Lithgow la101 scope questions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Lithgow la101 scope questions

Post by allan » 26 Sep 2018, 11:05 am

A few pics with options:
Leupold EFR's measure 1.8" across the objective.
Nikon 3-9X40 EFR-Leupold PRW lows- LA101 Bases
Weaver 6-24X42 Classic-Burris Signature Medium Zees-LA101 Bases
Leupold 3-9X33EFR-Leupold PRW lows-LA101 Bases
ImageImage
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Urastus » 28 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

Allan: nice; thanks for the photos. You must like the efr's :) Your setup looks similar to what I want. Have you put a bigger pad on the stock for extra lop? And your nikon - that was my first choice; great optics and adjustable objective for a reasonable price. What is the min focus on yours? If it's 10 yards where and when did you buy it? It's hard to get reliable info on that scope here in Aus. Which do you prefer between the nikon and the leupold?

I have the measurements for height to scope barrel etc, but it's looking like I need high judging from your setups. Out of the prw's and the zees, which do you prefer?

PaddyT; what rings are you using? And yes, mine's going to weigh a bit too; it's a heavy scope. I've been doing shoulder exercises in anticipation :D .

Thankyou both
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by allan » 29 Sep 2018, 2:17 pm

Urastus wrote: Have you put a bigger pad on the stock for extra lop? And your nikon - that was my first choice; great optics and adjustable objective for a reasonable price. What is the min focus on yours? If it's 10 yards where and when did you buy it? It's hard to get reliable info on that scope here in Aus. Which do you prefer between the nikon and the leupold?
Out of the prw's and the zees, which do you prefer?

Both our LA101's have the factory pads - These stocks fit a wide range of build types - My very small wife and I have no eye relief problems shooting these rifles as pictured.
The AO on my Nikon goes down to 10 yards. It came fitted to a SH Weihrauch HW60J I bought. For the price, these are excellent scopes - I've had this on several very accurate 22's to check tracking and reliability and I can't fault it. Very clear, duplex/dot OK for all round use - Only possible issue for some is that the clicks are 1/4 at 50 YARDS - No biggie for me.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/niko ... s-Overview
The Leupold 3-9X33EFR's are about as good as it gets in a small, compact scope and will handle recoil fine too.
If a scope in this size and power range meets your requirements, here is another excellent option:
https://www.clearidgeoptics.com/ultra-rm-s/1814.htm
I own several Clearidge scopes - These are real "sleepers" in the optics world.
I have no issues with the older style PRW rings - Have no experience with the latest versions but some have had problems with them.
I prefer the Signature rings with inserts. They won't ever mark a scope tube and the off set insert kits will correct both windage & elevation variations thus allowing me to mount scopes with the internal adjustments very close to their optical centre - Time consuming and fiddley to mount though.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Urastus » 29 Sep 2018, 5:20 pm

Thanks Allan. I did consider burris xtr rings - same sort of thing. Yeah, I can imagine they'd be fiddly, loosening off the scope each time and moving it slightly in the rings only to have it move again as you tighten it up :) Similar to caliper brakes on early (and still on cheap) mountain bikes. I've seen clear ridge mentioned a few times on UK air gun forums - those dudes like them. I've researched the nikon scopes here - the au site says 10m, but try and buy one - they're all from 50 yards. I even got one shop to look at the markings on the objective - 50 yards. They're 10yards in the US. I don't know what's going on :?
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by PaddyT » 30 Sep 2018, 12:33 pm

Sorry mate just saw your question , pretty sure they are burris rings but i must admit i just went with the gunshop and didnt question there choice, will have a look and get back to you.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 01 Oct 2018, 9:16 am

bladeracer wrote:You might struggle with a rail on that, although you could grind the side out of it to clear the ejection port.

mine seems to eject them out horizontally, should not hit the rail.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Urastus » 01 Oct 2018, 11:23 am

Yeah Scoobs, I'm going to try without the rail initially. I did see a scope rail for the 101 which I thought was made by lithgow - but now can't find where it was. There are a few manufacturers though (including in the uk) who make a rail that is shaped around the port. This one is Aust made, the link is under the picture.

http://www.iceng.com.au/2017/02/15/raising-scope-elevation-to-55moa-for-22lr-with-custom-pic-rail/
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles