Savage a22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Savage a22

Post by Michael08 » 20 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm

I only had a quick look when I first cleaned it but there’s two sets of catches, one is on the striker for the firing pin, when the striker is laying down it’s got 2 or 3 teeth and there’s another towards the middle of the receiver length ways, I’ll take some photos when I go to me old mans next, (he has a safe and I don’t) so my rifles love there.
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Michael08 » 24 Dec 2018, 4:15 pm

So just got home today from the range and I’m impressed with the savage, I shot three different load through it Winchester power points, cci standard target and cci stingers, it likes the stinger a lot! Around half an inch at 50 metres, it probably could have done a little better with someone more skilled behind it.
I went through 100 rounds on two targets and at the end of it I shot two ribbons off the bottom of my target frame and the hit 5/6 zip ties holding the backing on, a few of the other shooters didn’t quite know what was going on at the end hahahaha. I really like this rifle!
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lou » 29 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

gotta say its alot of fun( and quick) , and dam quiet on cc1 standards . quieter then any air rifle ive played with .. didnt have any subs with me , trying that next time
howa hcr 308
wetherby vangaurd 308
remington 783 223
chiappa 1892 357mag
ruger american 17hmr
savage a22r
adler 12g
Lou
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by FNQ » 06 Feb 2019, 8:37 pm

I have the A22 in stainless with a Tasco TRS25 red dot. It’s an awesome fun little gun. Probably a little over priced.

Doesn’t like all ammo. Browning for some reason doesn’t always fire. CCI quiet doesn’t “blow back” enough ie won’t cycle. Loves Federal.

Lever does free up and can be cycled fast.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cracker » 08 Feb 2019, 10:40 pm

love to see some internal photos of the bolt how it hangs up with the release... i run ferdreal match in my semi autos runs really well, i cant seeing it much different in the savage.
how do they go with sub sonics ?
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by fishburgr » 10 Feb 2019, 2:54 pm

Dang, I picked mine up recently and the LGS assured me CCI quiet would cycle due to the multiple catches it has for different power ammo.

It's a bit of a pain to give a proper clean too. At least for me, a new gun owner. Whereas on the A22 semi-auto you can just pop the bolt out and clean it. On this gun once the bolts out, to get it back in requires you to remove the stock and trigger set before the bolt will slide back in. Without doing that the catch under the bolt that holds it back will stop it from going back in.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 16 Feb 2019, 10:45 pm

I got around to firing mine. All the ammo I tried cycled the bolt just fine, including CCI Quiet and Subsonics. The CCI Copper wouldnt feed half the time tho, the soft bullet kept getting caught up. None of the other rounds had any problem feeding.

IT was a bit windy and Ive never really shot much before but when trying to sight the rifle in I was having real issues. When standard velocity was hitting accuratly, then quiet and subsonic wasnt even on paper and vice versa. It could very well have been my ability and Ill get someone else to give it a shoot when I next go.

The RO at Belmont SSAA was a huge help for a complete newb like myself. Helped me get set up at the start, showed me how to adjust the scope and loaded a few mags for me so I could test the guns operation fully.

YOu have to give the bolt release lever a really good hard tug and the trigger is pretty heavy I think. \

All summed up tho I had a massive smile on my face while I was there.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by FNQ » 08 Mar 2019, 10:48 am

Just put a couple of ARMSCOR super quiet rounds through mine.
As advertised super quiet.
Air rifle make more noise
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dabi » 01 Apr 2019, 2:59 pm

bronco93 wrote:I think I only want one more for the novelty of it. Same as those revolver carbine rifles. Ugly af, but would reckon would be pretty fun.

what u say about the revolver rifles??? :x they are gorgeous 8-)
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Apr 2019, 8:42 pm

fishburgr wrote:I got around to firing mine. All the ammo I tried cycled the bolt just fine, including CCI Quiet and Subsonics. The CCI Copper wouldnt feed half the time tho, the soft bullet kept getting caught up. None of the other rounds had any problem feeding.

IT was a bit windy and Ive never really shot much before but when trying to sight the rifle in I was having real issues. When standard velocity was hitting accuratly, then quiet and subsonic wasnt even on paper and vice versa.

Mate, you do realise that the subs are travelling a lot slower, so are hitting much lower down the target and vice versa when zeroing the subs - the cci’s will be a couple inches higher at 50 ? And also - don’t forget additional spin speed will have faster bullets to one side...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by fishburgr » 08 Apr 2019, 7:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
fishburgr wrote:I got around to firing mine. All the ammo I tried cycled the bolt just fine, including CCI Quiet and Subsonics. The CCI Copper wouldnt feed half the time tho, the soft bullet kept getting caught up. None of the other rounds had any problem feeding.

IT was a bit windy and Ive never really shot much before but when trying to sight the rifle in I was having real issues. When standard velocity was hitting accuratly, then quiet and subsonic wasnt even on paper and vice versa.

Mate, you do realise that the subs are travelling a lot slower, so are hitting much lower down the target and vice versa when zeroing the subs - the cci’s will be a couple inches higher at 50 ? And also - don’t forget additional spin speed will have faster bullets to one side...

Yeah thanks mate. It was my first time shooting at that range and first rifle. I thoughyt I was shooting 25/50m, but it was actually 50/100m targets which accounts for the large drop at 100m(which I thought was 50m where there should have been much less.)

Its all sorted now.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles