223 or 243

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: 223 or 243

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2018, 6:52 am

bigrich wrote:30 plus years ago, before we were spoiled for choice, the 243 was the "one gun" for everything .pigs , goats , deer , if you upgraded from a three-oh , to a new fangled flat shooting sporter , 243 was it . at least that's how i remember it in south east queensland back then. of coarse if ya lived in NT ya owned something bigger . a lot of big stuff was killed with 303's back when, and with the 30-30 and 44-40's as well . in another generation , 300 win mag will be required for goats at this rate :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Yep Red Deer and others were culled for years using a 222, now we need armour piercing tank shells to do the job apparently :lol:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2018, 6:58 am

I think the problem is manufacturers and their pursuit for more and more profits, they come up with all these new cals and justify their need/benefits to market them to all and sundry, when in fact most would have cals that are good enough for the majority of their hunting they do.

It's like Mobile Phones, it's every other week just about that apple or samsung bring out the latest and greatest must have phones that essentially all do the same bloody thing anyway but yet people have to rush and a buy the "Latest and Greatest" because it's so so much betterer than the one they have now.

People are just flat-out plain retarded these days I swear to god, dumb and dog s**t the lot of em :lol:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by bigrich » 31 Dec 2018, 8:32 am

bigfellascott wrote:I think the problem is manufacturers and their pursuit for more and more profits, they come up with all these new cals and justify their need/benefits to market them to all and sundry, when in fact most would have cals that are good enough for the majority of their hunting they do.

It's like Mobile Phones, it's every other week just about that apple or samsung bring out the latest and greatest must have phones that essentially all do the same bloody thing anyway but yet people have to rush and a buy the "Latest and Greatest" because it's so so much betterer than the one they have now.

People are just flat-out plain retarded these days I swear to god, dumb and dog s**t the lot of em :lol:

it is fun having lot's of toys, and things with "thump" :D . one or two capable centrefires is all most of us really need , but consumerism , new products , having the latest and greatest. it's all part of human nature i guess scott , i'm considering moving on my 308 sako synthetic . it's beutifully made , super accurate . but in reality my winchester in 6.5 swede will do everything i'm likely to come across . i've bin thinking a original old octagonal barreled '92 winchester in 32-20 would be more fun as a plinker and handloaded it's not too bad in grunt :D just a thought ......

bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2018, 11:06 am

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I think the problem is manufacturers and their pursuit for more and more profits, they come up with all these new cals and justify their need/benefits to market them to all and sundry, when in fact most would have cals that are good enough for the majority of their hunting they do.

it is fun having lot's of toys, and things with "thump" :D . one or two capable centrefires is all most of us really need , but consumerism , new products , having the latest and greatest. it's all part of human nature i guess scott , i'm considering moving on my 308 sako synthetic . it's beutifully made , super accurate . but in reality my winchester in 6.5 swede will do everything i'm likely to come across . i've bin thinking a original old octagonal barreled '92 winchester in 32-20 would be more fun as a plinker and handloaded it's not too bad in grunt :D just a thought ......

Pretty sure my mate runs a 32-20 on pigs with good effect, I think he uses lead projectiles (100gn or something like that) or he just uses his ol 223 and for some variety a 270win. You are right we just buy s**t for the sake of having it half the time, not that we really need it as such (got a good collection of fishing rods sitting here doing SFA along with a heap of Chainsaws and rifles too :lol:

I've stopped buying crap now, I'm into offloading mode as I only use a couple of each and I don't really see the point of having them cluttering up the place especially when I know I won't be using them again. :drinks:

It's funny how our needs and thinking changes of the years hey. :unknown:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by bigrich » 31 Dec 2018, 12:16 pm

too true scott , too true :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Dec 2018, 7:06 pm

simpsonhey wrote:Hey all so im loving the forum and have lernt a lot. Im looking at getting a second gun for the cabinet. I have a hmr17 which will look after the small criters and range. What would be a good alrounder for the little bit bigger crits like roos or pigs etc. Im thinking a 223 or 243

It depends on how many guns you want to have, if you get a .223 you will probably get something bigger sooner or later.

A .243 is a good allrounder, if you start reloading you can send the 55-70 gr projectiles a few hundred feet per second quicker than a .223 with starting loads with the option of using up to 100gr as well. Trailboss opens up options to forget about rimfires.

A .223 is what pro roo cullers use and ok for smaller pigs, a .243 would be better for big pigs.

Lots of opinions on what to get all valid, in rimfire I would only get .22lr as it's cheapest for ammo, a .223 would be good then something like a 260 rem/7mm-08 or .308 as well. Add a shotgun as well then you have most bases covered.

I know a guy who is 74 who has a .22lr and .243 and db shotgun that is all he has had for about 45 years, he had quite a selection of calibres before that and does really well.

You can only really carry one rifle when on foot and budget plays a big part as well, if money is tight then a .243 would be the go.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles