) should do very, very well exporting Crossovers to Europe, US, etc when comparing to T1X in my opinion.
It also means for us that if a Tikka T1X is circa $900 here, then I am probably being a bit harsh because as they say,
you only get what you pay for !
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 07 Jan 2019, 6:52 pm

Tikka's are sub 900 and dont have feed issues like Lithgows.........

Glad your happy but the lithgow is just too heavy for my liking and probably better suited to range work where handling isnt an issue. LOL at cracked stocks, theyve been selling thousands without issue

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 07 Jan 2019, 8:58 pm

Fair enough Bill - I’m speaking figuratively about the stock- but have you had a close look and “ feel “ of one?
Reeks of good old “ Chineseium” and seems to be different material to the T3X.
Could just be my imagination.
Not $880 of my money hence the decision.
Anyhow all it is is my opinion-but I am very happy with my choice.
In the end that’s why there is so much choice, we all have different needs and expectations.
For the record I rate Tikka very highly.
I just wanted something a bit better for my $$$
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Jan 2019, 11:55 am

I take it you guys have seen this t1x 22lr review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSx2IWvGJSg
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 12:53 pm

in2anity wrote:I take it you guys have seen this t1x 22lr review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSx2IWvGJSg

I hadn't, thanks for that.
Tikker though :-)
It's a Teekah!

Picking up a Ruger Precision Rimfire in the morning.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 08 Jan 2019, 2:35 pm

Not exactly a glowing review. Seen plenty of Rugers shoot better than that at half the price.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 2:57 pm

Supaduke wrote:Not exactly a glowing review. Seen plenty of Rugers shoot better than that at half the price.

I wasn't impressed when he said he wasn't even going to bother shooting it out of the box until he changed the bedding - not much of a review for people that want to shoot the rifle as is :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 08 Jan 2019, 3:00 pm

Yeah , I found that odd. He did shoot it stock though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 3:03 pm

Supaduke wrote:Yeah , I found that odd. He did shoot it stock though.

Yes, luckily I stayed to watch even after he said that :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by byadbo boy » 08 Jan 2019, 4:41 pm

The issues will be the very high bar of expectations on Tikka / Sako products.
I must admit I judged the T1x just on feel and a visual evaluation of quality.
They will still sell thousands of them though because it’s a Tikka.
I had a bloke in a gunshop tell me “ please don’t take this the wrong way but they are better than your LA101”
When I quizzed him he had only shot 20 rounds through one.
He had kind of made his mind up through loyalty to Tikka me thinks!
Either way it’s entirely up to the person assessing -as in the end it’s their money. On balance of reviews though I think the “ usurper to the rim fire crown” marketing hype may be a bit rich.
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 08 Jan 2019, 8:29 pm

byadbo boy wrote:Fair enough Bill - I’m speaking figuratively about the stock- but have you had a close look and “ feel “ of one?
In the end that’s why there is so much choice, we all have different needs and expectations.

I have a 17hmr and its a cracka, its had atleast a thousand rounds, stock is the same as a T3x.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 10 Jan 2019, 8:08 am

Bill wrote:
byadbo boy wrote:Fair enough Bill - I’m speaking figuratively about the stock- but have you had a close look and “ feel “ of one?

I have a 17hmr and its a cracka, its had atleast a thousand rounds, stock is the same as a T3x.

Fair enough Bill - beauty is literally in the eye of the marksman when it comes to these things.
Sounds like you are very happy with it.
As I always say - parting with the hard earned for most of us comes after educated deliberation.
The T1x is definitely a lighter rifle - even more so in the 16".
I don't actually like that aspect as I am more a range and static plink type of shooter so I prefer a "solid,weighted
feel". If I was wandering around paddocks bunny busting though it would be a completely different story and I can definitely
see the major attraction in a 16" 22LR lightly scoped- It would be a great little outfit.
Its just I would maybe do that once a year and it wasn't for me.
I think maybe a few of the online reviews ( some of which aren't exactly glowing ) on T1x are a bit unfair as well.
A 22LR or 17HMR is NEVER going to be a T3X centrefire !
It's a big wrap to Tikka that maybe the expectations on this new release were somewhat unrealistic as a rimfire ,by nothing
other than basic engineering principles is ever going to need to be bedded in a stock or have the same mountings as a higher calibre centrefire.
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2019, 12:24 pm

I picked up the Ruger Precision Rimfire yesterday to see how it compares to my pair of Ruger American Rimfires in MDT chassis. I mounted the scope last night and my first impression is very good, it's a very neat little package. The extended magazine is annoying but I'm hoping it'll run the standard 10rd mags fine. Although the pistol grip is just an AR15 style like I have on my MDT's, it does for some reason fit my hand a little more comfortably. Considering the complete rifle is half the cost of building my MDT versions, I'm impressed. Have to go into town again today but I'm hoping to find time to put a few rounds through it today.

I particularly like the AR15-style safety as I've been wanting to put the same on my chassis rifles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 10 Jan 2019, 12:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:I picked up the Ruger Precision Rimfire yesterday to see how it compares to my pair of Ruger American Rimfires in MDT chassis. I mounted the scope last night and my first impression is very good, it's a very neat little package. The extended magazine is annoying but I'm hoping it'll run the standard 10rd mags fine. Although the pistol grip is just an AR15 style like I have on my MDT's, it does for some reason fit my hand a little more comfortably. Considering the complete rifle is half the cost of building my MDT versions, I'm impressed. Have to go into town again today but I'm hoping to find time to put a few rounds through it today.

I particularly like the AR15-style safety as I've been wanting to put the same on my chassis rifles.

My Ruger presicion rimfire didn't feed very well out of the 15 round mag. It is a bit of a sloppy fit. The standard 10 round works much better.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by byadbo boy » 11 Jan 2019, 8:26 am

bladeracer wrote:I picked up the Ruger Precision Rimfire yesterday to see how it compares to my pair of Ruger American Rimfires in MDT chassis. I mounted the scope last night and my first impression is very good, it's a very neat little package. The extended magazine is annoying but I'm hoping it'll run the standard 10rd mags fine. Although the pistol grip is just an AR15 style like I have on my MDT's, it does for some reason fit my hand a little more comfortably. Considering the complete rifle is half the cost of building my MDT versions, I'm impressed. Have to go into town again today but I'm hoping to find time to put a few rounds through it today.

Keep us up to speed on how it goes.
My young bloke has just got his permit and there is a birthday coming up.
There has been a lot of positive feedback on these .
The 15 round mag issues don't really bother me as we are in nanny state NSW and a fifteen round mag is just all too hard
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 11:32 am

Cooper wrote:My Ruger presicion rimfire didn't feed very well out of the 15 round mag. It is a bit of a sloppy fit. The standard 10 round works much better.

For an extra five rounds it adds a huge lump to the underside of the rifle, much more sensible to carry another 10rd mag.
The weird thing is, you can glue two 10rd mags base-to-base, and still be more compact than this thing :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 11:56 am

byadbo boy wrote:

Keep us up to speed on how it goes.
My young bloke has just got his permit and there is a birthday coming up.
There has been a lot of positive feedback on these .
The 15 round mag issues don't really bother me as we are in nanny state NSW and a fifteen round mag is just all too hard

Hopefully I can post about sorting it out and setting it up.
But I've picked up so many rifles recently I'm flat out just shooting them let alone trying to take photos or write about them!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2019, 1:37 pm

Yes mate it does seem like you have been busy lately. Enjoy getting them all set up and shooting mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by lee_enfield223 » 13 Jan 2019, 7:45 am

byadbo boy wrote:
Bill wrote:

Fair enough Bill - beauty is literally in the eye of the marksman when it comes to these things.
Sounds like you are very happy with it.
As I always say - parting with the hard earned for most of us comes after educated deliberation.
The T1x is definitely a lighter rifle - even more so in the 16".
I don't actually like that aspect as I am more a range and static plink type of shooter so I prefer a "solid,weighted
feel". If I was wandering around paddocks bunny busting though it would be a completely different story and I can definitely
see the major attraction in a 16" 22LR lightly scoped- It would be a great little outfit.
Its just I would maybe do that once a year and it wasn't for me.
I think maybe a few of the online reviews ( some of which aren't exactly glowing ) on T1x are a bit unfair as well.
A 22LR or 17HMR is NEVER going to be a T3X centrefire !
It's a big wrap to Tikka that maybe the expectations on this new release were somewhat unrealistic as a rimfire ,by nothing
other than basic engineering principles is ever going to need to be bedded in a stock or have the same mountings as a higher calibre centrefire.

I used to own a Lithgow 101 from new and was sorry I bought it, all it did was jam up all the time with all the magazine's I tried ,it went back to the shop three times, no one could fix the issues, ended up getting rid of it through a trade,the guy got it cheap!!! And only wanted it as a single shot, it felt great to hold,but that was it, anyway I went bact to my cz453 varmint, it just works perfectly all the time, but I also bought a t1x in 22lr and you know what ??? The dam thing feeds and rejects perfectly as well, plus it's more accurate than the Lithgow 101, the only thing I changed was the stock, to a bell and Carlson m40 varmint...
And yet a mate got VERY lucky and his 101 in 22lr just works and the t1x is a bit light in weight,that's why I bought the m40 stock for mine
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles