which 22 should i get?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

which 22 should i get?

Post by tofu » 17 Aug 2018, 7:45 pm

Im looking to purchase a 22lr but i can't make up my mind on which one to get so i was hoping that the experience in this place could give me the pros/cons or an outright "get this one".

Not buying from any of these places, they are just links to what the rifle is.

1. http://www.protactical.com.au/brands/pr ... ued-9-shot
2. http://www.osaaustralia.com.au/products ... ct-barrel/
3. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-o ... ier-rifle/

number 4 is the default bolt action
4. https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/ ... -threaded/

edit:
its just for the range but was considering getting something "a little different" but if these are all not so great, then i'll just go the bolt action
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: which 22 should i get?

Post by MJW380 » 17 Aug 2018, 7:52 pm

What are you planning on using it for?
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 17 Aug 2018, 7:52 pm

seriously you would not go wrong with a brno model 1 or 2
not that I am saying there is anything wrong with your choices
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 17 Aug 2018, 8:24 pm

From your selection, my choice would be the lever action Henry with the 24" barrel. There is a major dealer listing them for $800.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Aug 2018, 8:28 pm

If you can get one, you cannot go past the LA101.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm

well tofu , it's a real can of worms. as marksman said early brno/cz 452 are a great choice. in my experience you had to mount the scope high because of the 90 degree bolt throw cocking/uncocking the action. if you can find a good early brno they can deliver outstanding accuracy .me personally i favor rear locking weihrauch and krico german rifles with a 60 degree throw for more scope clearance/lower mounting position. just a thought, pine river gunshop and locksmiths on brisbane northside have a nice second hand anschutz 1416 22lr and some early brno's that are reasonably priced. the henry lever would be a fun plinker, but pulling the load tube out to single load at the range would be annoying. i'm not sure if you can load any other way. heard great things about the build qaulity but. pump action henry is different for sure .there are winchester and browning and marlin lever rimfires for sale second hand. just a thought :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 8:38 pm

good on ya gazza ! heard those lithgows shoot like a laser beam !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by tofu » 17 Aug 2018, 8:48 pm

right, so looks like the general consensus is to go with good ol bolt action. i might look into a brno but not sure since they are a bit older. i do like the idea of a lithgow but was oddly hoping someone would give me an option other than bolt but all good.

thanks all
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 17 Aug 2018, 8:57 pm

Let ya inner cowboy shine and grab a lever 22 henry. BL. or a good old 94 and have some fun!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 17 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

Ruger precision?
What do you call a fly with no wings?

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by tofu » 17 Aug 2018, 9:23 pm

FliesAreAnnoying wrote:Ruger precision?

nah, if i go bolt then i'll see if my local can order in a lithgow.
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 17 Aug 2018, 9:33 pm

it all depends on what your using it for ? levers are a good bunny rifle and just a lot of fun to shoot, target shooting is a bit different, my annie 1416 shoots a five shot one ragged hole at 25mtrs and a ragged one four shot hole at 50mtrs (when i get the fifth one in i will post it to the rimfire group topic) but is too heavy to lug around on a walk for bunny's so i take my marlin that shoots two inches at 50 but is nice and light (good enough for bunny's) so what do you want to use it for?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by tofu » 17 Aug 2018, 9:40 pm

tom604 wrote:it all depends on what your using it for ? levers are a good bunny rifle and just a lot of fun to shoot, target shooting is a bit different, my annie 1416 shoots a five shot one ragged hole at 25mtrs and a ragged one four shot hole at 50mtrs (when i get the fifth one in i will post it to the rimfire group topic) but is too heavy to lug around on a walk for bunny's so i take my marlin that shoots two inches at 50 but is nice and light (good enough for bunny's) so what do you want to use it for?

its really just for the range to plink away the work week. at the moment, i go to the range almost every weekend and shooting the 223 is getting expensive. i'll be getting into reloading soon but i still wouldnt mind getting a 22.
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 17 Aug 2018, 10:00 pm

marksman wrote:seriously you would not go wrong with a brno model 1 or 2
not that I am saying there is anything wrong with your choices

X 2 Old world quality and accuracy, everyone should have one ( or the Anshutz etc equivalent ) then fill your safe with "fun" 22's. I'm going to get one of the Savage A22R's when they arrive, but I'm sure my Model 2 will still be my favorite .
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 10:37 pm

tofu wrote:
tom604 wrote:it all depends on what your using it for ? levers are a good bunny rifle and just a lot of fun to shoot, target shooting is a bit different, my annie 1416 shoots a five shot one ragged hole at 25mtrs and a ragged one four shot hole at 50mtrs (when i get the fifth one in i will post it to the rimfire group topic) but is too heavy to lug around on a walk for bunny's so i take my marlin that shoots two inches at 50 but is nice and light (good enough for bunny's) so what do you want to use it for?

its really just for the range to plink away the work week. at the moment, i go to the range almost every weekend and shooting the 223 is getting expensive. i'll be getting into reloading soon but i still wouldnt mind getting a 22.

one of the best things about 22lr is they are cheap and fun to shoot. challenging with a little bit of wind too :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 18 Aug 2018, 12:33 am

Any .22lr I have Uberti lever action and Anschutz bolt action of the 2 I find the bolt action more accurate .
loading single shot at a range would be a real pain in any leaver action more so that a drop out mag find out from the range you g to what you can load you normally find a range where you can shoot pistol semi auto you can load a mag not sure about loading a revolving carbine ask at the range about that .
you said about reloading .223 look at the cost of http://www.outbackammo.com.au/223-rem-5 ... -blitzking its nearly at the price I can reload it for and time wise if I take that into the equation its easier just to buy it .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 18 Aug 2018, 9:44 am

+1 on the Brno Mdl 1-2.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 18 Aug 2018, 10:14 am

What's with the reference, on two occasions, to single loading being a PITA, referring specifically to l/a?
I don't find that any of my l/a's any more difficult to load than any of my magazine fed rifles.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 18 Aug 2018, 11:28 am

No1_49er wrote:What's with the reference, on two occasions, to single loading being a PITA, referring specifically to l/a?
I don't find that any of my l/a's any more difficult to load than any of my magazine fed rifles.

The Henry has no loading gate, so you have to move around a lot more to load a single round than say a bolt action, where you can just use a single hand to bring a round into the breech, staying basically in position.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 18 Aug 2018, 11:32 am

Marlin 39 doesn't have a loading gate either. Still don't need to get out of position to load it.
But, why the need to load a single round, whether that be a tube or box magazine?
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 18 Aug 2018, 1:00 pm

finisher ? or to top up the mag ? :unknown: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 18 Aug 2018, 3:39 pm

Range rules - at some ranges, a safety thing.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 18 Aug 2018, 3:45 pm

Wombat wrote:Range rules - at some ranges, a safety thing.

It's unsafe to load a magazine? Get off the grass.
So nobody shoots Field Rifle at those ranges?
Or lever action, where there is usually a five shot sequence in 10 seconds. Good luck to you with single loading.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 18 Aug 2018, 4:02 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Or lever action, where there is usually a five shot sequence in 10 seconds. Good luck to you with single loading.

I just explained why, without advocating it. To expand -some ranges have stupid rules regarding magazine fed firearms only being used as single shots for safety reasons, I think that this is counterproductive for several reasons and do not agree with the logic of such a rule. After all if you cannot keep count you can always look. However if someone is used to something only being fed single rounds there is the chance they will think something is safe in the field when it is not.
Clear enough? :drinks:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 18 Aug 2018, 4:16 pm

Wombat wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

I just explained why, without advocating it. To expand -some ranges have stupid rules regarding magazine fed firearms only being used as single shots for safety reasons, I think that this is counterproductive for several reasons and do not agree with the logic of such a rule. After all if you cannot keep count you can always look. However if someone is used to something only being fed single rounds there is the chance they will think something is safe in the field when it is not.
Clear enough? :drinks:

Yes, quite clear - of course I understand.
It's just a f- u- rule that precludes a lot of specific matches, or even training for them.
Any and all firearms, at my home range, are inspected by the R.O. before they can leave the firing line for removal or racking. And if some ranges consider it a safety thing to disallow magazine loading, all I can say is there must be a serious lack of discipline in the way the range is operated.
Just sayin'.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 18 Aug 2018, 5:26 pm

Browning BL.22!!
Sooo much fun!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (798.04 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 18 Aug 2018, 5:35 pm

Mick280 wrote:Browning BL.22!!
Sooo much fun!!

That's what lever actions are about :D
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 18 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

Single loading rules usually has to do with the number of available ROs: minimal ROs = single feed. You can usually feed a lever through the breech, but it's a little finicky as you may need to partially stick it into the chamber before closing the action. But I suppose the same goes for some magazine-fed bolt action sporter rifles - many mags don't really allow for a round to nicely "cradle" on top, so you may need to also partially stick these into the chamber before closing the bolt. The most ergonomically single feed rifles are (by design) meant to be single fed (for example an anchutz or walther single shot); with these you just need to chuck the round into the cradle and the action takes care of the rest. A good compromise is to pick up a single-shot, target adapter that has a cradle - you can get em for the CZs or BRNOs or the new Lithgows - this makes it trivial for single shot as you can just place the round in the cradle (before closing the bolt).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Crankycant » 22 Aug 2018, 6:32 am

I shot a browning t-bolt at the range it was a beast. The bloke was really wrapped with it he just wanted everyone there to have go. It is a straight pull action just another option to the regular bolt gun.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Aug 2018, 1:33 pm

Crankycant wrote:I shot a browning t-bolt at the range it was a beast. The bloke was really wrapped with it he just wanted everyone there to have go. It is a straight pull action just another option to the regular bolt gun.

I have a T-bolt Varmint-Target and while it is generally a nice rifle and capable of great accuracy, the trigger is truly horrible. Good news is that 'the ebay trigger guy' can fix it. There is also a replacement trigger available and I'm thinking of going that option but ut is going to cost about $400 to import it from the US.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles