Should you use copper 22 ammo?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Should you use copper 22 ammo?

Post by beepar » 13 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on using copper jacketed 22LR ammo over standard lead ammo.

If shooting copper jacketed ammo, do you still stick to the 'never clean a 22' philosophy?

Cheers.
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Should you use copper 22 ammo?

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm

I clean my 22 any time I use it regardless of what type of ammo. I use copper ammo frequently and see no ill effects from using it provided you clean your rifle afterwarda
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by kritch » 13 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

If I've read the right things it just means there will be copper fouling that will need to be cleaned out.

It can't be left like you can when shooting lead only ammo?

So I've read elsewhere anyway...
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tinked » 13 Jan 2014, 2:56 pm

The copper fouling is a point, other than that though what would the difference be?

It's still waxed/lubricated ammo that will be tonnes easier on the barrel than full bore stuff. Maybe it shortens barrel life a bit, but in a 22 you're still talking 10 of thousands of rounds or whatever with a maintained barrel.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by yoshie » 13 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

Cleaning frequency is the same ( if you do it a lot or not at all ) but you should introduce a copper solvent or solvent with a copper cutting action into your process. Copper has a habit of building up layer by layer and can cause issues ( accuracy and pressure) Rimfires are less prone to compared to centrefiles but it still affects them to a degree.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Monty » 14 Jan 2014, 9:24 am

I think the bad vibe around copper plated ammo in 22's is mostly the result of people getting their facts mixed up. Based on comments I've read elsewhere anyway.

Person X reads that you don't clean a 22. Lots of people with lead ammo reporting 10,000 shots with no cleaning etc.

Person X shoots copper plated 22 then doesn't clean there barrel, copper residue build up and oxidises.

People shooting lead ammo don't have this problem, person X blames copper ammo for "rusting their barrel".

I've read more than a few misunderstandings of it with comments that suggest the above.

Like yoshie said, if you're getting copper fouling and it's affecting your accuracy, you obviously need to clean it.

If your experience with your rifle suggest there is no need to clean it, that's up to you.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles