22lr barrel temps and accuracy

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22lr barrel temps and accuracy

Post by Crankycant » 27 Sep 2018, 9:28 pm

Just found and interesting study on the roles that barrel temperatures play in regards to accuracy. I found it reasonably interesting especially if your into this sort of thing. Cheers

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... A-7TQD8csG
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 22lr barrel temps and accuracy

Post by straightshooter » 28 Sep 2018, 7:16 am

The study you referred to does tend to fall into the 'so what' category.
The test rifle, Walther KK300, is a $4000 target rifle. You would expect the barrel to be close to perfection in uniformity in all respects and thus lacking in the defects that are susceptible to differential heating effects.
The study would have been more interesting if comparison tests were done with a lightweight sporter barrel with commonly encountered volume production barrel deficiencies.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Crankycant » 28 Sep 2018, 9:11 am

Yeah I know, it would pretty informative if the study was conducted to test modern day sporters.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Sep 2018, 5:23 pm

I think the conclusion is what is expected, the thing that I got out of it is
Contrary to popular belief, the purpose of the first shots taken during a competition (test shots) is not barrel heating but cleaning of remnants in the barrel.
thanks for posting :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles