Need help with a rimfire choice.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Need help with a rimfire choice.

Post by Wombat » 07 Sep 2018, 8:13 pm

Well, if you are going to stick with rimfire Winchester now do subsonic 22mag ammo. That gives you a quieter option with a bit more oomph than Subsonic LR.
Wombat
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 8:23 pm

Wombat wrote:Well, if you are going to stick with rimfire Winchester now do subsonic 22mag ammo. That gives you a quieter option with a bit more oomph than Subsonic LR.

Not much difference in energy if both are similar weight at the same velocity. Is the Winchester a heavier bullet?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 8:36 pm

Chappo wrote:Thanks guys.
Yeah big rich. Doesn’t have to be a rimfire, just trying to keep the noise down a bit and I don’t have experience with the less common Hornet - bee etc rounds.
I’m leaning towards 22wmr for the extra stopping power at 150yds.
Duncan, I see you’ve got a .22 Hornet. What do you think of it?

i would go the 22 mag or 22 hornet. my personal opinion 17hmr projectiles are a bit light . 22 mag 40gr hp cci's were good. i think $32 for a box of 50. i've had good results with 46gr win hollow points in 22 hornet ( under a inch at 100 ) but their $90 for 50. rem hp's are next best for accuracy but their $76 a box of 50. second hand zastava 22 hornets can be had cheap and can be very accurate. if you can get them in (foxes ) and only cull now and again and want to keep the noise down 22 mag is a good choice. if you don't head shoot they can tear up a rabbit but, not good if you want the meat . if you can find a old german made krico, they can be very accurate. if you want new get a weihrauch. you wont find a better factory trigger JMHO :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 07 Sep 2018, 10:25 pm

Not having a go bigrich but I ran a .17 HMR Ruger lever rifle with a 6x40 scope and any furry critter within 200 Metres that was body shot was massively internally damaged.I have no recollection of anything getting away.I have put 3 subsonic .22LR in a rabbit at 20 feet and it was still moving.the little 17 or 20gn pills are really moving and they have a ballistic tip.If you have not seen the results first hand its hard to believe how much killing power they have.At a station I culled roos on I would use the lever .17HMR for head shooting roos near the homestead as there was no noticable muzzle flash and not the deep crack/boom of a centrefire I used to ask the station workers but I never woke them up at 2.00am and the roos lked to hang out in the homestead paddocks maybe they thought they were safe.Ballistics on paper do not always have the same result as reality.I would not hesitate to have a .17 HMR again.I appreciate cost factors and stuff but would you buy a ferrari and put 91 octane in it to save a dollar???
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Post by Chappo » 07 Sep 2018, 10:28 pm

Thanks everyone.
Plenty of good ideas here.
The .22 hornet might be my next acquisition.

Bigrich. The Weihrauch sounds nice, I do like my oldies though and I’ve been interested in the Brno zkw465.

To those who suggested a tamer load in a .223 I will have some mates load some for me to try when Lithgow finally send me my 102
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 07 Sep 2018, 10:30 pm

Ps
Thanks for not letting this get into the age old “which is better, 22wmr or .17hmr” argument!!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 10:32 pm

duncan61 wrote:damn now I have to get these 22 Cal .224 35 gr V-MAX® and spend the weekend reloading

I use them in the .223 with good results.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 10:35 pm

duncan61 wrote:Sometimes in life we do things for the hell of it.I reload hornet and love the little fella.It will never catch the .222 no matter what some people claim and I soft load my .222 for about 2800 with 50g pills even a K hornet wont go that fast

Agreed, I would have no hesitation in adding a Hornet to my collection. But for most people that only like a handful of rifles, they're better served by getting something bigger they can load down for "Hornet" use, while also having the greater abilities of the full-power load. .243 can be loaded down to do everything the Hornet will do.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 07 Sep 2018, 10:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wombat wrote:Well, if you are going to stick with rimfire Winchester now do subsonic 22mag ammo. That gives you a quieter option with a bit more oomph than Subsonic LR.

Not much difference in energy if both are similar weight at the same velocity. Is the Winchester a heavier bullet?

A touch at 45gr V 40gr, just pointing out that if the 22 magnum was too loud there are quieter rounds available for it now.
Wombat
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 07 Sep 2018, 11:05 pm

Totally agree blade as always you have it wired.I have yet to get into trailboss loads but soon I will have all my reloading stuff back at my house.Where we collectively reloaded at a workshop my mate has passed on to the big Thailand in the sky and soon I will have to remove all the shooting stuff back to where I live.Many years ago I carefully necked out Hornet cases to .243 to make something like the 300 whisper.I never got round to getting a rifle chambered for it but now it is all doable
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 11:08 pm

duncan61 wrote:Many years ago I carefully necked out Hornet cases to .243 to make something like the 300 whisper.I never got round to getting a rifle chambered for it but now it is all doable

I used to seat 139gn 6.5x55mm FMJ's into .222Rem brass, just for key rings though, it never occurred to me to actually try shooting such a thing :-)
Interesting idea though, if I came across a 6.5mm barrel.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 07 Sep 2018, 11:09 pm

22 Cal .224 35 gr V-MAX® in .223 would be zipping along at around 3500fps.Thats cooking.Do you remember when 3000fps sounded fast
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 11:18 pm

duncan61 wrote:22 Cal .224 35 gr V-MAX® in .223 would be zipping along at around 3500fps.Thats cooking.Do you remember when 3000fps sounded fast

I recall the first time I saw the .17 Remington - that thing was a bloody laser beam compared to my .222Rem!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 08 Sep 2018, 1:14 am

Still is.Be hard to keep clean them little 17 rods are tiny
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Sep 2018, 7:00 am

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Sometimes in life we do things for the hell of it.I reload hornet and love the little fella.It will never catch the .222 no matter what some people claim and I soft load my .222 for about 2800 with 50g pills even a K hornet wont go that fast

Agreed, I would have no hesitation in adding a Hornet to my collection. But for most people that only like a handful of rifles, they're better served by getting something bigger they can load down for "Hornet" use, while also having the greater abilities of the full-power load. .243 can be loaded down to do everything the Hornet will do.

I had a really accurate Krico hornet, but after I got my 222 Winchester I came to the same conclusion BR . I liked my hornet, but excellent accuracy in 222 is so easy :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 18 Oct 2018, 7:28 pm

Given that you specify a rimfire and given the parameters you describe, the .17HMR seems to be the obvious choice. A .17 Hornet would do the job as well but unless you reload I'd be scared of the price of factory ammo. I know .17HMR isn't cheap like .22LR but the price of factory .22 Hornet is ridiculous. Ammo price is not an issue if you are shooting low volumes but shooting is fun so why limit yourself to low volumes?
So, my advice is buy a CZ455 in .17 HMR for about $700 and buy a .22LR conversion down the track to shoot lots and lots of cheap .22LR
Diamond Jim
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Chappo » 18 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

Too late jim, i bought a slazenger 24.
Thanks though.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 07 Nov 2018, 12:47 am

If that is the Slazenger 22 Hornet built on a SMLE action I think you are going to be very happy. We've had one in the family for over 50 years and it's an accurate rifle that has never let us down. Ours is fitted with iron sights only but it's never been an issue over the Hornet's range.
Diamond Jim
Private
Private

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles