Webley & Scott Xocet 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Webley & Scott Xocet 22lr

Post by Jerrybra94 » 01 Apr 2021, 6:01 pm

I'm glad it started misfiring instead of getting to dangerous. Can't wait to see if it sorted it out. Will keep everyone updated
Jerrybra94
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Robin » 01 Apr 2021, 7:32 pm

I just put a deposit on the 22 mag version, hoping most of the issues will be sorted out.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jerrybra94 » 01 Apr 2021, 7:36 pm

Robin wrote:I just put a deposit on the 22 mag version, hoping most of the issues will be sorted out.

Depends if they still have the same barrel set up. I'd be pulling the stock off after the second to third use and checking them grub screws
Jerrybra94
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 01 Apr 2021, 9:08 pm

Jerrybra94 wrote:I'm glad it started misfiring instead of getting to dangerous. Can't wait to see if it sorted it out. Will keep everyone updated

Exactly the same thing happened to mine !!

I took it to Under Resistance Armoury here in Brisbane as it was under warranty, he repaired in about 2 minutes & said i happens to about 1 in about 100 rifles. Somehow they don't get torqued correctly from the manufacturer. Have not had a single issue since :) :)

Such a fun little gun !!!
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Robin » 16 Apr 2021, 7:31 am

Picked up mine yesterday, apparently this is a version 2 so should have all the issues fixed.

Ok first impressions, very light and small , almost feels like a nerf gun, from that side, I can see alot of fun will be had, my next thing I noticed was that the bolt was pretty tight and didn't slide as smooth as my other rifles , even after I gave it a good clean its still not smooth, its ok, it is a cheep rifle so I'm not expecting it to behave the same way as my $2k rifle , it may be something that will get fixed as it gets used, anyway Sunday will be test day, ill chuck a heap of rnds and see how it goes .
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dandry » 17 Apr 2021, 10:30 am

Just picked one of these up as a cheap plinker and heading off to try it out next weekend, Ignoring the debate around whether or not to clean a .22 at all; what have those with the Xocet used for a bore guide? My .22 bore guide won't go into the chamber as there is a big protusion from the top of the mag; the bolt itself is almost a semi circle rather than round.
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 17 Apr 2021, 7:28 pm

Dandry wrote:Just picked one of these up as a cheap plinker and heading off to try it out next weekend, Ignoring the debate around whether or not to clean a .22 at all; what have those with the Xocet used for a bore guide? My .22 bore guide won't go into the chamber as there is a big protusion from the top of the mag; the bolt itself is almost a semi circle rather than round.

I cleaned mine as I could see crap down the barrel and just something I like to do when I have a new rifle, as far as a bore guide, I didn't use one for this.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dandry » 18 Apr 2021, 7:19 am

Robin wrote:
Dandry wrote:Just picked one of these up as a cheap plinker and heading off to try it out next weekend, Ignoring the debate around whether or not to clean a .22 at all; what have those with the Xocet used for a bore guide? My .22 bore guide won't go into the chamber as there is a big protusion from the top of the mag; the bolt itself is almost a semi circle rather than round.

I cleaned mine as I could see crap down the barrel and just something I like to do when I have a new rifle, as far as a bore guide, I didn't use one for this.

Thanks, mine was full of thick grease so (everywhere-bolt, action, stock, barrel...!) so cleaned it when I got it, that’s when I found my bore guide wouldn’t fit.
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 18 Apr 2021, 3:53 pm

Had my first play of it today, ti be honest , its a fun rifle to have a mess around , accuracy wasn't too bad either , couple of things that s**t me was the single loads, the bullets are too small for single loads, but that's not the guns fault, in regards to a very tight bolt, it wasn't too bad after a clean and the added hoppes grease , ill try it at Ripley's next with a magazine load.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Murph77 » 26 Apr 2021, 4:15 pm

My rifle just came in so went and had a look. I noticed the triger was just a nice flat blade not the odd looking skeletized thing it previously had. I assume this is an update?
Murph77
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Humperdinkel » 29 Apr 2021, 7:03 pm

Murph77 wrote:My rifle just came in so went and had a look. I noticed the triger was just a nice flat blade not the odd looking skeletized thing it previously had. I assume this is an update?

Yep, series 2 rifle :thumbsup:
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Murph77 » 29 Apr 2021, 8:56 pm

Yep, series 2 rifle :thumbsup:[/quote]

Cheers mate. Do you know if anything else had been upgraded or changed?
Murph77
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Dandry » 30 Apr 2021, 8:36 pm

Got to have a crack with mine today (mkII also); very happy-bolt action is very short but positive, mag feed was faultless and once sighted in stayed tight. This was a <$600 package inc scope, bag & boresnake, for that money I reckon it’s hard to go wrong.
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Murph77 » 05 May 2021, 9:40 pm

Those people that have one. How does the barrel handle the heat of constant shooting? Do you need to let it cool after 10 rounds? Do you notice accuracy reduce due to heat?
Cheers
Murph77
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2021, 11:54 pm

Murph77 wrote:Those people that have one. How does the barrel handle the heat of constant shooting? Do you need to let it cool after 10 rounds? Do you notice accuracy reduce due to heat?
Cheers

I don't think .22LR has enough powder or bullet friction to generate heat in anything but full-auto mag dumps.

Actually, even full-auto doesn't generate much heat in .22LR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjW3uoG_Wn0
Last edited by bladeracer on 06 May 2021, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Murph77 » 06 May 2021, 12:40 am

Thats alot of ammo to chew through!

My only concern is how much metal there is under the carbon and could that be an issue while banging away at targets?
Murph77
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2021, 1:19 am

Murph77 wrote:Thats alot of ammo to chew through!

My only concern is how much metal there is under the carbon and could that be an issue while banging away at targets?

Easiest way to find out is to grab a case of ammo and put it down the bore until accuracy starts to deteriorate.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Humperdinkel » 06 May 2021, 7:35 am

Murph77 wrote:Those people that have one. How does the barrel handle the heat of constant shooting? Do you need to let it cool after 10 rounds? Do you notice accuracy reduce due to heat?
Cheers

Load her up & send em down range mate....... I have put 425 (CCI Blazer pour pack) rounds through mine non-stop & the last round went through the same hole as the first :thumbsup:
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Murph77 » 06 May 2021, 10:39 am

Load her up & send em down range mate....... I have put 425 (CCI Blazer pour pack) rounds through mine non-stop & the last round went through the same hole as the first :thumbsup:[/quote]

Cheers mate sounds like it will be fine! Haha. Im waiting for my application to be processed so cant play with it yet!
Murph77
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Scratchysack » 11 Jun 2021, 1:48 pm

I bought one of these a few months ago, but only fired it for the first time today.

Bolt in. Ammo in the mag. Mag in. Cycle the bolt. Loaded. Flicked the safety on. Pulled the trigger to check the safety. Safety works. Flicked the safety off (with my trigger finger away from the trigger)......

BANG.

Awesome.

Now I have to strip a brand new firearm to see what is wrong with it.

What a way to start a relationship with a firearm.
Scratchysack
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Upnorth » 13 Aug 2021, 5:42 am

ScottyD wrote:
CrackThump wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but Ive had my Exocet for a month now, took it to the paddock a few times without a hitch. Now for the frustrating part of the story..

Last weekend I took it to the range for a club shoot and everything ran fine, even trying out different target ammo. After maybe 50 or 60 rounds it started to misfire maybe 1 in 10, I assumed dodgey ammo at the time but as the day wore on it got progressively worse, even changing ammo brands.by the time I gave up it was misfiring 50/50.

This morning up in the paddock, it would only fire 1 in 10. I have since learned to inspect the base of the round and identify light strikes from the firing pin and this is definitely the cause.

Ive stripped down the bolt, cleaned out the whole shebang with a couple of good douses of G96, reassembled and loaded 5 rounds... ONE fire and 4 misfires.... So strip the bolt again, another dose of G96 , cleaned the WHOLE rifle, reassemble and load another 5 rounds.. same story.. the first round fires and the next 4 misfire.

very VERY light strikes on the base of the rounds. And to do due diligence, we loaded all my misfired rounds into her old browning 22 pumpaction and every one of them fired.

So what am I looking at. ? a faulty firing pin/assembly. ? a temperamental rifle. ?

is there something else I should be considering. ?

I still love this little rifle, Im calling this teething problems before I crack the sh*ts and go get a Ruger lol.

Hey mate, how'd you go with the issue? Did you get to the bottom of it?

Had this problem too.
The screws holding the barrel to the action came loose.
Upnorth
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by jwai86 » 12 Jan 2022, 5:29 pm

Has anyone else given the Xocet a go recently? OSA still has it listed on their website, but they seem to have vanished from the inventories of dealers in the Sydney area.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Humperdinkel » 13 Jan 2022, 2:31 pm

jwai86 wrote:Has anyone else given the Xocet a go recently? OSA still has it listed on their website, but they seem to have vanished from the inventories of dealers in the Sydney area.

Shooters Delight in Underwood, QLD have them in stock if that helps ya :thumbsup:
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 14 Jan 2022, 10:10 am

Humperdinkel wrote:
jwai86 wrote:Has anyone else given the Xocet a go recently? OSA still has it listed on their website, but they seem to have vanished from the inventories of dealers in the Sydney area.

Shooters Delight in Underwood, QLD have them in stock if that helps ya :thumbsup:

Not when I checked their website not long ago to confirm your statement.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 5N1P3R55 » 08 Sep 2022, 7:53 pm

Does anybody know if the bolt handle knob can be replaced?
5N1P3R55
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: Webley & Scott Xocet 17 HMR /22lr / 22 Wmr

Post by Beefz Aus » 23 Feb 2023, 9:11 am

Hey all,

So I developed the misfiring issue with my 22 WMR Xocet Mark 2.

Just so there is the issue for future people who have this problem, as it's not anywhere I could find.

It's a head space issue. The retaining screws holding the barrel loses. This causes a gap between the barrel and bolt face which results in soft strikes.

Indicators,
1 - Soft struck ammunition
2 - Play in the barrel, it wobbles slightly
3 - When the bolt is locked into position there is and play in the cocking handle

Fix,

Remove stock
Remove carbon fibre wrap
Close the bolt
Losen the two barrel retaining screws
Lightly push the barrel all the way home and hold
Tighten screws
Reassemble

Get back to the fun stuff....
Beefz Aus
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by joneda1 » 11 Jun 2023, 7:58 am

JSS wrote:Well after having a play with it at the range on friday i have to say imo it's a nice little rifle, once sighted in it was like a laser. Not as smooth as the tikka i had out for the bro-in-law to play with, but then not as pricey either. it will make a fun bit of kit to play with and i'm glad i bought it.

I'm considering this Xocet as my first 22 in many years after finally getting my licence. There is a guy commenting on several reviews who shouts loudly about this rifle and a problem with the safety. Apparently, if you have the rifle loaded, apply the safety and then pull the trigger there is a problem where the gun will fire once the safety is released. Maybe that's a silly thing to do but it is conceivable that it would happen.

Can you confirm if this is the behaviour of the rifle as it would be a bit of a deal breaker for me - I don't want a rifle if it fires any time other than when I pull the trigger.

See the comment from jamie johnson on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUF2PsI0-U
joneda1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Webley & Scott Xocet 17 HMR /22lr / 22 Wmr

Post by Humperdinkel » 04 Aug 2023, 7:01 pm

Beefz Aus wrote:Hey all,

So I developed the misfiring issue with my 22 WMR Xocet Mark 2.

Just so there is the issue for future people who have this problem, as it's not anywhere I could find.

It's a head space issue. The retaining screws holding the barrel loses. This causes a gap between the barrel and bolt face which results in soft strikes.

Indicators,
1 - Soft struck ammunition
2 - Play in the barrel, it wobbles slightly
3 - When the bolt is locked into position there is and play in the cocking handle

Fix,

Remove stock
Remove carbon fibre wrap
Close the bolt
Losen the two barrel retaining screws
Lightly push the barrel all the way home and hold
Tighten screws
Reassemble

Get back to the fun stuff....

I have the exact same problem with mine... It was returned under warranty & the gunsmith tightened the retaining screws & it worked fine for about 3 minths & failed again. The screws are still tight, so im curious as to how you removed the carbon fibre ??
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles