Opinions on CZ 455

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Opinions on CZ 455

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Oct 2018, 9:51 am

Biggus,

I see they list 2 different sizes for the Dovetails; 3/8" or 11mm. Are all the Australian-sourced 455's likely to be 11mm, or is it a mixed bag??

I looked at the Delta Tactical rails, and until I know which rail fits, I think I'll have to wait.

Still considering what size objective I'll have on the scope I'll fit to the CZ, which is going to dictate my ring height.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Biggus63 » 21 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Biggus,

I see they list 2 different sizes for the Dovetails; 3/8" or 11mm. Are all the Australian-sourced 455's likely to be 11mm, or is it a mixed bag??

I looked at the Delta Tactical rails, and until I know which rail fits, I think I'll have to wait.

Still considering what size objective I'll have on the scope I'll fit to the CZ, which is going to dictate my ring height.

Cheers,

Rod.

Should be an 11mm dovetail, mine is, I think in the US it's a 3/8. All CZs that come here are 11mm as far as I know. That 11mm/picatinny rail is pretty tall so unless you put a monster scope on the rifle you'll probably get away with fairly short rings.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 30 Oct 2018, 3:21 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Thanks, Cooper.

This again confirms that I think my next rifle will be a CZ 455, with the .22LR and the .17HMR barrels.

I think so far, I've had 8 people who have CZ455's tell me their experiences, and none of them have expressed regret at buying the rifle.
Indeed everyone has said they are very happy with the rifle.
Good enough for me...

I wonder how many people buy the .22WMR barrel, and are happy with it?? Given the .17HMR barrel is available for about the same money, I've no idea why someone would buy the .22WMR. It's not like you're going to be reloading them or anything...

Thanks again; this is the sort of info I was chasing.

Cheers,

Rod.

Hi Rod - I have a couple (or so) I do not regret buying any of the 455s

I have one that has only the 22WMR barrel, and it groups acceptably - about 2" at 100 yards. I'm happy with it, because I wasn't expecting anything better, since nobody I know makes .22WMR target ammo, so it met my expectations.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 30 Oct 2018, 3:29 pm

Biggus63 wrote:

Cheers,

Rod.

Should be an 11mm dovetail, mine is, I think in the US it's a 3/8. All CZs that come here are 11mm as far as I know. That 11mm/picatinny rail is pretty tall so unless you put a monster scope on the rifle you'll probably get away with fairly short rings.

Do a search on "CZ US FAQS" and it should take you here http://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

There you can page down to

Q: “What rings do I need for my rimfire rifle?”

A: All 455s have 11mm dovetails. Beyond that, the dovetails might be 11mm or 3/8″ depending on whether the platform was developed for the US market or the European market. The foolproof way to tell is to take a measurement. 3/8″ dovetails will measure 0.5″/12.7mm at the top/widest part of the dovetail. 11mm dovetails will measure 0.433″/11mm at the top/widest part.

Some 452 models were 11mm and some were 3/8" which is confusing, all 455s are the same according to them and to my experience.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by eddahenry » 30 Oct 2018, 6:14 pm

Have a 455 tacticool ,, added pillars , bedded it , trigger kit from lowey products in SA
pretty much speaks for its self at 50m
Federal hunter match 5 shot group
fedarel hunter match.jpg
fedarel hunter match.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 7312 times
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Oct 2018, 7:06 pm

eddahenry
Filth :D :drinks:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 16 Nov 2018, 8:30 pm

Very tidy!
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Nov 2018, 2:28 am

I’m another happy 455 owner - zero modifications other than a lightened trigger. Mine is a confidence inspiring rifle shooting subsonic .22 lapua mAg rounds to insane group sizes at 50 and 100m. Ditto the same with high velocity and less drop. Mine also came with threaded muzzle - not sure if this is standard but might be beneficial.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by snag » 20 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm

I have a 455 varmint barrel , thumbhole stock, in .22lr with a Leupold VX1 2-7 x 28 in Leupold rings. I let my mates shoot it at the range so that they can experience cutting ragged holes at 50 yards. Best damn gun I ever owned.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blutius Maximus » 24 Nov 2018, 12:35 pm

I placed an order yesterday for a CZ455 Stainless Synthetic Hunter in .17HMR.

What sort of dollars for the rifle and the next barrel you want?

I saw one place selling the 455 combo (all 3 barrels) not long ago. From memory it was around $940 or thereabouts and the 455 was 7 something for rifle in one caliber only.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 24 Nov 2018, 1:25 pm

I paid ~$850 for the rifle in .17HMR (Stainless Synthetic); sitting in my LGS in Outback QLD.

Still waiting for Winchester Australia to send the .22LR barrel, but I am enjoying pokking stuff with the .17 in the mean-time...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blutius Maximus » 24 Nov 2018, 1:36 pm

Yeah price I saw was for blued.

Excellent. Reward the person who helps you.
Nothing worse than when someone picks the brains of the small business owner for help and advice, and then buys from a large company to save peanuts.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by DeadPool » 29 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

Edited because I'm a twit.
CZ455 owners what mounts did you use with your 1" tubed scopes, and how's the bolt clearance? I have a Bushnell Engage 4-12x40 coming for mine and haven't decided which mounts to go with.
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 Nov 2018, 5:37 pm

DeadPool,

Initially, I have gone the Talley CZ 30mm rings(Suit 11mm Dovetail), and as mine were to fit a 50mm objective, I went with the High rings.

Best guess is the bolt knob has about 3/4 cm clearance on the side of the scope.
I havent found the clearance between scope and bolt has been an issue; havent noticed it ever being a problem.

In the next week or so, I'll fit the 15MOA rail(Area 419), and then fit this scope with some 30mm Picatinny rings. Not sure if I'll get away with medium rings; I'll have to look at how far the rail extends, and whether medium rings will give enough clearance.

Attached gives you an idea of my setup with the Talley clamp rings.
Attachments
20181129_172753 PSE.jpg
20181129_172753 PSE.jpg (408.94 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 29 Nov 2018, 6:49 pm

This may help.
https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4268

It looks like all 455s have an 11mm dovetail
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 29 Nov 2018, 7:12 pm

DeadPool wrote:Edited because I'm a twit.
CZ455 owners what mounts did you use with your 1" tubed scopes, and how's the bolt clearance? I have a Bushnell Engage 4-12x40 coming for mine and haven't decided which mounts to go with.

The bolt lift and scope clearance is a pretty common issue with the CZ. You'd be fairly safe if you went high mounts. I have a Bushnell rimfire with high mounts on my CZ455.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles