Entry level PCP

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Entry level PCP

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Oct 2018, 7:37 pm

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with entry level PCP air rifles. I’ve got a gamo shadow in . 177 that gets a lot of use but the trigger leaves a LOT to be desired, and follow up shots are too slow to be a realistic option when the bunnies hang around for half a moment after the first shot before bolting for cover.

I was in my local the other day and the shop owner pushed a Diana stomrider in .22 over the counter and said have a look at this… For what is clearly an entry level PCP it seems OK. There’s some mixed reviews out there but most of the complaints seem to be from people that expect more than they are paying for.

Anyone got any first hand experience with entry level PCP air rifles?

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Entry level PCP

Post by Jakethefake » 23 Nov 2018, 10:58 am

I just put down a deposit and applied for a PTA for a Diana outlaw in .22. I think its the next step up from the stormrider. Its regulated and has a larger magazine capacity. They seem to be pretty thin on the ground though.
I've wanted a PCP for ages but they've always been too expensive. The outlaw is about $800.
I'm hoping it'll be good for quiet cheap plinking, and for bunnies. Also plan to use it on cane toads. Currently using a cheapy break barrel I get sick of breaking after a while.
I'll make a post about it once I get my hands on it and have a play.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Red Dog » 02 Dec 2018, 7:39 am

Hi, I see your question about entry level pcp.I bought a Hatsun AT 44-10 in .177 cal about 6 yrs ago and it is still my favourite. It is coupled with a low light Bushnell 3-9 scope and it is good on rabbits to 50 metres head shots and very accurate for an entry level pcp.
I use Baracuda 4.5 / .177 cal 10.65 gr slugs and it is happy with these and accurate. I get 70 shots per charge approx and have a pony scuba tank that costs $10 to fill with air and gives about 30 fills to my pcp. So it is economical, fun and the rifle cost around $500, pony tank and fill hose and gauge etc cost about $400. Beats a foot pump and any break barrel. I use a camo hide and set up on a rotary turntable to sit my chair on . I made it so when you are set up overlooking your bunny area you can rotate the hide 360 deg from inside and still have your target in site if it moves, ha! I plan to upgrade to a Weihrauch
one day as $$$$ allows. Cheers RD.
Red Dog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Dec 2018, 10:46 am

Thanks RD. PCP is now on the back burner. My play money just got spent buying my boy a shotgun for trap........ Never mind.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles