Starting out (but able to dabble in competitive?)

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Starting Out /(but able to dabble in compeditive?)

Post by in2anity » 31 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

warmedfawn wrote:Will look into ammo costs, I dont see the point in running poor quality ammo which potentially will damage the barrel, perticularly considering what id like to do.

Not so much the barrel - the strain is more on the action. At a minimum you'll probably want to running SK or Eley - both give or take around the $100/500 mark.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by warmedfawn » 31 Jul 2018, 1:40 pm

Ahh ok, is this why I see the pro guys taking the action out and packing it away seprately? Not everyone seems to do this ive noticed

...sorry for all tge questions, but thankyou!
warmedfawn
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 31 Jul 2018, 1:59 pm

warmedfawn wrote:Ahh ok, is this why I see the pro guys taking the action out and packing it away seprately? Not everyone seems to do this ive noticed

...sorry for all tge questions, but thankyou!

FYI technically that's just the bolt - the action is the all encompassing mechanism (including the bolt) that handles the ammunition (loads, locks, fires, extracts and ejects). Not trying to be a smart-a$$ - nothin worse than a "know-all" :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by warmedfawn » 31 Jul 2018, 2:29 pm

No, no all good, here to learn
So its the barrel itself then? I got a little confused as previously from what was said i understood it to be the barrel which is the issue with regards to wear and tear and ammo. Not the bolt.

Any great books/sites for people who are new and just learning in general? (Rifle) my knowledge is very limited, its all a new game for me
warmedfawn
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 31 Jul 2018, 2:35 pm

warmedfawn wrote:No, no all good, here to learn
So its the barrel itself then? I got a little confused as previously from what was said i understood it to be the barrel which is the issue with regards to wear and tear and ammo. Not the bolt.

Any great books/sites for people who are new and just learning in general? (Rifle) my knowledge is very limited, its all a new game for me

The barrel is attached (usually screwed) to the action, and has the chamber (for a specific calibre) cut into it. Sorry, don't know of any books.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jul 2018, 2:48 pm

warmedfawn wrote:..sorry for all tge questions, but thankyou!

That's what this forum is for. Don't ever be scared of askin questions when ya not sure. Firearms don't leave a lot of room for errors!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

Possibly try google, or youtube there is plenty of info. This forum has been good for any specific questions I had, but I knew some basics from when I was younger plus movies... lol

Also recommended going to a range, ssaa in springvale, victoria are open every day, I find best is to actually do it in real and then ask specific questions

If you don't have a license the safety course covers many basics esp in handling of firearms
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 31 Jul 2018, 3:14 pm

Something like this is what yu need, perfect scope for benchrest too: https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=131270
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles