Cogswell & Harrison .22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Cogswell & Harrison .22lr

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Jul 2018, 12:38 pm

Currently kicking tyres thinking about a new .22.
I fired my old favourite, the 100+yo Model 04 yesterday for the first time in ages and the best we could manage was a 6in group at 25m :shock:

I saw one available in an English brand I've not heard of, Cogswell & Harrison, apparently made under licence in Czechoslovakia.
Anyone know anything about them, owned or used one?
At $899 it's ~$200 cheaper than my first preference which is the LA 101.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Cogswell & Harrison

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jul 2018, 1:00 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Currently kicking tyres thinking about a new .22.
I fired my old favourite, the 100+yo Model 04 yesterday for the first time in ages and the best we could manage was a 6in group at 25m :shock:

I saw one available in an English brand I've not heard of, Cogswell & Harrison, apparently made under licence in Czechoslovakia.

C & H is a VERY old company.
A little of their history here: - http://www.cogswellandharrison.com/?page_id=198
As to where their current line of firearms are made, I don't know but is most certainly NOT Czechoslovakia. There are now two country's known as the Czechia and Slovakia.
b.t.w., the town of Brno where other fine rifles were/are made is in Czechia. Maybe that is where C & H are having their new rifles made?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wolfsburg » 23 Jul 2018, 1:31 pm

My LGS has them, the barrelled action is a CZ 455, it has 'Made in Czechoslovakia' stamped on the barrel. The stock is a Cogswell ( looks like nicer timber than the stock CZ). They seem like good value.
wolfsburg
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 23 Jul 2018, 1:34 pm

I've seen one in the flesh and fired a few shots out of it. Mate of a mate had bought it. Was just like a CZ except it had very nice timber and threaded barrel. Cannot remember now if it base on CZ 452 action or the CZ455 action. Cz455 having the removable barrel

I saw the CZ455 with 3 barrels advertise for $950 the other day. So $899 doesn't really sound cheap to me. If it is really just a CZ. But I am sure somebody knows more about them than I do!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jul 2018, 2:30 pm

wolfsburg wrote:My LGS has them, the barrelled action is a CZ 455, it has 'Made in Czechoslovakia' stamped on the barrel. The stock is a Cogswell ( looks like nicer timber than the stock CZ). They seem like good value.

Hard to figure why the barrel should be stamped "Made in Czechoslovakia" when on 1st Jan 1993 Czechia and Slovakia separated into the two countries, as they previously were, i.e. Czechoslovakia no longer exists.
Czeska Zbrojovka (zbrojovka, rough translation armory / arsenal) CZ started production in 1936, their factory in Uhersky Brod. Said to be the largest small-arms manufacturer in the world in numbers and area, with about 80 hectares under one roof.
CZ acquired Zbrojovka Brno rifles in 2006. The towns of Brno and Uhersky Brod are about 70km apart.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Jul 2018, 3:13 pm

No1_49er wrote:
wolfsburg wrote:My LGS has them, the barrelled action is a CZ 455, it has 'Made in Czechoslovakia' stamped on the barrel. The stock is a Cogswell ( looks like nicer timber than the stock CZ). They seem like good value.

Hard to figure why the barrel should be stamped "Made in Czechoslovakia" when on 1st Jan 1993 Czechia and Slovakia separated into the two countries, as they previously were, i.e. Czechoslovakia no longer exists.
Czeska Zbrojovka (zbrojovka, rough translation armory / arsenal) CZ started production in 1936, their factory in Uhersky Brod. Said to be the largest small-arms manufacturer in the world in numbers and area, with about 80 hectares under one roof.
CZ acquired Zbrojovka Brno rifles in 2006. The towns of Brno and Uhersky Brod are about 70km apart.

https://www.sjstradingco.com.au/certus- ... ckage.html
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jul 2018, 5:50 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

Yep, made under licence in the Czech Republic = Czechia
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 23 Jul 2018, 10:23 pm

Ive had one for around 18 months - it is a bloody great little 22 for the price.
Action is sweet, accurate with T.22 is phenomenal, and the timber is nicely figured, and threaded barrel is neat/handy although I dont know why we need a muzzle brake on a .22 :-)
For the price, I was impressed
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1_49er » 24 Jul 2018, 12:08 am

Faedy wrote:Ive had one for around 18 months - it is a bloody great little 22 for the price.
Action is sweet, accurate with T.22 is phenomenal, and the timber is nicely figured, and threaded barrel is neat/handy although I dont know why we need a muzzle brake on a .22 :-)

I guess it's because the rifle is not made just for the Australian market. Ever here about sound moderators and how they're attached?
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 24 Jul 2018, 6:35 am

No1_49er wrote:
Faedy wrote:Ive had one for around 18 months - it is a bloody great little 22 for the price.

I guess it's because the rifle is not made just for the Australian market. Ever here about sound moderators and how they're attached?

Have you seen some of the muzzle brakes available (with protective sleeve for storage). :allegedly: :silent:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 24 Jul 2018, 7:37 am

Do people not get sarcasm?
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 24 Jul 2018, 7:50 am

deanp100 wrote:Do people not get sarcasm?

What sarcasm? :sarcasm:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Jul 2018, 9:31 am

No1_49er wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

Yep, made under licence in the Czech Republic = Czechia

Yeah, I misspoke, but then I'm an old fart who still says Yugoslavia and Rhodesia and such as well :D
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 24 Jul 2018, 11:22 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Ahhhh - and I thought it was for a solvent catcher :idea: :lol:
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gettingstarted » 25 Jul 2018, 7:28 am

Hi gaz,

I’ve have had one for around two years. Went into LGS to buy a LA101 and got talked into the C&G. Went with it based on price difference and weight (and not knowing any better at the time). As others have said it’s made under licence by CZ however putting them side by side the rifle, particularly the timber all looks to be better quality.
All in all it’s a nice rifle, action is smooth, feed is reliable - haven’t had a single feeding issue. Little 5 short plastic mag looks a bit crappy, however it’s worked without issue.
It shoots well, better than I can. I use T22 for practice and Eley subs for hunting - both are great, on a sand bag I can get them within a 10-20c piece out to 50-60. Given I bought it primarily as a hunting rifle this suits my purpose fine.
I got mine for 1k as a package - Nikon 4-9 something or other (cheap crap). Might be better ‘value’ options around but it’s still a good quality - shooting rifle.
Be lying if I said I didn’t have a period of buyers remorse - I really did want the LA101 - however once it started using it have been satisfied.
Small issue that annoys me, throws bipod off with slight twist, must be the profile of the stock as same bipod on my tikka hunter no issue at all.
Cheers.
Gettingstarted
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Jul 2018, 11:05 am

Gettingstarted wrote:

Hi gaz,

I’ve have had one for around two years. Went into LGS to buy a LA101 and got talked into the C&G. Went with it based on price difference and weight (and not knowing any better at the time). As others have said it’s made under licence by CZ however putting them side by side the rifle, particularly the timber all looks to be better quality.
All in all it’s a nice rifle, action is smooth, feed is reliable - haven’t had a single feeding issue. Little 5 short plastic mag looks a bit crappy, however it’s worked without issue.
It shoots well, better than I can. I use T22 for practice and Eley subs for hunting - both are great, on a sand bag I can get them within a 10-20c piece out to 50-60. Given I bought it primarily as a hunting rifle this suits my purpose fine.
I got mine for 1k as a package - Nikon 4-9 something or other (cheap crap). Might be better ‘value’ options around but it’s still a good quality - shooting rifle.
Be lying if I said I didn’t have a period of buyers remorse - I really did want the LA101 - however once it started using it have been satisfied.
Small issue that annoys me, throws bipod off with slight twist, must be the profile of the stock as same bipod on my tikka hunter no issue at all.
Cheers.

Hi GS

Ta for that. Sounds like it might be the go.
I've been kicking myself for trading my LA101 for a Bmag 17WSM. Awesome round out to 200 but a bee fart worth of wind and that vicious little pill is off track by a mile and at ~60c a round that goes against my parsimonious nature.

I seem to have driven the rabbits here into totally nocturnal habits by going out every day, haven't seen one in the daylight for a couple of months now, but the little buggers are there, digging bloody scratch holes all over.

I'm wanting to get a NiteSite Wolf to put on it so I can lurk in the dark and knock them with subs and still be able to use it in the light without. If I try it on the Howa, one shot and every one in miles is back underground for the next hour.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles