Accurate factory ammo for Lithgow LA101

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Accurate factory ammo for Lithgow LA101

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jan 2019, 11:34 am

^ not according to a few ppl...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jan 2019, 12:50 pm

Oooh that is pretty^^^
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Jan 2019, 2:02 pm

Buy a cz452... cheaper to boot all time fav, and tack driver.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 14 Jan 2019, 10:33 am

Dont listen to the naysayers, the LA101 is a fine rifle, any feeding issues can be sorted with a tweak of the magazine, the only issue ive had is with an aftermarket 10 rnd mag that stovepiped the 10th rnd until i fixed the follower and spring, mine is a very accurate and easy to shoot 22, just find the ammo thats right for yours and blast away.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 14 Jan 2019, 9:12 pm

PaddyT wrote:Dont listen to the naysayers, the LA101 is a fine rifle, any feeding issues can be sorted with a tweak of the magazine, the only issue ive had is with an aftermarket 10 rnd mag that stovepiped the 10th rnd until i fixed the follower and spring, mine is a very accurate and easy to shoot 22, just find the ammo thats right for yours and blast away.

+1
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by byadbo boy » 05 Feb 2019, 9:42 am

I agree with Paddy T.
My Lithgow is a fine rifle and the feed issues are very easily sorted- I too have only had an issue with an aftermarket magazine .
I also choose to buy my kids and grandkids a job and buy Australian products wherever and whenever possible.
Funnily enough the LA101 seems to be thought of as a premium product in Europe and the US.
There's plenty of baggers out there on everything you can think of and this rifle seems to cop more than its fair share in my opinion.
People buying Tikka T1x's and then spending hundreds of dollars restocking them and other mods to get the weight and quality feel of a Lithgow at then more than the price of one has me scratching my head- but it is their money not mine !
RWS subsonic seems to shoot well with many LA101 owners.
I also use federal premium hunter match as well and it works well.
I use the rifle in a rural application and have been very impressed with accuracy and reliability- and also how practical and hard wearing both the cerakote barrel and synthetic stock have coped- It has been a bit of a revelation.
On a side note mucked around with some CCI "quiet" 22LR last weekend.
Truly a very limited use ammo but was amazed at just how "quiet " it is.
Indian Myna birds beware !
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 05 Feb 2019, 10:30 am

some are butthurt over the la101 misfeeding issues that were quite common earlier on in the picture. Fair enough too I suppose, as they are a comparatively expensive 22. It's just a shame there's a bit of dogma around this now - once you get em shooting they are rather faultless (for what they are).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 05 Feb 2019, 11:28 am

byadbo boy wrote:I agree with Paddy T.
My Lithgow is a fine rifle and the feed issues are very easily sorted- I too have only had an issue with an aftermarket magazine .
I also choose to buy my kids and grandkids a job and buy Australian products wherever and whenever possible.
Funnily enough the LA101 seems to be thought of as a premium product in Europe and the US.
There's plenty of baggers out there on everything you can think of and this rifle seems to cop more than its fair share in my opinion.
People buying Tikka T1x's and then spending hundreds of dollars restocking them and other mods to get the weight and quality feel of a Lithgow at then more than the price of one has me scratching my head- but it is their money not mine !
RWS subsonic seems to shoot well with many LA101 owners.
I also use federal premium hunter match as well and it works well.
I use the rifle in a rural application and have been very impressed with accuracy and reliability- and also how practical and hard wearing both the cerakote barrel and synthetic stock have coped- It has been a bit of a revelation.
On a side note mucked around with some CCI "quiet" 22LR last weekend.
Truly a very limited use ammo but was amazed at just how "quiet " it is.
Indian Myna birds beware !

Ok thats interesting, had a mate approach me about culling some bunnies on his 10 acres (which is surrounded by 40 acre properties), he is currently asking his 3 neighbours if they are ok with it but if I can get in with some really quiet subsonics that may well make it easier to do.Did it shoot fairly accurately?
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 05 Feb 2019, 12:19 pm

Its OK at 25-30 yards - you are talking sub 800 feet per second though so keep it in mind.
It was fun as it is probably the closest thing in real life I will ever get to shooting " suppressed" - it really is that quiet !
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 05 Feb 2019, 12:23 pm

Cheers, havent seen the warrens yet, will have a look first before doing anything
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 05 Feb 2019, 2:59 pm

Buy a box just for the fun of it -It is pretty weird shooting the stuff as I swear a couple of my air rifles are louder -
Its worth it just for the novelty !
I have since purchased a brick as It is great for mucking around on the farm without ear protection.
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 05 Feb 2019, 7:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Oooh that is pretty^^^

You should like these as well .
Screenshot_20190205-204220.jpg
Screenshot_20190205-204220.jpg (857.28 KiB) Viewed 7906 times

Ziad wrote:Buy a cz452... cheaper to boot all time fav, and tack driver.

I had 2 of them clunky things over the last 25 years and after taking Allans advice and buying a 101 I will never go back to the agricultural 22 ever again
Screenshot_20190205-204421.jpg
Screenshot_20190205-204421.jpg (325.65 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by byadbo boy » 06 Feb 2019, 8:31 am

lovely pic- I haven't tried a CZ steel mag in mine.
I am gathering by the photo they obviously work fine so that's good to know !
They sure are sexy in black cerakote with a laminate stock.
Problem for me is I just cant bring myself to bash such a work of art stock around in a farm ute !
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 06 Feb 2019, 1:26 pm

The Ute is 70% of its use and I have found the cerakote is tough enough to cope with knocks from the window sill and frame no probs and l use 6 mags , the 101 mag and the 6 and 10 shot cz both plastic and steel no problem.
It gets used out to 300y on steel plates a lot .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 28 Feb 2019, 3:34 pm

My 101 shoots CCI subs best and so do all my other .22's. I bought a 101 purely for patriotic reasons even though Lithgow are owned by the French. Mine stays in the safe though as I prefer my CZ as it shoots anything well whereas the 101 is very fussy. Mine has feed issues and I know it's an easy fix but at $1050 for a .22 it should not happen and was/is a real disappointment in what is otherwise an extremely well engineered and finished rifle. I think they also need to look into the magazine well and make it a little more snug as the mags are fairly loose and this may be a factor in the feed issues.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 28 Feb 2019, 9:03 pm

Mattraff wrote:My 101 shoots CCI subs best and so do all my other .22's. I bought a 101 purely for patriotic reasons even though Lithgow are owned by the French. Mine stays in the safe though as I prefer my CZ as it shoots anything well whereas the 101 is very fussy. Mine has feed issues and I know it's an easy fix but at $1050 for a .22 it should not happen and was/is a real disappointment in what is otherwise an extremely well engineered and finished rifle. I think they also need to look into the magazine well and make it a little more snug as the mags are fairly loose and this may be a factor in the feed issues.

As much as I like mine they should have used the ruger mags
they would have been very nice to use 10 shots and no crappy
mag hanging out like a unwelcome turd ....
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles